66 replies to this topic

#16 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,584 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 08:41 PM

i have not found my macbooks to be infallible (though i did go almost a year without ever shutting down the first one, and it never slowed down or crashed on me) but i would never switch back to using a windows machine as my primary computer. i lived in that world for 11 years before coming back to macs and things are just much easier here. of course, i didn't pay for my macbooks, or replace the first one when it had hardware issues (it was a refurb)--the college did.

my annoying opinions: untimely whisky reviews and occasional cultural commentary

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#17 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 40,084 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 08:48 PM

I WANT MY LIFE BACK.

Sneak, when was the last time you did some maintenance?

MS tips

I do all that stuff several times a week (because I get frustrated at how slow my computer's become).

And if my computer has a virus, it's undectible by the anti-malware functions.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#18 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,627 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 09:03 PM

I had an extra old laptop and we needed another at work so I downloaded ubuntu linux. It was an old laptop and I figured, what the hell? It's mostly for the retail clerks and special projects. It comes with firefox and office software. It's not bad! And it's free. I don't think it's the resource hog that windows is. WHy is it not a serious contender? Lack of software? Is there a photoshop equivalent? Accounting? Can you network?

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#19 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,174 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 11:30 PM

I WANT MY LIFE BACK.

Sneak, when was the last time you did some maintenance?

MS tips

I do all that stuff several times a week (because I get frustrated at how slow my computer's become).

And if my computer has a virus, it's undectible by the anti-malware functions.

OK, I will admit that the other time my computer slowed to a snail's pace (even just shutting it down took about 5 minutes) was just before it died. And it forever died. For whatever reason, I couldn't even get the memory out to make into one of those external memory drives (or whatever you do with those things--a friend tried to do it for me), so whatever was in the computer died with it. Fortunately, I had the foresight to save a bunch of stuff to an external source, so at least I saved several years of photos before the dumb computer died (that computer is the reason I will never ever purchase another Dell and I try to dissuade everyone I know from doing so, as well).

#20 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 40,084 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 04:43 AM

Oh no. My computer is about to DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Bar Loser

MF Old

#21 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,965 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 04:45 AM

All hard drives eventually die. That is why it is important to back up periodically.

#22 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:28 PM

I think Time Machine is a big reason to love Mac. I'm not talking about the hardware – the wireless Time Capsule sounds like an unreliable PITA. But the software is a thing of beauty for backing up. I use a big LaCie external hard drive plugged into the FireWire port and have it set to back up every hour. If I pooch a file, I can generally dive right into the Time Machine and retrieve the last-saved version.

Also, and this is huge, it allows quick and painless set-up of a new machine with all your old settings and add-ons. Buying a new machine, for me, used to mean spending two or three full days reinstalling software and fonts, setting up accounts, re-setting Preferences for all my applications, setting up peripherals and verifying connections, then tweaking the whole mess once I got back to work. Now, I can set up a new machine by plugging in the old machine, clicking a few settings, and walking away while it loads (which takes about 2 hours). Same deal if the machine should crash, which I've only faced after spilling coffee all over my laptop. I delivered it to the repair shop, picked up a rental machine and loaded it with all my stuff and was back to work in half a day.

That's a BFD, if you ask me.

#23 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 01:55 PM

i have not found my macbooks to be infallible (though i did go almost a year without ever shutting down the first one, and it never slowed down or crashed on me) but i would never switch back to using a windows machine as my primary computer. i lived in that world for 11 years before coming back to macs and things are just much easier here. of course, i didn't pay for my macbooks, or replace the first one when it had hardware issues (it was a refurb)--the college did.

I've switched from Windows to Mac (unwillingly due to a job change) and then even more unwillingly back to Windows (again at the instigation of my employers). As soon as I had raised sufficient funds, I got myself another Mac. Along with the ease of use issues (which are real), it's just nicer. Since I spend most of my working life either writing or programming that alone is enough of a reason for preferring it.

I think Time Machine is a big reason to love Mac. I'm not talking about the hardware – the wireless Time Capsule sounds like an unreliable PITA. But the software is a thing of beauty for backing up. I use a big LaCie external hard drive plugged into the FireWire port and have it set to back up every hour. If I pooch a file, I can generally dive right into the Time Machine and retrieve the last-saved version.

Also, and this is huge, it allows quick and painless set-up of a new machine with all your old settings and add-ons. Buying a new machine, for me, used to mean spending two or three full days reinstalling software and fonts, setting up accounts, re-setting Preferences for all my applications, setting up peripherals and verifying connections, then tweaking the whole mess once I got back to work. Now, I can set up a new machine by plugging in the old machine, clicking a few settings, and walking away while it loads (which takes about 2 hours). Same deal if the machine should crash, which I've only faced after spilling coffee all over my laptop. I delivered it to the repair shop, picked up a rental machine and loaded it with all my stuff and was back to work in half a day.

That's a BFD, if you ask me.

Absolutely. Having spent years struggling with Retrospect on both Windows and Mac machines, Time Machine is indeed a joy. But I also like Time Capsules (I have two), which never give me any trouble.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#24 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:53 PM

it's useful to remember that apple hasn't been apple computer for some years now. computers are now a relatively small part of the apple story. the stock price isn't because of the computers; it's because of the ipod-->iphone and ipad.

