21 replies to this topic

#16 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:10 AM

Walking downstairs to the bathroom today (yes, I went back to hang with Zeus :rolleyes: for a decadent lunch of manic proportions) I spotted Roscioli's locked up line-up of bottles.

Oooh, a Musigny de de Vogüé, pas mal. A small fleet of Gaja hovering above that, bien sur. Haut Brion and Latour, present and accounted for.

Even on the restaurant level as you walk in on your right, you see a multi-row cavalcade of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir from guess where (think Chambo).

I bought some eye-talian wine from them today for take away. Their prices are emminently reasonable. Just a quick inexpensive example. I didn't buy this but COS Pithos is 22 or 24 euros on their wine list to drink in house. Fabulous (ahem) Franny's is going eff you for double that, I bet.

That lunch :

Bufala di mozzarella DOP di Paestum 500g e pomodorini pachino semisecchi (why 500g? because it's only 3 euros more than the 300g option. guess what's in my fridge right now?)

Culatello di Zibello DOP della bassa Parmense

Prosciutto di Manzo dell'Asturia 'Cecina de Leon'

Jamon Iberico de Belllota 'Cinco Jotas' Martin Raventos 36 mesi

and of course all that comes with their:

Cestino di pane del Forno Roscioli (from around the corner)

and a bottle of red, of course.

http://www.salumeria...rante/menu.aspx

I try to chat up the sphere of a guy who is sitting at the cash register. No such luck. He does only Italian. I don't. I am finally handed off to a slightly smaller planet named Pier-Luigi (I'm pretty darn sure that was his name). He is part owner. I believe his mother or grandmother had 11 or 12 kids. Pier-Luigi is my man (His opening line, pointing at the cash register sphere "He's my brother - as you can tell because we are both the same size - except he's bigger"). I tell him that I want to buy some wine. We are now tasting wines. Bottles are being opened for Chambo. I next tell them that I got a dinner party back in Paris this weekend and I want to rock these Frenchies' world with some awesome Italian cheeses. (That said, Roscioli has a pretty serious selection of French cheeses, it must be duly noted) Pier-Luigi sicks his cheese-maven on me. Soon I'm getting tired chewing on cheese but at least I finally know what I want. They tell me a new shipment is coming in on Friday. I said I'll be back Saturday AM. They also have some delish sweet-spicy mandarino condiments to go with that cheese. Did I mention that awesome, soft creamy Robiola and the pepper and honey I'm going to put on it? I didn't think so.

#17 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:13 AM

Just got back from Glass. Chef used to live in Austin for quite a few years, but she may have been a lawyer then.

I think I want a slice of pizza for dinner tomorrow. Two big meals in a row is too much.

#18 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,530 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:48 PM

Two big meals in a row is too much.

This is not the Chambolle we know and love.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#19 balex

balex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:50 PM

A quick trip to Rome;

Da Nino for lunch -- old school Tuscan food, very good artichokes alla romana, and other vegetable antipasti, and then pappardelle with hare sauce. A 2008 Castello di Ama Chianti was just beautiful, very pure.

Dinner at my favorite pizzeria, not a well known one. I made the mistake of ordering a more expensive Montepulciano d'Abruzzo and ended up with a modern fruit bomb. San Crispino gelato afterwards.

Pre lunch snack of some pizza al taglio, some bianco, and some with porcini from the Forno in Campo dei Fiori. Lunch at Roscioli, which I still don't like. Wonderful wonderful wine list, and great ingredients (at least the ham and cheese and pasta), but they don't cook very well, and the service is bad, the room is cramped.
Anyway some nice old Nebbiolo from Lombardy, but the food was not up to scratch.

There was a starter of artichoke. In Rome there are only three authorised artichoke dishes.
Alla Romana ( stewed with mint), Alla Giudea (deep fried), and a salad of raw sliced artichokes with some grana or parmesan and a lemon juice and olive oil dressing. This was a lot of tepid and tasteless cooked artichokes, with a very few slices of raw artichokes, some pine nuts, and a tasteless dressing. At a time when the market down the street has the most beautiful cimarola artichokes, just unforgivable.

