81 replies to this topic

#16 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,934 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 01:49 PM

But . . . but . . . Jason's father (?) said "You don't have to clean it, but most people don't think old burns really taste all that good" (around 00:50). (Back up one post from Daniel's.)

:lol:

Wash the scraper? Huh?? Wipe it, maybe, but wash?

I try never to dine with other people. It just makes things so much easier. -- Anthony Bonner, March 28, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#17 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66,676 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 01:57 PM

He put the scraper into a container when he was done with it. Might have been some water in there, but it wasn't running water so it would hardly count as washing.

#18 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:43 PM

By the way, I've eaten there after Wilf wrote his review. No fish/meat mix on the grill that I could see (or taste). While not a destination place for me, I wouldnt mind going back. Nice prices, some interesting dishes and simply grilled decent quality meats. Not sure what they're doing with the wine list, but it's reasonable and interesting enough. In case anyone doesnt already know this, from the owners of Fette Sau (across the street) and Spuyten Duyvil bar.
Please... no more snow.

#19 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66,676 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 02:28 PM

If they've stopped cooking beef and sardines together, well done. I don't know why they were doing it in the first place.

#20 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,489 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:02 PM

By the way, I've eaten there after Wilf wrote his review. No fish/meat mix on the grill that I could see (or taste). While not a destination place for me, I wouldnt mind going back. Nice prices, some interesting dishes and simply grilled decent quality meats. Not sure what they're doing with the wine list, but it's reasonable and interesting enough. In case anyone doesnt already know this, from the owners of Fette Sau (across the street) and Spuyten Duyvil bar.

we were there last Sat., happened to be in the area. a good meal - the hanger and various vegetables - off the grill. love the wine list. one might term it geeky but lots of favorites there and i love any place that serves vin jaune by the glass - the price points are barely above retail in some cases. what they don't have is staff familiar with the wines, which is a shame.
“Eat me,’’ it says. “Eat me and die.’’ -- Jonathan Gold

Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it's not the end.

#21 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,771 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:02 PM

Love the wine list. Love love love it.

Love the staff. The waitress was so sweet, and so clearly wanted to learn about their wine, that I gave her a taste of each of the many bottles we bought.

People complain about hipster service, but this was its good side: caring, enthusiastic, engaged.

The food: good. Not great. The meat didn't seem that fishy. (The sardines seemed very fishy.) It just didn't seem like the best meat in the world. (Maybe if we ordered the ridiculously huge Kobe steak they were offering . . . .) Not bad by any means, though. Fairly imaginatively prepared.

I'd go back just for the wine, to tell you the truth.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#22 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,489 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:35 PM

Love the wine list. Love love love it.

Love the staff. The waitress was so sweet, and so clearly wanted to learn about their wine, that I gave her a taste of each of the many bottles we bought.

People complain about hipster service, but this was its good side: caring, enthusiastic, engaged.

The food: good. Not great. The meat didn't seem that fishy. (The sardines seemed very fishy.) It just didn't seem like the best meat in the world. (Maybe if we ordered the ridiculously huge Kobe steak they were offering . . . .) Not bad by any means, though. Fairly imaginatively prepared.

I'd go back just for the wine, to tell you the truth.

we totally go just for the wine - the food is good enough but the wines are the reason. (i'd never expect "the best meat in the world" though)

staff's wine knowledge stumps me. they have these fantastic wines but the staff has not tasted any of them so can't really sell them. not sure why the owners run it this way, esp. since the staff seems so eager and interested but, hey, i guess more quirky wines for me. we always share with them too and i noticed they always share with each other, which is very nice.

so, what did you drink?

#23 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,771 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:47 PM

Half bottles of a 2000 Huet Vouvray sec and a Condrieu (don't ask me the year).

And, a bottle of a nux special: Movia Veliko Rosso (also don't ask the year).
Bar Loser

MF Old

#24 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,489 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:01 PM

Half bottles of a 2000 Huet Vouvray sec and a Condrieu (don't ask me the year).

And, a bottle of a nux special: Movia Veliko Rosso (also don't ask the year).

nice!

#25 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,116 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:37 PM

Maybe I have to head across a bridge someday; sounds very good.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#26 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66,676 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:48 PM

Maybe I'll try it again. Sounds like they've sorted the grilling out.

#27 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:13 AM

Maybe I'll try it again. Sounds like they've sorted the grilling out.

I thought I said that 5 months ago.
Please... no more snow.

#28 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,703 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:57 AM

We had dinner there last night.. Arrived at around 10:15 to a place full of people.. The place had one table leaving and there were also just two seats available at the counter which, was directly across from the open kitchen.. From our vantage point we could see what was going on in the entire kitchen.

Most of the cooking does center around the grill.. There was a couple of those huge ol cowboy chop ribeyes on the grill, looked like a couple of skirt steaks, some clams being grilled, long beans, some bacon first being grilled on a plate, then finished off on the grill, we watched them put a couple of spinach gratins in the broiler, and there were long beans on the grill.. The place smells just fantastic.

Initially we were going to order the grilled artichoke hearts with some sort of aioli but, we were told the artichokes were canned.. One of the specials of the evening was grilled "whole salmon" which meant, they only served the grilled head and tail.. Wow, do we wish, Miss K the girl who eats salmon like a bear, was there to split that with us. Our final decision included the grilled eggplant three ways, the patty melt, and the grilled mackerel.

The eggplant dish was delicious. It came with a deep fried square of goat cheese, a few different types of perfectly grilled eggplant in what tasted like a light honey sauce, served along side some super sweet cooked down onions.. Everything was good on it's own and in combination.. Miss A loves herself some eggplant and she was very happy with the dish.

The patty melt was a thing of beauty.. We watched them grill the bread, they made a large patty from pork and beef, grilled it to a perfect medium rare, and then topped with cheese and more of those sweet stewed onions.. The bread was a thick rye..

Mackerel came out cooked perfectly as well.. Very moist, had vinegar butter sauce with it.. Very happy with this dish as well..

The space is really pretty, staff was very nice, the food was very enjoyable.
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#29 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66,676 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:32 PM

I thought I said that 5 months ago.

Yes you did. I was awaiting other data points. :P

#30 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66,676 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:37 PM

Comparing prices after seeing comments that Masten Lake was too expensive. Appetizers same range, $8-$14 (except foie gras outlier). The St Anselm entrees look cheaper, $15-$19 against $19-$24 - both places have outliers - but they come ungarnished. Add $4-$5 for each vegetable.

Presentation is important.