What the hell are you talking about ? Computers make up over 80% of their revenues, if not more. And they are the fasting growing part of their business. Dude, stick to literature.

#25 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:50 PM

Only during Lent.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#26 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,584 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:48 AM

it's useful to remember that apple hasn't been apple computer for some years now. computers are now a relatively small part of the apple story. the stock price isn't because of the computers; it's because of the ipod-->iphone and ipad.

well, my mistake may have been to believe apple's own sales/revenue numbers:

CUPERTINO, California—April 20, 2011—Apple® today announced financial results for its fiscal 2011 second quarter ended March 26, 2011. The Company posted record second quarter revenue of $24.67 billion and record second quarter net profit of $5.99 billion, or $6.40 per diluted share. These results compare to revenue of $13.50 billion and net quarterly profit of $3.07 billion, or $3.33 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. Gross margin was 41.4 percent compared to 41.7 percent in the year-ago quarter. International sales accounted for 59 percent of the quarter’s revenue.

Apple sold 3.76 million Macs during the quarter, a 28 percent unit increase over the year-ago quarter. The Company sold 18.65 million iPhones in the quarter, representing 113 percent unit growth over the year-ago quarter. Apple sold 9.02 million iPods during the quarter, representing a 17 percent unit decline from the year-ago quarter. The Company also sold 4.69 million iPads during the quarter.

i realize my field is literature, not mathematics, but i think that's 3.76 million macs to about 32 million iphones, ipods and ipads.

my annoying opinions: untimely whisky reviews and occasional cultural commentary

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#27 balex

balex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:48 AM

Computers cost a lot more than ipods.

#28 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:06 AM

Correct, Mongo. And congratulations ! You can read.

Now let's think. Let's think beyond superficial product labels. Let's think differently.

What the heck do you think an iPad is if not a computer? What the heck do you think an iPhone is if not a computer?

Immediately upon the iPhone's 2007 debut, anybody and everybody with a brain was calling it what it actually was.

Unfortunately, you too fell victim to the Jobsian reality distortion field. Don't feel bad, you're not the only one. You're in good company.

I was a fly on the wall at this meeting:

Guys, I have this insanely great idea: we need to change our name. The Apple part is good. It's culturally relevant. You know, an Apple a day ... the forbidden fruit from the Garden of Eden that everybody wants ... An organic source for vitamin C ... all good. The Computer part is no good. Computers aren't cool. Computers aren't sexy. Never have been, never will be. Computers are for geeks. Real people - normal people - the masses don't really want computers in their lives. Nor keyboards. Keyboards = Computers. We need to axe the "computer" in our name and the keyboards on our products. Wait, wait, wait, I know your objections in advance: "But Steve, all we do is sell computers and your name change is totally bogus and deceptive and ..." You're right, of course. But most people in the world are sheep. They believe what they read and they do what they are told. And most journalists and analysts are clueless. And, most importantly, I'm Steve Jobs ! I can convince the world that up is down, that out is in and that black is white. How hard do you think it will be for me, the King of Cupertino, to convince the clueless baaing bozos of the world that we are no longer a computer company? I simply decree it and the non-thinking lemmings bow down and believe it. Trust me, it's that simple. Meeting adjourned.

At heart, Apple is today and has always been a computer company. A very creative and very innovative computer company that develops great software.

Let me explain their future business plan: Shrink the computer, crank up its graphics, morph its form factor and put them into any and everything that humans buy or will buy in the 100s of millions. Oh yeah, if these things are media-related, even better. Hence, kill the keyboard, dump the (hard) drive, voice enable ...

And Balex, do some arithmetic. Anticipating iPod complaints, I kept my figure conservative at "greater than 80%". But let's make one thing clear. The iPod Touch is nothing but a computer.

#29 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,584 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 01:32 PM

congratulations, chambolle, you can't read! if you could, you would have seen that i was distinguishing between computers and iphones/ipads/ipods from the beginning. oh wait, maybe you did see that, but you were completely wrong, and now you're clutching at straws. dude, stick to writing very long posts; that way i won't be tempted to read them.

balex: multiply 3.5 by the median cost of macs, and now multiply 32 by the median cost of ipads/iphones/ipods. unless you think the median cost of macs approaches 10x the others (it doesn't come close) it doesn't add up.

~homer simpson

#30 cstuart

cstuart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,105 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:10 PM

No math necessary, apple releases the numbers:

Q1 2011 Revenue by Product

Desktops: $1.73 billion, up 2 percent from $1.69 billion a year earlier.
Portables: $3.7 billion, up 34 percent from $2.76 billion a year earlier.
iPod: $3.43 billion, up 1 percent from $3.39 billion a year earlier.
Music: $1.43 billion, up 23 percent from $1.16 billion a year earlier.
iPhone: $10.47 billion, up 88 percent from $5.58 billion a year earlier.
iPad: $4.6 billion; no comparable -- new product.
Peripherals: $593 million, up 26 percent from $469 million a year earlier.
Software & Services: $786 million, up 25 percent from $631 million a year earlier.

http://betanews.com/...reet-consensus/