Posted Image

#19 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,946 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 01:59 PM

nice photos. can i just use yours and save the time of running all over town looking for photo opps?

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#20 Eatmywords

Eatmywords

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 02:03 PM

Oooh, lucky you! We didnít see any performances. What beautiful pics.

Boy, does that chimes(?) player look happy to be there.

#21 squibble

squibble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 03:12 PM

Thanks to both of you! Eatmyworms, fear of heights gripped me on the steeper stairs at Mutianyu and I couldn't go as far as the OH.

#22 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,621 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:47 PM

Since things change so fast, one of the best recommendations I can give you is the website city weekend: http://www.cityweeke...istings/dining/

It has a bunch of reviews by english-speaking locals and expats, mostly we found them quite reliable and up to date (I've found a couple of very off-the-map places this way, high quality but geared towards local foodies.) I use the site in Shanghai as well.

Here is a good tip: Taxicabs are really cheap, but few of the drivers really speak english (they were supposed to learn for the olympics, but it doesn't really work..) What helped was to download the address of the restaurant we wanted to go to (in Chinese, obv.) onto a smart phone and show the cabbies that.

IIRC the subway system was efficient as well, but crowded and sometimes pretty hot.

It will be really hot, but just take it easy and drink lots of water. There are people all over the place selling ice water. Tourist prices of course, but when you think about how little it means for you vs. the person selling it, it is hard to feel that bad.

If you want to do some advance reading, try to get your hands on this book:
http://www.amazon.co...a/dp/0262610035

It's out of print but not too hard to come across copies. Great and moving account of life in Beijing in the 30's as well as a lot of research about how the city looked during the time of Ghengis Khan...

Make sure you go to the top of the hill in the park that is up behind the forbidden city. Can't think of the name, but great great view. Actually, go early in the morning, then you also get to watch the seniors practicing tai chi, water calligraphy, Chinese opera and whatever else they're into. I spent a couple of hours there just sitting on a bench and people watching. They have a small entry charge so it is less crowded than some other spots (temple of heaven is beautiful but gets really crazy after 10am:)

If you are into that sort of thing, the 798 arts district is a fun visit. Some galleries are better than others but there are some cool cafes and it's also good for bringing back non-lame gifts. (Although, I think the coolest thing I brought back for a friend was a big disk of Pu'er tea.)

We also bought a lot of modern porcelain at Spin, can dig up the address if you are interested.
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#23 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,946 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:12 PM

Thanks for the help! As for porcelain, I'd probably break it. I try to go with unbreakable things. That way it's more of a challenge for me to break them.

Big Freedia

#24 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,697 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

So I am booking my trip to China.. I am deciding on whether or not I am going to spend two days here.. The way my travel schedule works, i would be arriving mid day in Beijing, then have the following full day and then have to leave at 5 pm the next day.. It;s really the only time I have to spend there.. I am wondering if it is enough time or should I just head to Sichuan?
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#25 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,946 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:51 PM

So I am booking my trip to China.. I am deciding on whether or not I am going to spend two days here.. The way my travel schedule works, i would be arriving mid day in Beijing, then have the following full day and then have to leave at 5 pm the next day.. It;s really the only time I have to spend there.. I am wondering if it is enough time or should I just head to Sichuan?

There are a plethora of historical sites to see in Beijing.

Big Freedia

#26 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,697 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:06 PM

Oh, I know, my question is, is two days worth it or should I hold off until I have more time?

#27 squibble

squibble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:11 PM

You can do a lot in two days. You have endless energy when you land from those long flights, unlike me! It took us almost a whole day to see the Forbidden City and another day for The Summer Palace.

What's Sichuan like?

#28 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,445 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:30 PM

Oh, I know, my question is, is two days worth it or should I hold off until I have more time?

I also did two days as part of a business trip. You can def see the Forbidden city, summer palace, etc. Its probably worth it.

From what I've read I don't think the cities in Sichuan will have much appeal beyond eating. Frankly Chongqing sounds like hell on earth.
Why not mayo?

#29 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,946 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:30 PM

You can do a lot in two days. You have endless energy when you land from those long flights, unlike me! It took us almost a whole day to see the Forbidden City and another day for The Summer Palace.

Try one of these.

Big Freedia

#30 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,697 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:42 PM

What's Sichuan like?

Well, there is Chengdu, the capital of Sichuan. You can see Pandas, there are Temples and it is a very old city.. There are tons of tea houses and hot pot places and basically eat and drink my way through the city..