MF Old

#17 Slapsie Maxie

Slapsie Maxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:37 PM

I have not been in The Old Red Cow in years, even though it is very close to my London apartment. Most of the pubs in Smithfield always a bit crappy, although I do like cramming into the JT for a pint of St. Peter's Porter.

I tended to drink in my local, The Artillery Arms (by Bunhill Fields cemetery)or walk up to The Old Fountain (North of Old St. and, of course, The Wenlock Arms.

I am taking my wife to the St. John mothership on our way back to LA from Eastern Europe in November. I'll have to give TORC a shot. Given my last poor experiences of St.J (I am going at her insistence) it may turn out to be the best part of the evening.

Slapsie

#18 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70,020 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:55 PM

The Artillery Arms, as I remember it anyway, is a great pub. And Bunhill Fields is an overlooked treasure. Blake and Bunyan buried there; and according to Wikipedia Defoe too, although I don't remember his tomb.

#19 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,177 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:24 PM

Fuck. I walked right by Bunhill Fields. I had no idea. Fuck.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#20 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70,020 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:34 PM

A well kept secret. Of course, there is nothing ornate about it. Which is entirely appropriate to its non-conformist residents.

#21 Slapsie Maxie

Slapsie Maxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 05:45 PM

A well kept secret. Of course, there is nothing ornate about it. Which is entirely appropriate to its non-conformist residents.

My building overlooks it. I rather like that I have that and also the Honourable Artillery Company next door, so there is over 5 acres of unbuilt land in central London.

Defoe is there, so too is one of the Wesley brothers (not sure which one)

The Artillery Arms is a Fuller's pub and although a tied house,consistently wins awards for having one of the best pints of London Pride in the city. It will undoubtedly be my first stop after I return home for a few days in early November.

Slapsie

#22 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,177 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:18 PM

Fuck. I walked right by SM's building. I had no idea. Fuck.
Bar Loser

MF Old