103 replies to this topic

#91 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,910 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 11:23 PM

I am so loving everything about this thread. Thank you, Daniel!

the people who flock to dine at the restaurant on account of its reputation/stars are getting their money's worth because what they are after is a piece of the reputation/stars and nothing else. their money is not wasted. -- mongo jones, 11/5/2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#92 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,357 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 01:52 AM

Thanks for following.. Yeh, Xian and Yangzhou are my favorite meals so far.. Canton is a little too heavy and similar to what we eat at home.. Here are my two buddies i went to Macau Street with... I am flying solo tonight so, if anyone has any suggestions as to where to go.. I noticed a few blocks from my hotel there seems to be some life... And there is this seafood restaurant with life fish in tanks that is down the street from me but, any suggestions would be appreciated..

So, though this isnt facebook, here is a shot of them.

Posted Image
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#93 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,357 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:59 AM

Having fun in China... This was certainly a friendly board meeting last night!

No shots of the food because i thought it was going to be a serious affair.. These were two of the items that a buyer had purchased a lot of.. Me and my friend were the first to arrive and they had this waiting at my seat. Certainly a good way to loosen me up, sort of speak.

Posted Image

#94 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,167 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 01:02 PM

"Daniel, I don't think you come to China for the business."
Bar Loser

MF Old

#95 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,357 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:47 PM

In all honesty, i just make the best of any situation I am in.(minus whole tubes of butt cream). Butt, seriously,, if you see me unhappy, things are pretty dire. i really avoid coming to China as much as possible.. It has been three years since my last trip here and it is not by mistake nor lack of opportunity..

Tonight, wandered around the back streets by my hotel.. I was happy I did not bring my camera.. It was kind of shady at parts, lots of "hair cutting places" lots of KTV joints, abject poverty.. It was shady, babies running around, open garages filled with people fixing things we would just toss in the garbage, people squatting in the dirt, yatta yatta, poverty, filth, grime.. I have a good sense of direction however, i can't follow a map, I know i walked for this amount of time in this direction, i made a couple of lefts, a few rights, the main road should be around here... I eventually hit the main road again and came upon this restaurant..

I walked in, by myself, i either look for fish tanks, or places with pictures.. This place had both, not to mention bunny cages, chicken coups, turtles, snakes, 4 types of shrimp, lobsters, live scallops, geo ducks, and tons of photos... I was in..

I walked in and was met by perhaps, 12 waitresses.. I tried to say hello, they talk amongst themselves and the one most confident with English from what i gathered was summoned to speak with me.. I receive a confident "hello, can i helps you" Yes, can i see a menu? Well, things went downhill from the initial greeting... She did not understand menu, nor the international sign for reading a book where you put your hands out and pretend to turn the pages in the air..

We walk around for a bit, they have live shrimp.. 54 rmb or 8 bucks for a kilo.. I give the slice in half sign.. She understands and gives me a half kilo.. I walk over to the scallops, give the three sign, she picks up three scallops out of the water, i go over to the snails, get a half of a half of a kilo of snails, i point at a picture of pea shoots with chunks of bacon, I point at two live crabs, i go to my go to Tsing Tao "ice cold" because who that's something you need to learn when you come to China.. because warm beer is their default... And we are good to go..

I sit down, out comes the pea shoots.. thick chunks bacon with baby celery, scallion, and pea shoots.. its amazing.. amazingly oily but cut by the pea shoots and celery.. The beer is ice cold.. Life is good..

Out comes the shrimp.. They are cooked with garlic, tarragon, tea leaves, and scallions,. this dish is amazing...

Then comes the scallops.. all on the half shell, sliced thin, sitting on top of clear thin noodles, with enough diced garlic to make any Italian cringe.. It is good, it is garlicky, I am happy to be traveling alone..

Crab comes out... With some black vinegar, simply steamed.. i dip in the vinegar.. i am in heaven...

Then comes the snails.. They are huge.. I am now speaking with an English teacher guy.. Well, he is Chinese, born in the same city as Mao, so we have the restaurant in common, and he is asking me for my email.. He wants to be my Chinese Guide.. He is confused why i am alone.. He use to do business in pakistan.. I give him my email..Meanwhile, the snails come out.. They give me the snails with these huge wooden sticks and a bowl of black sauce to dip.. Ahh vinegar i think, i can't wait.. I take a snail out mid convo and dip it in the sauce.. As i dip the snail, from the corner of my eye, i take notice of the viscosity of the sauce.. hmm, thicker than vinegar.. this is all happening and being processed while my hand keeps moving the snail into my mouth. Perhaps it's a sweet sauce i think.. Well, it was not.. it was hoison with the hottest damn nose burning, eye attacking mustard i have ever had.. it stole my breath.. i was gasping for air... it was crazy.. and i got a hint of fishy taste right before the sauce attacked my senses.. I felt like i was occupying wall street.. So yeh, now the entire restaurant has been standing around watching me and of course the manager has been coming by and is so proud they are now an international restaurant.. So, I recoil and try my best not to pass out.. Well, the whole place erupts with laughter.. It appears that the tip of a tooth pick is even too strong for me.. I go back to my meal and figure out how to hide the snails. i put a couple among the shrimp shells, i put one in the leftover pea shoots, some go in the crab shells, the rest, well, i just wrap up the tin foil..

