359 replies to this topic

#331 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,265 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:31 PM

Yes to Wilf and Sneak. Although restaurants that operate like this aren't quite the minority that I think you suggest. Indochine and some of the hipster joints really operate despite pans and only have nominally more online presence (simply due to the fact that people who frequent those places are more likely to go online). But to succeed that you, you need to have a cultural niche. Le Cirque certainly does. What's Romera's?

Sure, but Oakie wanted to frame the discussion in terms of expensive restaurants.

#332 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,265 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:34 PM

I've been to GR. I'm sure Wilfrid and the Johnsons have been to GR. (Of course, three of those four are expatriate Brits.)

A lot of MF members have been, as the Ramsay thread doubtless indicates.

I was just questioning how we know that it doesn't draw a local crowd. I don't think Oakapple's armchair deduction that it doesn't draw a local crowd because it's off the media radar is valid. Some restaurants do. (Of course, maybe it doesn't; I just don't know how we'd know.)

#333 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,530 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:39 PM

I grab snacks or drinks at the bar sometimes and I never see anyone I know heading for the dining room.

That should be determinative.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#334 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,574 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:19 PM

Steve Cuozzo reports that the Dream Hotel is actively shopping the Romera space. The restaurant is expected to remain open, but it would be replaced as soon as a new operator can be found. That may take a while, as the windowless basement dining room is considered somewhat awkward. Also, the hotel wants someone that would be a Michelin star contender, apparently having concluded that one mediocre restaurant in the same hotel (steakhouse Marble Lane) is enough.

ETA: Eater contacted a rep for the hotel, who claimed the story is untrue, though I still tend to believe Cuozzo.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#335 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,265 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:54 PM

Nothing to celebrate, but inevitable. They could have hired me to consult ("That won't work") and saved some money.

#336 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,574 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:01 PM

I had thought they'd tough it out till October, to see if Michelin showed more love than the NYC critics (the Doctor had 2* in Spain). But yeah, if ever there were a concept that seemed doomed from the start, this was it.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#337 SethG

SethG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,288 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:25 PM

Shame it will likely close before I've saved up enough money to go give it the fair hearing it deserves!
Why yes, I do have a rock climbing blog! Climb and Punishment

#338 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,064 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:32 PM

(the Doctor had 2* in Spain).

I remembered one star, but I don't even see it on the current michelin list - did he close there too, or was it demoted?
I never said that

#339 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,574 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:42 PM

(the Doctor had 2* in Spain).

I remembered one star, but I don't even see it on the current michelin list - did he close there too, or was it demoted?

Sorry, I was mistaken. He had one star, and the place has since closed.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#340 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:42 AM

I think the one in spain closed so that he could open here.

#341 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,574 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:03 PM

Dunzo.

I'll admit I called that one wrong. I thought it would hold out until the Michelin 2013 guide came out, in hopes of a star and the international visitor business that goes with it. But if business is bad enough, sometimes you just can't wait that long.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#342 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:16 PM

Dunzo.

I'll admit I called that one wrong. I thought it would hold out until the Michelin 2013 guide came out, in hopes of a star and the international visitor business that goes with it. But if business is bad enough, sometimes you just can't wait that long.

They had some interesting tableware. Think they'll be available on the auction block?

#343 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,346 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:20 PM

I imagine there is an interesting back story behind how they ended up choosing such an unusual operator and a concept so far out of the mainstream,
Why not mayo?

#344 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,574 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:27 PM

I imagine there is an interesting back story behind how they ended up choosing such an unusual operator and a concept so far out of the mainstream,

In all fairness, it was a concept that had already worked somewhere else. So I don't think it was totally crazy to imagine it would work here, but for the fact that New York tends to chew up and spit out imported restaurant concepts.

Now, there are aspects of the WAY they implemented it that any local could've told them were going to be extremely problematic, if not fatal. On the other hand, I am pretty sure there were people who thought that Masa, with its $500 sushi menu ($300 originally), couldn't succeed here; eight years later it's still in business. And at the opposite end of the quality spectrum, so is Ninja.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#345 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,277 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:33 PM

In all fairness, it was a concept that had already worked somewhere else. So I don't think it was totally crazy to imagine it would work here, but for the fact that New York tends to chew up and spit out imported restaurant concepts.

Now, there are aspects of the WAY they implemented it that any local could've told them were going to be extremely problematic, if not fatal. On the other hand, I am pretty sure there were people who thought that Masa, with its $500 sushi menu ($300 originally), couldn't succeed here; eight years later it's still in business. And at the opposite end of the quality spectrum, so is Ninja.

hmmm... How successful was L'Esguard really? It got pretty terrible internet press and then closed. Why did it close? I don't know, but the reason will be telling. After all, Masa didn't come to NYC because Ginza failed, it's still an incredibly successful restaurant by any measure in the hands of his protege.

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.