19 replies to this topic

#16 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,844 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:08 PM

Sorry to keep you all hanging. My birthday cake was a gooey butter cake from Gooey Louie's. It was pretty good, in a kind of white trash sense. We tried the original, but GL had about 15 different varieties. I don't think they were organic, sustainable, or artisan, however,

And she was.

#17 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,087 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:12 AM

Speaking of St. Louis, where's Ghostie?

Where is Ghostie?? Haven't heard from him in months--very unusual, it is!

Now I'm a little worried. . . .

I sent him a PM a few weeks ago; he hasn't checked in since September 4. I'm very worried. Does anyone else know how to get hold of him? Bloviatrix, maybe? Rail Paul?

Ghostie is OK. He posted on another thread within the past few days. He's had a lot of things going on.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#18 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,087 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:16 AM

NY Times offers a survey of small brew pubs, growing in the shadow of the colossus now known as In-Bev/Anheuser Busch.

The money quote is "This is a beer town"

Last month Mr. Mosley and Jake Hafner, the brewery owner, opened The Civil Life (3714 Holt Avenue; no phone; www.thecivillifebrewingcompany.com) in south St. Louis. Inside the brew house they built a two-level pub with nooks meant to facilitate conversation among neighbors. The Civil Life specializes in “session beers” of lower strength, meant for drinking in quantity without derailing said conversation. Offerings include a British-style bitter and a rye pale ale ($5 each).

Further south, in the South Carondelet neighborhood, a former Coca-Coca plant is now home to Perennial Artisan Ales (8125 Michigan Avenue; 314-631-7300; perennialbeer.com). It opened in September and has a tasting pub where visitors can sample the recipes of its brewer, Phil Wymore, including the dry-hopped Hommel Bier pale ale ($5), inspired by Belgian farmhouse ales.

A short walk from Busch Stadium, 4 Hands (1220 South Eighth Street; 4handsbrewery.com) is scheduled to open on Nov. 11, with a rye India pale ale and an oatmeal brown among the offerings. The tasting bar is made from the wood of a 107-year-old rural Missouri barn.

But the local craft quake’s center has been Midtown Alley, just west of downtown, with three breweries within walking distance of one another.

Buffalo (3100 Olive Street; 314-534-2337; buffalobrewingstl.com) is the geezer of the trio, opened way back in 2008. The brewpub’s citrus-hopped Rye IPA ($4.50) is a favorite among local beer geeks. Those tired of waiting in line for barbecue from wildly popular Pappy’s next door can opt instead for the Buffalo’s burgers and mussels.

Six Row (3690 Forest Park Avenue; 314-531-5600; sixrowbrewco.com) opened at the end of 2009. The brewery recently completed an expansion that nearly quadrupled its capacity. Besides standbys that include the Honey Weizen ($4.50), brewed with Missouri honey, are occasional cult favorites like the Bacon Porter, in which a slab of cooked bacon soaks in the cask.

The latest Midtown addition, Urban Chestnut (3229 Washington Avenue; 314-222-0143; urbanchestnut.com), opened in January. Florian Kuplent, a former A-B brewer, specializes in a mix of traditional European styles and more experimental attempts. Fifteen different beers flowed on a recent visit, including the crisply hopped Zwickel lager and the chestnuts-laced Winged Nut ale (each $5).

In front of the pub is a small garden with long, sturdy tables; Mr. Kuplent had them shipped from his native Germany. “It is a beer town and I think there’s a history there of people that enjoy themselves sitting in beer gardens,” he said. “And I think that gene, or whatever it is, didn’t go away.”

Smaller is growing

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#19 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,087 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:05 PM

Jane & Michael Stern have a favorite mention of Rigazzi's in their Parade survey of US pizza. "Thin crust ...cheddar, Swiss, and provolone" offered in thin crust square servings.

Rigazzi's is open for lunch and dinner, except Sundays. 4945 Daggett, St. Louis MO 63110 on the Hill, in what's described as St Louis's most solid (?) neighborhood. One block south of US 44, one block west of Kingshighway.

The restaurant offers a bundle of daily specials. All you can eat baked calzones, pasta specials, etc for $10 to $14,

There's a nice selection of pizza items, ranging from $10 to $20, including Buffalo chicken Mediterranean, bianco, etc

Pizza menu

Righazzi

...Jonathan Waxman

#20 9lives

9lives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:25 PM

RP..Rigazzi's is a nice trip down memory lane. They were a favorite of mine when I attended Wash U in the 70's. That was upscale in those days..:)and St Louis pizza is an acquired taste; which I finally acquired. Start with a plate of toasted ravioli and we were living large.

Jane & Michael Stern have a favorite mention of Rigazzi's in their Parade survey of US pizza. "Thin crust ...cheddar, Swiss, and provolone" offered in thin crust square servings.

Rigazzi's is open for lunch and dinner, except Sundays. 4945 Daggett, St. Louis MO 63110 on the Hill, in what's described as St Louis's most solid (?) neighborhood. One block south of US 44, one block west of Kingshighway.

The restaurant offers a bundle of daily specials. All you can eat baked calzones, pasta specials, etc for $10 to $14,

There's a nice selection of pizza items, ranging from $10 to $20, including Buffalo chicken Mediterranean, bianco, etc

Pizza menu

Righazzi