32 replies to this topic

#1 Really Nice!

Really Nice!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 04:47 PM

Chef Gary Danko sears an inch-thick slice of duck liver in a small pan in the San Francisco restaurant where he earned a Michelin star until the meat develops a golden-brown shell.

The delicacy known by its French name, foie gras, is garnished with figs and champagne grapes, a variation on a dish he’s served since opening Restaurant Gary Danko near Fisherman’s Wharf in 1999.

“I sell probably 40 orders a night or more,” Danko said in an interview while salting the meat. “When the protesters are here, double that.”

#2 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,041 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:12 PM

I see an opportunity for marijuana growers to branch out.

#3 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,910 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:41 PM

But it's okay for people to stuff zillion-calorie, high-fat, high-sodium burger+cheese+bacon+fries+pancakes+donuts+godknowswhatelse (or even just 4 cheeseburgers combined in one bun) down their own throats. Yup. That's just dandy.

the people who flock to dine at the restaurant on account of its reputation/stars are getting their money's worth because what they are after is a piece of the reputation/stars and nothing else. their money is not wasted. -- mongo jones, 11/5/2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#4 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,962 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:54 PM

It's not about health. It's about purported animal cruelty.

And she was.

#5 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:13 PM

Yet eating factory farmed chicken doesn't bother them.
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#6 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,627 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:32 PM

I think the goal is a vegan diet but they are too chicken to say it out loud. By going after an elitist food they can look saintly.

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#7 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,349 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:00 PM

ducks are sacred, but it's okay to kill our children by stuffing their gullets with unhealthy foods. how is nationalized child abuse less cruel?

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#8 squibble

squibble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:29 PM

I think you mean geese. :)

#9 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,349 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:41 PM

here's the article, danko is serving duck liver. the protesters want to save ducks and geese, of course, of course. the reference in the original post referred to the duck liver served at danko. i wonder what the livers of obese american children taste like. they probably taste of twinkies and pop-tarts.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#10 squibble

squibble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:43 PM

here's the article, danko is serving duck liver. the protesters want to save ducks and geese, of course, of course. the reference in the original post referred to the duck liver served at danko. i wonder what the livers of obese american children taste like. probably taste of twinkies and pop-tarts.

Oh sorry! I thought foie gras always referred to goose liver! I was curious if they fatten ducks the same way. The crazy thing is, I read duck and saw goose. I'm a silly goose.

#11 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,962 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:29 PM

ducks are sacred, but it's okay to kill our children by stuffing their gullets with unhealthy foods. how is nationalized child abuse less cruel?

Surely, you mean "unhealthful".

And she was.

#12 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,349 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:31 PM

Surely, you mean "unhealthful".

whatever you say, stone.

~Jack Handey

#13 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,953 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:44 PM

Wolfgang Puck seems to have banished foie gras from all his establishments with the exception of the new upscale Chinese, WP24, where he serves among other things steamed buns stuffed with bits of seared foie gras.

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#14 squibble

squibble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:45 PM

Stone, how are you on 'flammable' and 'inflammable'?

#15 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,953 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:52 PM

Stone, how are you on 'flammable' and 'inflammable'?

inquiring minds want to know

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia