110 replies to this topic

#31 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:00 AM

Anyone been to or heard reports about l'arroceria FOGON?

C'est une histoire de l'Espagne, du riz Bomba et des jambes. (de cochon)

I was told to do le menu, mais demander le riz aux langoustines. ("C'est top, mais c'est copieux, Chambo, C'est tres copieux. Il faut avoir faim").

Chambo is still somewhat skeptical.

I was also told the wines were a bit weak, or at least not to this wine freak's preference ("les vins trop corsés"). He has been there a number of times.

I quickly peeked my head in there over the weekend while strolling by. The long, thin space on quai des Grands Augustins seems pretty nice.

Le restaurant parle d'une "riz-volution espagnole" a Paris !

Them's big words. Them's fighting words. Aux armes, oui ! Mais, aux forchettes ??

Should chevalier Chambo put on his armor and engage in battle? Should he raise his mouthfuls standard, race into action and take one for the team ? Or should he maintain his standards and stand pat until further intelligence guarantees that this is a fight worth fighting.

Speak now or forever hold your peace.

#32 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 04:33 PM

I've not been, but it certainly isn't on my wish list. As I remember, one person I trust recommends it if one insists on tapas and isn't worried about the tab. But, I ask, why would I choose this in Paris? Why not wait until a hop over the border is in order? So my sense is that you should stash the armor and battle-fork for now. IMHO...

#33 Ptipois

Ptipois

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:30 AM

I've not been, but it certainly isn't on my wish list. As I remember, one person I trust recommends it if one insists on tapas and isn't worried about the tab. But, I ask, why would I choose this in Paris? Why not wait until a hop over the border is in order? So my sense is that you should stash the armor and battle-fork for now. IMHO...

Because you won't find Alberto Herraiz's rice dishes over the border. He has pondered over paella for years and has truly developed a style of his own. El Fogon is not exactly a Spanish restaurant in Paris. It is a very Parisian restaurant.
This is not to entice you into going there. I hear some mixed reports: some like it, some don't. Last time I was there was one year ago and it was quite good. My son and his girlfriend went there recently for her birthday and loved it, with a special enthusiastic note on dessert.
Also, I rather like the wines.

Lieu jaune lobbyist

Chez Ptipois

#34 Nancy S.

Nancy S.

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:28 PM

I'm starting to think about my March holiday in Paris. I'm hoping to try some new (or, at least new to me) places. So, I've been curious about Le Galopin in the 10th. So, just out of curiosity, I'm wondering if anyone has eaten dinner there.

#35 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:20 AM

Has anyone anything to say about Chatomat?

#36 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:37 AM

By the way, after both lunch and dinner:

L'Auberge du 15 is very good. It's an unusual beast. This is totally classic, French cuisine often with recipes from 50 years ago. The chef does some pretty serious shit here at dinner. Silky soups too. Can you say "say grand marnier souffle six fois fast".

They can cook at Cobea. I had an entree de couteaux to kill for. And the lunch and dinner menu degustation is identical. And the chef is in da house for both services. White tablecloths, more serious service - they are aiming more for suits and those who work in the Tour Montparnasse and those denizens of the 14th than kool kats like us. But go, you'll like.

The effers at Fogon wouldn't appropriately seat Chambo on a Sunday night when I attempted to pop in unexpectedly. Their nice front room was full and I rejected their offer to sit in purgatory in the back. There were 3 two-tops empty. There said they were already reserved. I was skeptical. I called their bluff and said it's either the front room or the front door for Chambo. They booted me out of their place. No biggie. I went to Terra de Bellotta and ordered up a simple feast. Gosh, and I thought that I was doing Fogon a favor by frequently them on a Sunday. Who knew ?

I would Neva say neva but I haven't rushed back to Neva. It was good and an excellent addition to the neighborhood. Given the neighborhood it's slightly expensive for lunch and probably a good deal for dinner. I liked it. I didn't love it. But I don't quite think that the chef has to chops too keep it interesting and evolve it. That's my gut feel based on nothing more than slightly more than nothing. She may suffer from La Grande Cascade disease.

I fully accept that Septime rises above Akrame but I can assure you from my 5+ visits that Septime is far from amazing. Example - last time there, I was with 3 people. The menu has 3 starters. Fine, we had them all and I tasted them all. Menu had 2 mains to choose from - mackerel or colvert. No one wanted mackerel. Everyone had colvert. I wasn't missing much on that menu. It was solidly good to very good. That's a solid compliment from Chambo because he uses adjectives appropriately. Modest sized portion. I'm not complaining but I'm not raving either. Go to Septime, yes. I liked the vibe and the energy there and the food. You will too. But don't assume you're going to be amazed or you very well may be disappointed.

I've been to Galopin for lunch. I'll go back for dinner. Gotta choose the right folks to do it with. Rustic, cool, slightly hipster-ish staff (in a low-key and real way, not in a totally annoying wannabe way). They spent zero, I mean zero, on decor. It works because of who they are and all the windows and le quartier. It's what we French foodie professionals call cohérent - il s'accorde avec le quartier. Again, a great addition to the neighborhood. Nice guy, the chef. He's pretty down to earth given his Top Chef fame.