Then dinner at Metamorfosi -- a new restaurant in Parioli, a 10 minute taxi ride from the centre.
Some very good food, quite creative, but flawed by the fact that it was a special valentine's day dinner, and like all these special dinners in Italy (e.g. New Year's eve/Capodanno) painfully slow. So at midnight when the lamb course with cauliflower and chocolate finally arrived, we asked for the bill, since we had to get up at 4:45 for a flight the next morning. Then we got the dessert courses in very rapid succession.
Some Giacosa Barbaresco.

As the name suggests, it is 'transformative' cuisine -- so some slow cooked eggs, broths of parmesan etc. Bit still recognisably italian. Standout dish was a ravioli of pear with a broth of aged parmesan with some black truffle shavings (from Norcia but still good). A bit like tortelli di zucca, but lighter and purer. Interesting textures, techniques and ingredients.
Worth going to if you like more modern cooking.

They had some english speaking staff, though we were the only non italian customers. I don't think it is on the foodie tourist circuit at the moment.

Best coffee was in the old sicilian place in Piazza in Pietra.

#20 Nancy S.

Nancy S.

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:25 PM

A quick trip to Rome;

Da Nino for lunch -- old school Tuscan food, very good artichokes alla romana, and other vegetable antipasti, and then pappardelle with hare sauce. A 2008 Castello di Ama Chianti was just beautiful, very pure.

Dinner at my favorite pizzeria, not a well known one. I made the mistake of ordering a more expensive Montepulciano d'Abruzzo and ended up with a modern fruit bomb. San Crispino gelato afterwards.

Pre lunch snack of some pizza al taglio, some bianco, and some with porcini from the Forno in Campo dei Fiori. Lunch at Roscioli, which I still don't like. Wonderful wonderful wine list, and great ingredients (at least the ham and cheese and pasta), but they don't cook very well, and the service is bad, the room is cramped.
Anyway some nice old Nebbiolo from Lombardy, but the food was not up to scratch.

There was a starter of artichoke. In Rome there are only three authorised artichoke dishes.
Alla Romana ( stewed with mint), Alla Giudea (deep fried), and a salad of raw sliced artichokes with some grana or parmesan and a lemon juice and olive oil dressing. This was a lot of tepid and tasteless cooked artichokes, with a very few slices of raw artichokes, some pine nuts, and a tasteless dressing. At a time when the market down the street has the most beautiful cimarola artichokes, just unforgivable.

Then dinner at Metamorfosi -- a new restaurant in Parioli, a 10 minute taxi ride from the centre.
Some very good food, quite creative, but flawed by the fact that it was a special valentine's day dinner, and like all these special dinners in Italy (e.g. New Year's eve/Capodanno) painfully slow. So at midnight when the lamb course with cauliflower and chocolate finally arrived, we asked for the bill, since we had to get up at 4:45 for a flight the next morning. Then we got the dessert courses in very rapid succession.
Some Giacosa Barbaresco.

As the name suggests, it is 'transformative' cuisine -- so some slow cooked eggs, broths of parmesan etc. Bit still recognisably italian. Standout dish was a ravioli of pear with a broth of aged parmesan with some black truffle shavings (from Norcia but still good). A bit like tortelli di zucca, but lighter and purer. Interesting textures, techniques and ingredients.

They had some english speaking staff, though we were the only non italian customers. I don't think it is on the foodie tourist circuit at the moment.

Great to read this. We're off to Rome in a few weeks. Metamorfosi has been getting excellent reviews. I may revise my picks to include it.

#21 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,055 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:39 PM

A quick trip to Rome;

Some Giacosa Barbaresco.

Great to read this. We're off to Rome in a few weeks. Metamorfosi has been getting excellent reviews. I may revise my picks to include it.

Here's Eliz. Minchili's: http://www.elizabeth...nt-in-rome.html

This space available… contact owner.

#22 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,558 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:05 PM

Pre lunch snack of some pizza al taglio, some bianco, and some with porcini from the Forno in Campo dei Fiori.

i like the way you fortify before lunch
“Eat me,’’ it says. “Eat me and die.’’ -- Jonathan Gold

Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it's not the end.