11 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,611 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 01:29 PM

Elisa Ung offers a review of this small, quirky establishment (98 W Palisade Ave., Englewood 201-568-4570) and gives it 2 and a half stars. The review doesn't read that well, though.

The Kitchen can be a fun experience, but it's important to keep a few things in mind. First, it's best to reserve a table here for a leisurely evening catching up with friends — not when you want to dine and dash. On one evening, 30 minutes passed between when we placed our orders and when we received them. (This didn't bother us, as we anticipated a lag and the canapés made it seem much shorter.) Also keep in mind that delivering hors d'oeuvres creates more work for servers, and they can't be everywhere at once.

Executive chef Wade New's menu is very short and, to its credit, highly seasonal. With one exception — its signature fried chicken and waffles — it's mostly based around proteins. The staff gives you a list of the options — hanger steak, pork chop, veal rib chop, salmon, a fish of the day, a vegetarian plate — and tells you how each is being prepared; they'll also tell you about any other specials that evening.

No one asked us about dietary restrictions, but speak up if you have any. Not just because of the hors d'oeuvres, but also because of the family-style sides that they'll bring to your table. These included potato salad on one evening and black-eyed peas on another; both tasted strongly of bacon, dismaying friends who don't eat pork.

Those who will enjoy The Kitchen the most are people who will be charmed by the retro atmosphere (complete with the same green-lined plates that are probably in millions of American households) and the ability to visit the small kitchen (you'll need to, to get to the bathroom). Also, it's helpful if you're open to trying new foods. While the passed canapés are intended to evoke the '30s, the five items we were served on each visit evoked flavors classic and modern: One dinner included a truffled deviled egg and chicken liver mousse with apple slaw on flatbread; another brought salmon tartare on a lotus chip, cold cucumber soup, and a dollop of macaroni and cheese on a cheese crisp.

Kitchen

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#2 menton1

menton1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:06 AM

The review doesn't read that well

Very true! I don't know why the 2 1/2 stars, the text seems more like 1 1/2! I think everything we thought and wrote about this place a year ago when it got panned by those who went there is true, and it's still a must to avoid...

#3 menton1

menton1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:39 PM

Passed by this place yesterday, "For Rent" sign dominated the window...

#4 menton1

menton1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:51 PM

Any rumors on what may go in this space?

#5 marauder

marauder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:24 PM

For clarification, the actual restaurant The Kitchen has moved to a new space, not closed.

#6 menton1

menton1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:58 PM

For clarification, the actual restaurant The Kitchen has moved to a new space, not closed.

Where are they now?

#7 JonJacob

JonJacob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:56 PM

Where are they now?

Next to the Starbucks in Englewood on Palisade Ave.

#8 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,611 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:31 PM

New review in the Record by (new) reviewer Bob Probert.

Three stars, with a note the rating "might have been higher" if service had been better.

http://www.northjers..._Englewood.html

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#9 menton1

menton1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:55 AM

Interesting.  In the old spot it was very quirky.  I peered in at the space a few weeks ago when I was in Englewood-- really nice space, spent lots of money. And I guess they gave up the kitsch for a straightforward, fine dining restaurant.  Looks like it's working.  Have to try it soon.

BTW-- What happened to Elisa Ung?  I liked her.

#10 menton1

menton1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:59 PM

Looks like this move has paid off-- this place is packed every night.  Good to see that they changed from that community-table, old appliances look to one of a real restaurant.  Being in between Starbucks (busiest SB in New Jersey!) and Blue Moon can't hurt.  

I hear that since the move, the place is turning out exceptional food, menu looks something like what Christine Nunn tried to do in Fair Lawn.  Englewood is likely a much better location.  Looks like very interesting, creative, slight risk-taking dishes.  Great stuff.  Like I said, very reminiscent of Picnic. 

I'll have to get over to this place really soon.  Anybody been there since the move?

This place sounds right up Rail Paul's alley, maybe he'll get there before I do.

http://www.thekitche....com/index.html

#11 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,611 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:57 PM

Interesting.  In the old spot it was very quirky.  I peered in at the space a few weeks ago when I was in Englewood-- really nice space, spent lots of money. And I guess they gave up the kitsch for a straightforward, fine dining restaurant.  Looks like it's working.  Have to try it soon.

BTW-- What happened to Elisa Ung?  I liked her.

I didn't see this on my first go around with the thread.

My guess is Ms Ung is on some kind of leave, as the paper says her reviews will resume in the Summer. Once in a while her reviews would be real clinkers, but I often found myself in general agreement with her narrative.  The one quirk i found was a review where the stars were way out of line with the description. That happened on a regular basis

...Jonathan Waxman

#12 picnicchef

picnicchef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

Elisa is on maternity leave. Her second!