1 reply to this topic

#1 pierre

pierre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:33 AM

I have eaten Paella Valenciana for many years.I was curious to have the real thing ,so even before arriving to Valencia, I searched for the best .Restorante levante and Casa Roberto were the ones mentioned.I requested a solo reservation through email ,but there was no response.So ,when I arrived in Valencia recently, I called them ,still no success.The problem is that Paella is cooked for 2 people,which means a solo can not eat Paella in Valencia.So How can I leave Valencia without having savored one of the most famous dish in the world.I found the 3d best place close to the hotel and early in the evening I walked over and spoke with the head waiter.IN Spanish I explained my dilemma.He went to see the chef and came back and said that the chef will make an exception for someone who loves their national dish so much.

So later on around 9.30pm I went to the restaurant .They had a nice table set up outside for me.I started with fried calamaris,nice but nothing special.Then the paella came.It was moist and al dente and I think that made the whole difference.Of course it was delicious, but it was different from what we know as Paella.I drank a refreshing and biting rose wine.The whole cost was 40 euros.

#2 jmoranmoya

jmoranmoya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:20 PM

I have eaten Paella Valenciana for many years.I was curious to have the real thing ,so even before arriving to Valencia, I searched for the best .Restorante levante and Casa Roberto were the ones mentioned.I requested a solo reservation through email ,but there was no response.So ,when I arrived in Valencia recently, I called them ,still no success.The problem is that Paella is cooked for 2 people,which means a solo can not eat Paella in Valencia.So How can I leave Valencia without having savored one of the most famous dish in the world.I found the 3d best place close to the hotel and early in the evening I walked over and spoke with the head waiter.IN Spanish I explained my dilemma.He went to see the chef and came back and said that the chef will make an exception for someone who loves their national dish so much.

So later on around 9.30pm I went to the restaurant .They had a nice table set up outside for me.I started with fried calamaris,nice but nothing special.Then the paella came.It was moist and al dente and I think that made the whole difference.Of course it was delicious, but it was different from what we know as Paella.I drank a refreshing and biting rose wine.The whole cost was 40 euros.

The best Paella Valenciana I've tried is in Castellon, North of Valencia in a restaurant called:
You need a car to go there, it is by the sea in a small house like El Bulli used to be.

Their octopus is to die for too.