10 replies to this topic

#1 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,750 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:14 PM

If I roast corn on the cob in the oven is there anything I need to do to it besides removing the outermost husk and rinsing/soaking the corn? It's just going to end up in a salad so I don't plan to do any fancy prep

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#2 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,114 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:17 PM

I usually open the husk up and remove the silk before soaking and closing it again.
I never said that

#3 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:43 PM

If its going in a salad, and you want some color on it for flavor why not cut it off the cob first then roast. Easier to handle it that way.
Why not mayo?

#4 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,518 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 05:01 PM

Husk, remove the silk, rub a little oil on it, roast. No need to soak.

You can do it in a cast-iron skillet, too, without heating up the whole kitchen. Just turn it from time to time. (That's how I do it.)

I don't want to seem obsessed with this, but . . . -- Sneakeater, August 13, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#5 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,750 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 05:16 PM

i have always thought that the silk comes off more easily after cooking, but i could be imagining that. ended up steaming in the microwave with the husk on and will roast off the cob in the oven. the remainder of the cooked corn and corn milk will become esquites, tomorrow. thanks guys!

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#6 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 05:22 PM

I've roasted corn the same basic way that I grill it: I just apply heat, no prepping involved (and no pre-soaking necessary). Husk it afterwards and the silk comes off much more easily. Also, this seems to impart some interesting flavors. I can't remember how long I oven-roasted for, but for grilling it's about 12 minutes on a medium-high grill, turned once at the halfway mark. Just did this last night and the corn was cooked perfectly.

#7 Steven Dilley

Steven Dilley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 07:28 PM

What GG said. I take off the outermost leaves and toss the corn straight onto a hot grill. 10 minutes or so, a brief rest--during which the corn continues to steam a bit--and the remaining husk and silk are easily removed.
Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them.

--H.L.Mencken

Sissies and wastoids

#8 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,114 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:56 PM

pre-silking is more of a presentation thing, but I've put unsoaked corn on a grill before to have the husk spontaneously combust (it makes very fine ashes that Noma might like to use)
I never said that

#9 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 09:43 PM

pre-silking is more of a presentation thing, but I've put unsoaked corn on a grill before to have the husk spontaneously combust (it makes very fine ashes that Noma might like to use)

Yeah, special attention is called for. Haven't ever had mine combust, but my corn's like REALLY locally sourced.

#10 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,034 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:19 AM

i have always thought that the silk comes off more easily after cooking, but i could be imagining that. ended up steaming in the microwave with the husk on and will roast off the cob in the oven. the remainder of the cooked corn and corn milk will become esquites, tomorrow. thanks guys!

I'll often soak and roast the ears on the grill (leaves and tassels on). About two minutes per side for five turns. Let it steam, then slice the kernels off and add to a good salsa.

With ears of corn in the 20 cents range right now, you can do a whole slew of them and jar the kernels with salsa for weeks.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#11 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,750 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:56 AM

this was local bicolor corn, i ended up roasting the steamed kernals on a hot comal in the oven. i bought some red corn that i'm taking to a cookout tomorrow, that will go on the grill in the husk.

~Jack Handey