Okay - a quick quiz - and Frenchies are not allowed to take it - and googling not allowed:

Where does the name of restaurant Septime come from ?

Where does the name of restaurant Galopin come from ?

#37 Nancy S.

Nancy S.

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:07 PM

Thanks for the update. I've been curious about where you have been dining.

#38 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 05:16 PM

Where does the name of restaurant Galopin come from ?

Quoting from the blog The Paris Kitchen (Wendy-Lyn), "Le Galopin is an interesting name with an equally interesting history. As Mr. B tells it, “Most people know it as a 25 cl glass of beer that is thrown back quickly but back in the day…a galopin was the midnight rider you dispatched to rush a sealed letter in his coat pocket to your secret lover or, if a restaurant needed more bread or butter etc. all they had to do was step out onto the street and call over the nearest boy (galopin) to race off and get it, with the promise of extra money if he returned swiftly.”

#39 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:51 PM

Quoting from the blog The Paris Kitchen (Wendy-Lyn), "Le Galopin is an interesting name with an equally interesting history. As Mr. B tells it, “Most people know it as a 25 cl glass of beer that is thrown back quickly ...

Just noticed this ... F Y I

A Galopin is NOT a 25 cl glass of beer. That's a bock ou un demi.

A Galopin is a 12.5 cl glass of beer in France. (The Swiss are different as usual, but it ain't 25 cl there either.)

And this is not some minor technicality that Chambo is pointing out. This is essential beer (and life) knowledge.

Per (Galopin's chef) Romain, he and friends were knocking back some beers and trying to come up with a name for the resto. Someone floated Le Galopin and it stuck.

Still no guesses for Septime ... I'll tell ya then ...

I brought some friends to Septime a long while ago and during the meal someone asked where the name of the resto comes from. Good question, I thought. I had no idea, but I knew how to find out. I walked over to Bertrand at the pass and had a quick chat :

Bertrand : What's up, Chambo ?
Chambo : Septime, le nom du resto, ca vient d'où ?
Bertrand : Where do you think it comes from ?
Chambo : Aucune idee ... L'Empereur romain ? Pas Romain du Galopin mais l'empereur romain africain.
Bertrand : Who's that ?
Chambo : Septime Sévère. Empereur fin deuxieme, debut troisieme siecle.
Bertrand : (with a chuckle) That's a good guess, Chambo, but an incorrect one. Do you like French films ?
Chambo : (with an indifferent shrug) Pffffff ... ca va. Il y a un ou deux qui n'est pas mal.

And then Bertrand told me about Le Grand Restaurant and its maitre d'. Funny as all hell, that movie, as is de Funès as Septime. (If you understand that last sentence then you understand what I'm talking about. If not, then you got some homework to do ...)

And it's a funny joke that a place like Septime would be named after that Septime.

We don't dine like that anymore !

We don't dine like that Septime did, we dine like today's Septime does.

#40 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:59 PM

Being curious about more than Paris ... I'll expand this thread to all of France for a moment ...

If you were going to be in Arles, would eating at L'Atelier de Jean-Luc Rabanel be a good idea ? I know it has stars ... but would it be a good idea ?

And if you had a handful of spare meals, where else would you definitely want to hit within ... let's say ... a 50 miles radius ?

You can go a bit outside that circle if it's really worth it.

I've done some but far from all of the options in this neck of the woods. And I'm too time-constrained to research it.

Thoughts ?

#41 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,774 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:30 PM

Is/n't Paris Burning?

#42 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:39 PM

would eating at L'Atelier de Jean-Luc Rabanel be a good idea ?

Grégory de Frenchie supported L'Atelier with a strong and affirmative nod.

He vigorously recommended La Chassagnette which I had on a "possibly" list.

I will now be calling them tomorrow morning to reserve. (True true true ... I'm not proud ... I'll ask anyone for resto recommendations and I'll do triage.)

Other musts ?

J'écoute ...

#43 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:48 PM

By the way, about two months ago, Frenchie Wine Bar expanded.

They blast a hole through the right wall, added 20 seats and a decent sized kitchen.

Gregory was there cooking tonight. He was even taking Chambo's order. He's an extremely nice and unaffected semi-celeb chef.

Shockingly good vis-a-vis my expectations. I was thinking that I might be able to snag a pate de compagne, some charcuterie, some cheeses, etc.

I ate serious food. Chambo likes.

But those high tables and not high enough tabourets make for slightly uncomfortable and awkward eating. Chambo dislikes.

But I'll go back and eat the rest of the menu ... why not ? ... they serve til 11pm ... that's handy in Paris de temps en temps.

#44 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,671 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:28 PM

By the way, about two months ago, Frenchie Wine Bar expanded.

They blast a hole through the right wall, added 20 seats and a decent sized kitchen.

Gregory was there cooking tonight. He was even taking Chambo's order. He's an extremely nice and unaffected semi-celeb chef.

That's just walk-in, right?

Marta, My Dear

Follow My Blog:  Tasty Travails

#45 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,357 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:37 PM

My aunt and uncle just emailed me a photo of them at the Falafel restaurant.. So jealous, not of the falafel but, of them being in Paris.
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.