Dinner came out to 25 bucks, i left a 10 dollar tip, I was chased down the street to have my tip returned and after many fights with them to take the money, I conceded.. I ended up giving it to a lady with small baby selling roasted chestnuts on the street..

2 more days to go!

#96 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,357 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:21 PM

breakfast this morning.. on my walk to the metro, I got one of those fried crullers wrapped in glutenous rice.. so good, it was roughly 78 cents. from the picture i jumped to point at, i thought it was roasted duck.. but the fried donut was good too!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Relaxing ride. I have spent about 270 dollars on my 4 days here including the taxi ride from the airport and hotel..

Posted Image

#97 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,962 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:28 PM

Posted Image

Can't you get arrested for taking photographs in public?

And she was.

#98 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,357 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:40 PM

I think it's peeing you are not allowed to do.. though, everyone here doesnt seem to mind.

#99 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,041 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:13 PM

I am sorry that this thread is coming to its conclusion.

#100 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,357 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:32 PM

Ahh you are sweet to say that. unless, it because you don't want me back in NYC! Posted Image

#101 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,357 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:42 AM

So yeeeehawwww.. Bags are packed, photos of the room have been taken (will upload when i get home) had a wonderful breakfast of roasted duck and pork with chicken soup and rice at another picture restaurant that had a large plastic goose attached to the front sign. Skipped lunch and opted for several of the coconut juices as the food as the Fair is close to inedible. Let's just say, the 15 girls screaming "Weclome to Pappa Johns Please, Welcome to Papa johns, Please, won't you please have some Pappa Johns Please, almost had me for a moment.. As I wouldn't mind taking a short bath in a bowl of queso fundido right now. However, I just couldnt make them think that for any reason at all, their screams had swayed me..

i have kicked back and open a beer, cracked open some Mexican Tomato Chicken Flavored chips,some numb spicy hot pot flavored chips, and some sweet and sour fish soup chips.. Hot pot and Fish soup are amazing.. Mexican Tomato chicken is gross. spent an hour in the bank trying to explain what a middle name is to the clerk who almost didnt give me the money i needed to get to the airport.. There were two names on my passport and well, that didnt sit right with him... Not to mention I had to redo the paper work as i wrote outside the lines once... I tried to tell him "baby, i live my live my life outside the lines" but that didnt crack a smile.. I have a 545 am and a 6 oclock wake up call. 630 airport pickup, and away we go.. Off to Shanghai, then back to good old US of A. Everyone and their mother will be leaving from Hong Kong and I am hoping for a less crowded but, certainly cheaper flight..

Tonight, going to walk around a bit, maybe grab some more seafood, not looking to extend the trip with food poisoning... So, fingers are crossed. Met a nice french guy on the subway this morning, may skype him later..

Hope everyone has a great day..Drink a nice tall glass of tap water for me..

The sounds of Daughtry's song is in my ear accept, i only know "I'M Coming Home" and then i mumble some words about the places in between, and the faces that i've seen and then I get confident again with a big "I'M Coming Home" and then back to, the something, something, and berm, ba berm,ba berm, berm, and it looks like i finally made it, and i got make it happen, and then low gutteral, "i'mmmmm comminnnnng, hommmme" As far as people know, i am Daughtry damn it.

Thanks..

Daniel

#102 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,962 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:51 PM

Hope everyone has a great day..Drink a nice tall glass of tap water for me..

Tap water? We don't drink tap water in America. Its got toxins.

And she was.

#103 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,357 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 05:29 AM

Right... I hear yah, let's just say, brita isn't a big seller in China.. A word of advice if you are traveling in and out of Shanghai.. There are two international airports.. It takes about 40 minutes with no traffic to travel between the 2 places.. and about 200 rmb... i'm just saying, it might be useful to somebody else, certainly not me..

looking around the gift shop, i started to laugh when i thought of people buying presents here.. Isn't everything made in china anyway? why the heck should you carry it.. go to walmart and pick out someone a gift.. it's from china..

#104 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,357 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:17 PM

Whoops, I never finished this.. I was just uploading the final photos.. Turns out I am heading back there in a less than a month. Going to be in Shanghai and Nanjing for a little bit.