40 replies to this topic

#16 9lives

9lives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 02:29 PM

Here's a few pics of Bessinger's in Charleston..good Q.

Just North of Charleston is Sweatman's..whole hog; slow cooked overnight over a low fire..no pics but worth a trip..very limited hours..I think Thur-Sat.

http://flickr.com/ph...57602984567678/

#17 OTB

OTB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 04:52 PM

QUOTE(9lives @ Apr 5 2008, 10:29 AM) View Post

Just North of Charleston is Sweatman's..whole hog; slow cooked overnight over a low fire..no pics but worth a trip..very limited hours..I think Thur-Sat.

As good as Maurice Bessinger's Piggy Park is, I don't think I could bring myself to eat food sold by such an avowed racist asshole.
Jason Perlow
Food Blogger, OffTheBroiler.com
Sr. Technology Editor, ZDNet / CBS Interactive
My Flickr Stream: Click Here for Food Photos

#18 9lives

9lives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 01:18 AM

This was not Maurice Bessinger's Piggy Park.

My understanding is that this restaurant is owned by a family member that does not share Maurice's views.

QUOTE(OTB @ Apr 4 2008, 02:52 PM) View Post

As good as Maurice Bessinger's Piggy Park is, I don't think I could bring myself to eat food sold by such an avowed racist asshole.

#19 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,082 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 12:17 PM

QUOTE(9lives @ Apr 6 2008, 09:18 PM) View Post
This was not Maurice Bessinger's Piggy Park.

My understanding is that this restaurant is owned by a family member that does not share Maurice's views.

QUOTE(OTB @ Apr 4 2008, 02:52 PM) View Post

I believe the Bessinger's bbq is owned by Tom Bessinger, brother of Maurice, who runs the Piggy (Piggie) Park location. The history provided by Tom has Tom and Maurice as brothers. They are the sons of the guy who founded the whole business. I have no idea about Tom's political views.

History

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#20 9lives

9lives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 01:43 PM

http://www.charlesto...cle.html?id=378

Paul..corrrect (as usual,,smile.gif) There is also a Melvin's BBQ..owned by Melvin Bessinger..of the same family. I have no idea about Melvin's political views but fairly sure they don't mirror Maurices's. I think some of the family has denounced maurice's views in the past.

Whites and blacks were about evenly mixed..both customers and employees and all seemed to be enjoying serving and eating their meals.

As an aside I don't know..or generally care about the poitical views of most of the owners of restaurants I patronize..though Maurice Bessinger would probably be an exception because of his notoriety and publicity....

not sure but Maurice may have changed his positions over the years..possibly due to economic reasons

eta..Several supermarket chains and Walmart refused to carry Maurice's BBQ Sauce for a time..and several large employers asked their employees to boycot the restaurants. There were were lawsuits in SC courts re his flying the confederate flag. This was in the ary 2000s...haven't heard much from Maurice lately.

#21 OTB

OTB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:20 PM

Fresh from the flickr stream:

http://www.flickr.co...ags/edmitchell/

I hope to have these posted on OTB with video and podcast within a few days.

and NO, I did not eat all that stuff. I brought 3 people with me and a lot of it is sitting in my freezer in my condo to take home. smile.gif
Jason Perlow

#22 Chad Ward

Chad Ward

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE(OTB @ Apr 9 2008, 03:20 PM) View Post

and NO, I did not eat all that stuff. I brought 3 people with me and a lot of it is sitting in my freezer in my condo to take home. smile.gif

Nice, Jason. When were you in town? Dean McCord and I had lunch at The Pit soon after it opened. I was impressed. The barbecue was excellent, though I'm a little skeptical about the combination of upscale decor and down home barbecue. I'll be eager to read about your experience there.

Chad
Chad Ward
An Edge in the Kitchen
William Morrow Cookbooks
www.chadwrites.com

#23 OTB

OTB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 10:06 PM

QUOTE(Chad Ward @ Apr 9 2008, 03:44 PM) View Post
QUOTE(OTB @ Apr 9 2008, 03:20 PM) View Post

Nice, Jason. When were you in town? Dean McCord and I had lunch at The Pit soon after it opened. I was impressed. The barbecue was excellent, though I'm a little skeptical about the combination of upscale decor and down home barbecue. I'll be eager to read about your experience there.

Chad

I am in town now. Actually, for the next four months, week to week.
Jason Perlow

#24 OTB

OTB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 06:16 PM

Podcast #45: Whole Hog at The Pit with Ed Mitchell
Jason Perlow

#25 Chad Ward

Chad Ward

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:06 PM

QUOTE(OTB @ Apr 10 2008, 02:16 PM) View Post

Nice job, Jason. I gave it a quick listen and am eager to go back for the whole thing. Let me know if you'd like some company for lunch while you're in town.

Chad
Chad Ward
An Edge in the Kitchen
William Morrow Cookbooks
www.chadwrites.com

#26 OTB

OTB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:19 PM

QUOTE(Chad Ward @ Apr 10 2008, 04:06 PM) View Post
QUOTE(OTB @ Apr 10 2008, 02:16 PM) View Post

Nice job, Jason. I gave it a quick listen and am eager to go back for the whole thing. Let me know if you'd like some company for lunch while you're in town.

Chad

Lunch is usually difficult but I'm always up for dinner.

Jason Perlow

#27 rooftop1000

rooftop1000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:55 AM

Now I can give my husband a choice...take me to the Big Apple Barbecue (NYC) or take me back to Raleigh. I am truly afraid he would choose Raleigh, he actually likes spending 11 hours on a motorcycle blink.gif

tracey

#28 OTB

OTB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 11:54 AM

QUOTE(rooftop1000 @ Apr 10 2008, 09:55 PM) View Post
Now I can give my husband a choice...take me to the Big Apple Barbecue (NYC) or take me back to Raleigh. I am truly afraid he would choose Raleigh, he actually likes spending 11 hours on a motorcycle blink.gif

tracey

Well, at Raleigh you wont have to wait on line for 2 hours and will actually get to TALK to Ed Mitchell if you want to. He's really that available to people.

Jason Perlow

#29 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,082 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 01:09 AM

QUOTE(OTB @ Apr 11 2008, 07:54 AM) View Post
QUOTE(rooftop1000 @ Apr 10 2008, 09:55 PM) View Post

tracey

Well, at Raleigh you wont have to wait on line for 2 hours and will actually get to TALK to Ed Mitchell if you want to. He's really that available to people.

Nice job on your bbq summary for North Carolina, Jason. I've eaten at a few of the places you mention, and I'm pretty much in agreement.

Carolina q on OTB

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#30 OTB

OTB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 02:24 AM

Thanks Paul. Yeah, that post attracted quite a bit of attention, as well as a lot of hate mail from the Good 'Ol Boys.
Jason Perlow