10 replies to this topic

#1 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,798 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:38 PM

I was sort of curious about this farm - their product line seemed similar to the one offered by Hudson Valley Foie Gras (except the foie) and they're both located in Ferndale. However, there's no mention of foie on the HVDF site:

http://www.hudsonval...kfarm.com/blog/

Nor is there an exact address provided.

However, when you go to the domain registry, you see that:

Registrant:
hudson valley duck farm
80 brooks road
ferndale, NY 12734

And it's also easy to find that:

http://www.hudsonval.../abouthvfg.html

Hudson Valley Foie Gras
80 Brooks Road

Ferndale, NY 12734-5101

I hardly have anything against foie but I was wondering if anyone knew for a fact if these two are the same and why they were carefully maintaining two identities.

I never said that

#2 FoodDabbler

FoodDabbler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:52 PM

I'd guess it's because the HV foie gras operation has been the subject
of lawsuits and they want another legal/business identity under which
to continue selling rillettes and so forth.

#3 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,611 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:55 PM

I don't know about Hudson Valley, but the Griggstown Quail Farm in NJ has been attacked by eco-terrorists several times. On one raid, the attackers cut fences, broke into poultry houses, and drove quail, guinea hens, chickens, etc out onto the highway. With predictable results.

I guess they had to die, so others could live...

Doesn't make much sense to me.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#4 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:31 AM

They used to be called HVFG but changed their name to HVDF.
“And another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

Really, people will tell you all kinds of garbage. Don't believe it.

You don't have to move on until you're ready.”

#5 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,611 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:24 PM

Elisa Ung of the Bergen Record recently wrote about her visit to Hudson Valley, and her visit to the feeding pens. the company has embraced a new, open, "come and see" approach

Behind the foie gras

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#6 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,489 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:31 PM

we bought some smoked duck breast from them at the New Amsterdam market last Sunday and they mentioned they would have duck livers coming soon. i guess i never made the connection but makes sense
“Eat me,’’ it says. “Eat me and die.’’ -- Jonathan Gold

Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it's not the end.

#7 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,891 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:38 PM

we bought some smoked duck breast from them at the New Amsterdam market last Sunday and they mentioned they would have duck livers coming soon. i guess i never made the connection but makes sense

I bought a half-pound on Monday. I think I'll make a bit of pate today.

#8 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,934 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:47 PM

Oooh. I'll have to check with them at Tribeca Greenmarket on Saturday. Besides, it's about time I started trying to get some whole moulards from them for confit. Last year it didn't work out all that well, but maybe this year it will.

I will say that the prepared products I've bought from them (salami, prosciutto) have been excellent. As are the whole ducks, of course.

I try never to dine with other people. It just makes things so much easier. -- Anthony Bonner, March 28, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#9 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,798 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 06:11 PM

They used to be called HVFG but changed their name to HVDF.

They still run the HVFG site where they sell foie and the foie book and separately the HVDF where there's no word of foie. Sneaky.

In any event, Lola duck breasts are an excellent thing. The rest of the bird too but there isn't that much of it.

I never said that

#10 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,443 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 06:13 PM

Oooh. I'll have to check with them at Tribeca Greenmarket on Saturday. Besides, it's about time I started trying to get some whole moulards from them for confit. Last year it didn't work out all that well, but maybe this year it will.

I will say that the prepared products I've bought from them (salami, prosciutto) have been excellent. As are the whole ducks, of course.

i don't know what kind of ducks Quattros raises, or the quality, but I assume they'll bring some to the USGM if you call and ask. probably less expensive than ordering on-line.

Hush, hush.  Keep it down now.

#11 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,934 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 06:38 PM

i don't know what kind of ducks Quattros raises, or the quality, but I assume they'll bring some to the USGM if you call and ask. probably less expensive than ordering on-line.

Sure, I could order/pick up from Quattro at the market at the Andaz Wall Street on Saturday. Their stuff is fine (had a very good goose from them a couple of years ago). But I kind of have a relationship with the Hudson Valley folks who come to Tribeca, so even if it takes me several weeks to work it out, I'm happy with them. But thanks for the reminder -- if I can't work it out, I'll check with Quattro. Both sources are less of a schlep than USGM. :)

Ori -- a Lola done in the rotisserie is perfect for two people. Not very pretty, what with all the dark pin feathers, but delicious.

I try never to dine with other people. It just makes things so much easier. -- Anthony Bonner, March 28, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table