• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SeAAttle

SeAAttle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:14 PM

I will spend a few days on my own in Basel and then go to Geneva for a conference.

Will stay in the old town in Basel so any recommendations within a reasonable walking distance would be appreciated. Prefer local cuisine, but will certainly consider anything that comes highly recommended.

In Geneva, I am responsible for finding a restaurant for dinner with a couple of friends from Australia who enjoy fine dining in a pleasant setting. I know the cost will be high so we are probably not interested in the very top tier. Will be staying at the Starling Hotel and Resort, not in the main downtown area.

Thanks for any recommendations.

#2 foodie52

foodie52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:34 PM

It looks like the NY Times did a review of Basler restaurants today.

Local cuisine is schnitzel or fondue. And you'll be paying around 35 francs per person for a mid-priced restaurant entree. I'd walk around the old town and go into any bar that looks busy. If you want to get take out and eat in your room or eat on stools amidst shoppers , Migros always has good "to go" menus. Also, check out the cafe menus: the coffee houses always have plate lunches. If you want to save some money, eat your big meal at lunch time and snack at night.
[size="4"]Visit our website for updates...Friends of Colombian Orphans

Donations are always gratefully accepted.

#3 SeAAttle

SeAAttle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 05:05 PM

Thanks. Good timing on the NYT review. Will have a look.

Just to be clear - I am not looking to do dine on the cheap, which I know is next to impossible in Basel or Geneva. I just don't want to select randomly or depend on recommendations of the hotel concierge.

#4 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:55 PM

can anyone recommend a fine dining restaurant in geneva?  I see there are four one stars.