50 replies to this topic

#31 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,565 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:00 PM

As far as I can tell, I'm living in a weird country where the predominant cellphone system won't work with most other continents'.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#32 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,351 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:05 PM

I've never had a problem with an AT&T locked iPhone 4.

On the other hand I've heard more than a rumor about a phone to be developed by Apple specifically for an unnamed carrier that'll offer great data speeds at a good price while in the US, and the same roaming outside the country.
I never said that

#33 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:11 PM

As far as I can tell, I'm living in a weird country where the predominant cellphone system won't work with most other continents'.

We have the iPhone4. We chose AT&T as our carrier because it will allow our phones to work worldwide.

ETA: I didn't see Orik's post before I posted this.

#34 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,565 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:18 PM

I've had AT&T wireless service, and it was so unacceptable in New York that I gave it up, irrespective of its worldwide compatability.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#35 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:49 PM

I've had AT&T wireless service, and it was so unacceptable in New York that I gave it up, irrespective of its worldwide compatability.

For years, we had AT&T internet service. It stunk! When they discontintued internet service in NJ, we switched to Optimum, and it's been really good. We also have Ooptimum for our land line phone and t.v. The phone service is fine, but don't get me started on the t.v. Optimum = Cablevision, and it sucks! We have TimeWarner in our apartment, and it's way better.

ETA: We have had no trouble at all with AT&T for our iPhones.

#36 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,565 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:53 PM

I have Cablevision Cable TV, internet, and landline phone service (as you say, the latter is fine), and it's only intertia -- coupled with the fact that I never watch TV anyway -- that keeps from switching to Verizon, which has recently been introduced into my building as well.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#37 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:15 PM

I have Cablevision Cable TV, internet, and landline phone service (as you say, the latter is fine), and it's only intertia -- coupled with the fact that I never watch TV anyway -- that keeps from switching to Verizon, which has recently been introduced into my building as well.

The next time we get together, I'll give you my rant about Cablevision. Unfortunately, we're stuck with it because it's the only cable t.v. provider in our area of NJ. We've heard a rumor that the Dolans might sell Cablevision to TimeWarner. If only it weren't a rumor....

#38 Jesikka

Jesikka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:02 AM

And it's annoying for all of them.

Agree. It's not that I didn't know- I discovered it when I went to look up their address- I simply was trying to go there last night and couldn't. I guess it is a fact that people dine out less on Sunday, so it makes sense as the day to be closed, but it is one of the days I most want to dine out (closely followed by all other days).

#39 davythefatboy

davythefatboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:05 AM

This is way off-topic -- and nobody will care -- but based on the current rumors, I'm holding out for the iPhone 5. Did you hear? It's supposedly going to be a genuine worldphone, with no sim card but rather three different antennae capable of using any available system. (Of course, I guess Apple has historically had some problems with antennae.)

Actually at this moment lack of a SIM card would hugely limit it's use in many countries.

#40 Jesikka

Jesikka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:06 AM

Also, I almost exclusively look for this information on my phone and virtually no restaurants make hours and location readily available in a mobile format. In fact, like 80% of NYC restaurant still use flash on their websites. Restaurant websites are an utterly useless place to look for information about a restaurant. Yelp is very good, as long as you don't read the reviews and/or think about them.

#41 davythefatboy

davythefatboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:07 AM

Fwiw, this place is (annoyingly) closed on Sunday. Dinner at Wallse instead.

And I miss honest chef/family run restaurants that closed one or two days a week so they could have a decent life.

#42 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,565 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:17 AM

Sure. But since we don't have any of those anymore . . . .
Bar Loser

MF Old

#43 Jesikka

Jesikka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:06 AM

REALLY slow day in the food world when THAT gets covered...

#44 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,623 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:12 AM

anything that gets murmured around here seems to get coverage these days :lol:
“Eat me,’’ it says. “Eat me and die.’’ -- Jonathan Gold

Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it's not the end.

#45 uhockey

uhockey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:23 PM

anything that gets murmured around here seems to get coverage these days :lol:

"Annoyingly" so. :)