6 replies to this topic

#1 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:09 PM

Since 1995 I have been on the Palm platform. First with the Palm Pilots and then moving to the smartphone Treo and now the Pre. At work, I have the Palm Desktop software loaded onto my desktop. It has a calendar, address book, to-do list, Memo's and Media similar to Outlook but is much prettier and less clunky. I sync that to my Pre so I have everything in both places and only have to input them once.

It's become clear to me that the Palm (now HP WebOS) platform isn't going to last. It's the last platform that apps are written for and many are never written for WebOS so I'm planning to switch platforms. Last year I got an iPad, which I love so I decided to switch to the iPhone when my current plan ends - which is this week.

Does anyone know if there is anything similar to the Palm Desktop that I can run on my Windows 7 desktop at work and then sync to the iPhone and iPad? I could switch to Outlook if needed but I'm hoping there is something else available.
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#2 GordonCooks

GordonCooks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:39 PM

Since 1995 I have been on the Palm platform. First with the Palm Pilots and then moving to the smartphone Treo and now the Pre. At work, I have the Palm Desktop software loaded onto my desktop. It has a calendar, address book, to-do list, Memo's and Media similar to Outlook but is much prettier and less clunky. I sync that to my Pre so I have everything in both places and only have to input them once.

It's become clear to me that the Palm (now HP WebOS) platform isn't going to last. It's the last platform that apps are written for and many are never written for WebOS so I'm planning to switch platforms. Last year I got an iPad, which I love so I decided to switch to the iPhone when my current plan ends - which is this week.

Does anyone know if there is anything similar to the Palm Desktop that I can run on my Windows 7 desktop at work and then sync to the iPhone and iPad? I could switch to Outlook if needed but I'm hoping there is something else available.

Exporting your Palm Database into Gmail, Outlook, or yahoo is a simple process and ITunes capable for syncing.
Jazz is musical improvisation; it is the art of the moment. In the recording of jazz, the inspiration and inventiveness of this moment is made permanent by technology, giving pleasure many years after the performance.

Photography is jazz for the eye. - William Claxton

#3 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:14 PM

Exporting your Palm Database into Gmail, Outlook, or yahoo is a simple process and ITunes capable for syncing.

Would I then continue to use the Palm Desktop software and export the data each time I want to sync? I guess I don't understand. What will that data sync to on my iPhone and iPad?

eta - in case it's not obvious, I'm not super computer savvy...

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#4 GordonCooks

GordonCooks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:39 PM

If you're looking to sync just contacts - any email based address book would work fine.
But,..

If you're using it also for notes, calendar, etc, on a PC platform - I think MS Outlook is your best bet - esp for it's ITunes compatability for your IPhone, IPad, etc. At least, that's my experience so far.
Jazz is musical improvisation; it is the art of the moment. In the recording of jazz, the inspiration and inventiveness of this moment is made permanent by technology, giving pleasure many years after the performance.

Photography is jazz for the eye. - William Claxton

#5 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:18 PM

If you're looking to sync just contacts - any email based address book would work fine.
But,..

If you're using it also for notes, calendar, etc, on a PC platform - I think MS Outlook is your best bet - esp for it's ITunes compatability for your IPhone, IPad, etc. At least, that's my experience so far.

I am looking for notes, to-do's, calendar, etc. so I guess Outlook it is. I was really hoping for another option - sigh.

#6 cstuart

cstuart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,474 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:49 PM

But,..

I am looking for notes, to-do's, calendar, etc. so I guess Outlook it is. I was really hoping for another option - sigh.

It really depends on what applications you use for notes, to-do's, calendar, etc.

If you were on a mac you could get all of that synced automatically and ota (over the air, ie. wirelessly) but being on windows it matters more which applications you use on your home computer.

For instance, for to-do's you could use Remember the Milk which would automatically sync across all three. For calendar, you could use google's and it'll sync fine (google would also work for contacts and mail). Here's google's mobile sync page: http://www.google.com/mobile/sync/

Know that you can't auto sync with just a outlook client -- usually you need an exchange server which all three connect to for contacts/cal/mail.

eta: I would definitely look into ota syncing as I can't imagine having to plug anything in to sync mail, notes, etc. I guess I can imagine it, but it sounds like a major pain in the ass.

#7 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:28 PM

But,..

It really depends on what applications you use for notes, to-do's, calendar, etc.

If you were on a mac you could get all of that synced automatically and ota (over the air, ie. wirelessly) but being on windows it matters more which applications you use on your home computer.

For instance, for to-do's you could use Remember the Milk which would automatically sync across all three. For calendar, you could use google's and it'll sync fine (google would also work for contacts and mail). Here's google's mobile sync page: http://www.google.com/mobile/sync/

Know that you can't auto sync with just a outlook client -- usually you need an exchange server which all three connect to for contacts/cal/mail.

eta: I would definitely look into ota syncing as I can't imagine having to plug anything in to sync mail, notes, etc. I guess I can imagine it, but it sounds like a major pain in the ass.

Currently the only application I use is the Palm Desktop. Which made me think - is there a Palm Desktop app for the iPhone?
It appears there is - sort of.