14 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,472 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 04:33 PM

Bringing together nearly 200 works from public and private collections, the exhibition will occupy the Museum's entire sixth-floor gallery space, totaling approximately 17,000 square feet.

Representing nearly every type of work de Kooning made, in both technique and subject matter, this retrospective includes paintings, sculptures, drawings, and prints. Among these are the artist's most famous, landmark paintings—among them Pink Angels (1945), Excavation (1950), and the celebrated third Woman series (1950–53)—plus in-depth presentations of all his most important series, ranging from his figurative paintings of the early 1940s to the breakthrough black-and-white compositions of 1948–49, and from the urban abstractions of the mid 1950s to the artist's return to figuration in the 1960s, and the large gestural abstractions of the following decade. Also included is de Kooning's famous yet largely unseen theatrical backdrop, the 17-foot-square Labyrinth (1946).

This is exciting.. Has anyone been? If it rains this weekend, i think i will be here with the other half of NY.
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#2 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70,306 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 06:32 PM

Will be going, probably at least twice. The question is how and when, as it will be wildly crowded.

#3 porkwah

porkwah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:32 PM

Will be going, probably at least twice. The question is how and when, as it will be wildly crowded.

why is how a question? when, i can understand.

man, i need a headache

#4 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 02:51 AM

I'm thinking it might mean taking off a day from work and going first thing in the morning. Stay away from weekends, around the marathon, and other points where the city is tourist-heavy.
Future Legacy Participant.

#5 FoodDabbler

FoodDabbler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 03:50 AM

I've seen it twice so far. Once was on a preview day, and there were no crowds.
I was able to send several hours there. The second time was last Wednesday
afternoon. There were more people, but I wouldn't have called it crowded. If you've
been to the Uffizi, or the Louvre, or went to the big Picasso retrospective at MoMA
30 years ago, this, by comparison, is like being alone in the Sahara.

I haven't finished reading 2,000 years of theory, so I couldn't tell if what I saw was
art, but it was very good. It's fascinating to see an entire lifetime of work laid before
you, and to watch a hand and an eye evolve from teenagehood to dementia.

#6 FoodDabbler

FoodDabbler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 05:15 PM

A further comment on the crowds: I was surprised, myself, that the exhibit was not more
crowded last Wednesday afternoon. It was less crowded, in fact, than the rest of MoMA
that day. (I know that may not seem like much -- MoMA has been unbearably packed
for several years now -- but it was a relatively quiet day at the museum.) I think there
are two factors at play. You don't need special tickets, so people can amble in and out
as they please. I think that buying a ticket and spending extra money forces on you a
certain grim obligation to spend a minimum amount of time at an exhibition. You may not
enjoy it, but dammit, you're going to get your money's worth. The second factor is that
de Kooning is less well known to the general public than Picasso or Matisse, or possibly
even Jackson Pollock. My impression from the reactions of people there, as well as
from comments I overheard in the cafeteria, was that they seemed to be asking
"de Who-ning?"

#7 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70,306 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:10 PM

I see it's not being ticketed, like the Tim Burton show. It would be interesting if the crowds rejected it, as they did the recent show of Richard Serra drawings. That was by far the most impressive exhibition I've seen this year, and it was "full of" people taking one look and walking out again. :lol:

#8 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,472 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:14 PM

Commenting on what FoodDabbler said, I think I might have to take a hookie day with Miss K and go on a Wednesday Afternoon.

#9 FoodDabbler

FoodDabbler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:48 PM

That would be a great place to take your Miss K to, judging by your thread
on her precocious work. As I mentioned, one of the fascinations of the exhibition
for me was to watch de Kooning's work adapt, evolve, and transform over the
decades, starting from a young age when his mind was starting to form to his
old age when his mind was starting to go.

#10 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:03 PM

Commenting on what FoodDabbler said, I think I might have to take a hookie day with Miss K and go on a Wednesday Afternoon.

One detects a dental affinity.

Miss K:
Posted Image

De Kooning:
Posted Image
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#11 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,456 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:26 PM

Miss K will reject de Kooning as too tame.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#12 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,472 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:27 PM

Ha... That's awesome.

#13 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,428 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 01:04 PM

I really enjoyed this show and will definitely see it again. It was pretty packed on a Wednesday afternoon. Closes 1/9.

#14 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,472 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:28 PM

I went this Sunday and am happy to report, it was not the bad. Often times, we were the only people standing in front of a painting.. Even Starry Night did not have a crowd around.. A really nice collection of De Kooning works. Miss K liked the art where he drew with charcoal over the paint but, she is less into the Abstract..

The thing that made the biggest impression on her was the couple pieces of Dali they had. And well, the impressionists.

Glad we went...

#15 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70,306 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:54 PM

I went one afternoon last week, and it was pretty quiet. It's so big, I need to go again. I wrote it up, along with David Smith at the Whitney, at the Pig. If you don't feel like clicking, it's big and good.