47 replies to this topic

#1 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,336 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:59 AM

It seems I may be going to Beijing (or 'jing as some may say) around the end of July (I know--hot as hell, humid). Just Beijing, not HK, not Shanghai, not any other place. Any hints on what to see or not, where to eat or not, coping with the heat and rain, what to wear/bring/buy, etc.? Any encouragements? Any cautions?
Probably staying in North Chaoyang, not that far from Bird's Nest. No, I do not speak Mandarin, etc. Yes, I can fumble around with chopsticks and eat (and drink) most any thing. OK, I can't drink with chopsticks. TIA.

BTW, does anyone want to be a lowly paid Admin?

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#2 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,336 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:40 AM

Asking for your knowldege. Meanwhile.

Big Freedia

#3 squibble

squibble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:38 PM

The Forbidden City and the Summer Palace were both great to see. I have a recording the OH made of a concert we heard at the Summer Palace and some neat photos of that concert I would like to share on this site, if I can get my technical chops together.

We went to a great place for Peking Duck with a colleague. I'll try to get the name of it. It's been a few years. The place was furnished with what looked like well-worn 1950's kitchenette furniture. It was frequented by those who want to be seen, lots of actors, etc. The food was outstanding, especially the Peking Duck part of the meal. There were hooks on the walls where they would hang up your duck carcass in a plastic bag so that you could take it home to make the soup.

Sorry, this is a little rambling and not very informative.

#4 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,336 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:46 PM

The Forbidden City and the Summer Palace were both great to see. I have a recording the OH made of a concert we heard at the Summer Palace and some neat photos of that concert I would like to share on this site, if I can get my technical chops together.

We went to a great place for Peking Duck with a colleague. I'll try to get the name of it. It's been a few years. The place was furnished with what looked like well-worn 1950's kitchenette furniture. It was frequented by those who want to be seen, lots of actors, etc. The food was outstanding, especially the Peking Duck part of the meal. There were hooks on the walls where they would hang up your duck carcass in a plastic bag so that you could take it home to make the soup.

Sorry, this is a little rambling and not very informative.

hang up your duck!

Big Freedia

#5 squibble

squibble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:51 PM

I almost forgot to mention this small thing. If you happen to be in the area, the Hyatt has a very pretty little patisserie shop with the most beautiful chocolate sculptures of a Chinese tea set. They would not allow me to photograph it. If you do go, sneak a photo before the mean lady can stop you, ok?

There's a street of souvenir type shops right next to the Hyatt. The main government-run souvenir center had better prices. The high-end shops at the mall were always empty when we were there.

#6 squibble

squibble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:58 PM

Summer Palace Concert
http://soundcloud.co...c/summer-palace

The OH recorded this and then had to go to great lengths to clean up the noise from the audience. Photos of the musicians and instruments are on the way.

#7 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,336 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:00 PM

Summer Palace Concert
http://soundcloud.co...c/summer-palace

The OH recorded this and then had to go to great lengths to clean up the noise from the audience. Photos of the musicians and instruments are on the way.

hey, thanks!

Big Freedia

#8 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,727 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:15 PM

I am REALLY jealous. I loved Beijing. I posted some stuff about it here: link
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#9 Eatmywords

Eatmywords

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:09 PM

We were there about 3 yrs ago. Obviously Tiananmen Sq, Forbidden City and Summer Palace with an emphasis on Summer Palace. It’s beautiful and spread out. A nice get away from the mobs you’ll surely encounter at the other spots.

Posted Image

When you leave Forbidden City hang a right (I think) and walk along the rear wall/moat. Few people seem to take this path and it is very pretty.

Posted Image

The Peking/Beijing Opera is an experience with its traditional costumes, makeup, acrobatics and martial arts along with light story lines anyone (foreigner) can follow. Definitely worth it.

Our most memorable meal took place in the supposed oldest Peking duck restaurant, Bianyifang, founded in 1416, which lays claim to originating the Peking preparation. Truly the best iteration we've had to date and the room is quite a step back in time. (Easy walking distance from Tiananmen/Forbidden City too. 1km maybe)

Posted Image

I believe they had a couple other rooms too.

Great Wall excursion? You really should. What kind of challenge are you up for? It seemed the further from Beijing the more challenging the vertical the less tourists (for obvious reasons of course). The spot they took us to was over 2hrs from the city and practically deserted. Wasn’t an easy 5k hike but very much worthwhile.

Posted Image

At the end you had the option of zip lining over a river from what felt like a thousand feet. Many were scared shitless (me) but proud they took the leap. What a rush that was.

These poor girls had no choice. Their parents forcefully harnessed them and quickly had the attendant push them off. They cried loudly.

Posted Image

After they ferried us to our hotel a few minutes down river for a traditional feast of river fish and quantities of Tsingtao and shaojiu.

#10 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,527 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:20 PM

At the end you had the option of zip lining over a river from what felt like a thousand feet. Many were scared shitless (me) but proud they took the leap. What a rush that was.

You did that?????????????????????????

(Shouldn't they have given you the mass quantities of Tsingtao BEFORE?)
Bar Loser

MF Old

#11 Eatmywords

Eatmywords

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:36 PM

Nuts right? Esp when considering the rural “Chinese safety codes”.

#12 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,527 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:02 PM

I'm not worthy to have dinner with you.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#13 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,336 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:05 PM

I'm not worthy to have dinner with you.

but you're still alive! wanna be an admin?

Big Freedia

#14 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,527 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:16 PM

I'll do that.

Not for six months, though.