2 replies to this topic

#1 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:09 PM

So world travelers, I'm going to give you some criteria, you're going to give me some recommendations. Regretfully, this is not for me. the criteria:

1. On a tightish budget, two dinners, one in Antwerp one in Brussels
2. for a young lady dining alone.

AND

3. Maybe some chocolate shops, bakeries, and french fry joints for her to check out because she loves that stuff.

Go.

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#2 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,118 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:43 PM

So world travelers, I'm going to give you some criteria, you're going to give me some recommendations. Regretfully, this is not for me. the criteria:

1. On a tightish budget, two dinners, one in Antwerp one in Brussels
2. for a young lady dining alone.

We had two wonderful and reasonably inexpensive dinners at a small restaurant called Restaurant bij den Boer .. Baksteenkai 60 Quai aux Briques (02-512.61.22). It is opposite the Place Sainte Catherine metro station.

Brussels

AND

3. Maybe some chocolate shops, bakeries, and french fry joints for her to check out because she loves that stuff.

There's a village square behind Notre Dame des Sablons church which has all the chocolate makers one may imagine.

Here's a detailed report on the chocolate scene in 2009.

Delightful

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#3 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:35 PM

First, thank you Rail. Your advice will form the basis of her food itinerary in Brussels.

So, a brief observation for all of you. Now, any claims about the quality of this meal are hearsay and therefore not admissible in the case for or against the restaurant. But, the girlfriend did a solo meal at Le Zoute Zoen. For 33 euro ($46 Ca), she got a glass of wine, water, some cheese and charcuterie, and the following, most expensive dish on the menu:

Fillet of deer with Belgian endive and cranberries
in a sauce of gingerbread & zeste of oranges

The deer was wild, nearly impossible to find here of course, and it came with a squash puree and a side of fried potatoes. Meanwhile, I paid roughly the same amount for my meal at 416 Snack Bar (oysters, charcuterie, beef patty, ruben, taco, all tapas sized, a couple beers). Think about that for a bit.

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.