4 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,331 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:17 PM

Corrado's has apparently taken over the space occupied by Vince's County Market (480 US 46 East, Fairfield), as it's now listed in the Corrado circular, along with Wayne and Clifton. This is a much smaller place than either of the other locations, but it may do well in that community.

Same prices for advertised items in all three places
--Brooklyn Bread $1.50 for 12 oz
--Jersey Fresh bell peppers and plum tomatoes for 69 cents
--Plums and peaches 69 cents
--Hormel Genoa salami $4.99
--Corrado's Sardegna EVOO $10 for a liter

The Clifton store has a 30 Qt propane turkey fryer for $70, and 50# of high gluten bread flour for $20 (they've used Bay State Milling and King Arthur in the past). Six cans of tomatoes (6lb, 10 oz per can) peeled for $20.

Corrado's

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#2 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,331 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 01:44 PM

Exactly as expected. Rock bottom prices on many vegetables (Jersey plum tomatoes for 69 cents, Mexican beefsteak tomatoes for 99 cents, peeled garlic for $2.99, etc). Good prices on melons, greens, several kinds of mushrooms, etc. Small selection of breads, with several Garfield, Wallington bakeries and Brooklyn Bakery loaves. Small bread area, but superior to Stop & Shop and Shop-Rite nearby.

Cheese had a few deals, but a decent selection. Raspberry chevre (?) for $3#, Stilton for $2#, fresh mozz, etc. Nowhere near the selection (or I presume storage chain) of the Affinage down the street, and Corrado doesn't always have clearly expressed expiration dates on all cheese items. No selection of spice jars, which has been a huge part of Wayne and Clifton stores. Same warning on use by dates.

There was a small selection of bagged meats, with some good looking items. Beef tenderloin for $4.99 a pound on a ten pound piece. Likely a Select grade, but not marked for Australian. Ground beef for $1.99.

This is a small store. I think Corrado's has gone with its strengths, and I'm sure they'll do well.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#3 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,331 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:47 PM

Stopped by today, after a visit to Affinage.

Several impressive deals on things like olive oil (Sardinian EVOO for $6.99 L), plum tomatoes (.69 #), etc. Several breads for 99 cents, including Gerbino's (from Garfield), Brooklyn Bread Co, and Minardi (once of Paterson, now of Denville).

Danish blue cheese for $4.99 a pound, Pecorino Romano for $5.99 3, Jalapeno Havarti (?, at $3.49 a pound). I crumbled some of the blue cheese into scrambled eggs, and it was superb.

The store is already expanding. Footings are in for a near doubling of the floor space.

...Jonathan Waxman

#4 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,331 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:02 PM

The doubling expansion has now been completed, and the store is reconfiguring the shopping space. There's now a 20 foot long salad bar with dozens of prepared foods. The vegetable bins have been expanded, and there's a lot more deli and butcher space.

Among the specials today:

-asparagus for 99 cents. Older, thicker asparagus, definitely not the thin stuff I prefer
-kale for 69 cents in excellent shape
-2# of older onions for 89 cents, already sprouting
-two breakfast goat cheeses (honey, fig) 6 oz for 99 cents each
-Oltermanni baby Muenster cheese, 8 oz for $2
-Asiago cheese for $6.99#
-walnut washed brie @ $7.49
-Gerbino (IIRC) bread for 79 cents

And a whole lot of meat for stews, etc. They had a ribeye for $7, chicken breasts for $5, etc. Every imaginable dry pasta, dozens of choices, lots of European imports. The cookie and cake center is up and running, probably 30 feet long. An enormous selection of gourmet cookies.

They also had the Jarlsberg cheese for $7.99. It's regularly on sale at Wegman's. Shop-Rite, etc for $4 or less.

I don't get here all that often, but I suspect this store could be a really tight place when things get busy. There are a number of places where shopping carts can't pass, or displays project into busy aisles.

Nice place, friendly people.

...Jonathan Waxman

#5 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,331 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:15 PM

The remodeling seems to be about done, and the store looks very nice.

Large cheese section, with much short dated cheese (Grana Padana for $7#, Asiago for $4, smoke mozz for $5) nowhere near the variety and specialization offered down the street at Affinage. Some of the cheese looks like it may have packed for restaurants, with 5# bags of grated cheese, shredded cheese, big chunks of hard cheese, etc.

Mushrooms for $1.50#, chard for .79, green and red peppers for .89, etc. They've added San Felice tipo 00 farine in a half kg bag for $3, Baroody semolina from Turkey at 2# for $2.49, roasted coffee beans at $5#, and huge amount of meat a relatively low prices.

They're bringing a lot of flowers, vegetables, hanging baskets, etc into the area behind the store, but I didn't go back there today.

...Jonathan Waxman