40 replies to this topic

#31 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,472 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:03 PM

Off 1-77 north of Charlotte (or south of Charlotte, but north would be better). Go.

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#32 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,611 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:15 PM

Off 1-77 north of Charlotte (or south of Charlotte, but north would be better). Go.

The Lexington #1 bbq gathers a lot of well deserved praise. Having so many furniture makers nearby provides an endless supply of well aged hickory, apple, peach, oak, etc wood.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#33 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,472 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:47 PM

The Lexington #1 bbq gathers a lot of well deserved praise. Having so many furniture makers nearby provides an endless supply of well aged hickory, apple, peach, oak, etc wood.

Not bad, but may be a bit too much of a detour off 77. I don't think I ever thanked you (on behalf of the gf) for the Brussels rec - good, inexpensive regional food!

#34 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,472 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:06 PM

Any opinions on Carolina BBQ in Statesville?

#35 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,445 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:36 AM

Not bad, but may be a bit too much of a detour off 77. I don't think I ever thanked you (on behalf of the gf) for the Brussels rec - good, inexpensive regional food!

Lexington is an icon. She should make the detour. It's reall not very far. Plus im sure she's a big NASCAR fan.
Why not mayo?

#36 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,611 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:38 PM

you're most welcome. I'm pleased she enjoyed Belgium. It's such a wonderful place, with 300 brewers and an endless supply of artisan chocolate.

If they developed a culture of bbq, that would be the trifecta!

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#37 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,472 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:40 PM

Sorry guys, Lexington was too much of a detour. So Carolina #1 BBQ it was. And it was very good. Chopped pork is smoked for 12 hours over hickory and is, as the criticisms suggest, a bit dry. If you give it a good hit of the NC vinegar/pepper bbq sauces and you're great. Sides were surprisingly good, even excellent - lightly battered crisp fried okra, fried to order potato chips. Greens were blah. Atmosphere? Locals and an eighty year old woman eating the daily special: a sad, limp plate of spaghetti with tomato sauce.

#38 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,611 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:13 AM

I'll put in a good word for The White Swan, a minced pork bbq joint in Smithfield, NC. It's located on US 301, between exits 90 and 93 of I-95. Easy off and back on in either direction.

Wonderful, fragrant, deeply smoke flavored meat. Ridiculous, 1990s era prices. Under $9 for a generous serving of pork and a chicken thigh. Sides of okra and mac n cheese included. $1.89 for a pork sandwich with a scoop of slaw on top. The chicken was fried, lightly battered, and redolent of pepper. Wonderful. I spoke with one fellow customer who said he's stopped by at least weekly for about ten years. He didn't order, as far as I could tell. Came in, sat down, and they brought him food.

I spoke with "Head Hog" Parker. He said their online business has been through the roof. The product travels well, and very far.

There are several locations in the area, I believe this is the original.

Menu

...Jonathan Waxman

#39 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,611 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:13 AM

A report on Fuller's BBQ in Lumberton NC will be forthcoming. It was a superb experience, with pulled pork, burnt ends, freshly fried thighs, legs, breasts, cooked greens, sweet potatoes, biscuits, etc coming out every five minutes or so. Like some heavenly treadmill.

Speaking of which...

...Jonathan Waxman

#40 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,611 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:09 PM

Fuller's BBQ is an establishment in Lumberton NC. 3201 North Roberts Avenue, a few hundred yards north of I-95, exit 20. There's a second location north of here, in Fayetteville.

These folks have an amazing buffet layout for $9.50, probably the best I've ever seen at anything approaching the price. Fried chicken (legs, breasts, thighs, wings) is crispy, succulent, and decadent. Chicken with wide lasagna noodles and onions is heavenly. Wide selection of deep fried gizzards, hearts, etc. Shaved ham, hash, rice, mashed potatoes, wonderful sweet potatoes, gravy in cream form, thick brown form, etc. Chitlins (in a soupy broth), pork rinds, fabulous pulled pork. The fried shrimp was OK, the boiled shrimp wasn't impressive. Mac n' cheese was "eh". A good dark sausage, and an OK large link sausage. I cut off a few inches, no way I could eat that whole, foot long sucker.

They offer an unusually wide selection of vegetables: Cabbage Candied Yams Black-eyed Peas (wonderful!) Lima Beans (very good, and I don't usually eat lima beans) Cut Corn Sweet Peas Corn on the Cob Okra Green Butter Beans Rutabaga (didn't see this) String Beans & Potatoes Speckled Butter Beans (these were OK) Collards & Turnips (this was pretty good. I added some of their wonderful hot sauce). Also, three different kinds of biscuits (a large square biscuit, a round somewhat higher biscuit, and a jonny cake. For folks who still had an appetite, there was a large dessert service with brownies, cakes, several different pies, ice cream, etc.

I can't see how they stay in business at these prices, and the voluminous appetites of some of the customers. One fellow must have gone back for six plates of chicken, potatoes, string beans, etc. He was checking out the desserts when I left.

The place was packed at 8pm, but largely empty by 9. I believe they're open until 10pm. A lower priced luncheon buffet is available. No booze, and no BYO.

You pay in advance, as you enter. "We had some trouble, and making people pay up front has eliminated the problem." If you want to order from the a la carte menu, you are seated upstairs, and a gentleman of size is at the stairway leading to the main room, where the buffet and salad bar are located. Ironically, the reason I went was a suggestion from Kathy Purvis that they have one of the best burgers in the Carolinas. I tried to order that as a "side order" to the buffet, but they wouldn't let me do that. It was a nice looking burger, good size, with lots of trimmings, for a whopping $3.75. Maybe next time...
Fuller's

...Jonathan Waxman

#41 9lives

9lives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:16 AM

I've been to Fullerton's and it's great fun.

Duke's in Walterboro SC is very similar. They have another location a little S on 95.Buffet; the fried chix is better than the pulled pork; and many of the sides are great...especially desserts.

Prices are dirt cheap; I think $6-7 for my mother..few $ more for my wife and myself.

Not the best BBQ but worth a stop if you are driving I95 and hungry at that spot.

Friendy folk; they gave a polite Yankee a nice takeout pack of chix and mac n cheese to go, even though I ordered the buffet at lunch. Nice peopoe.