11 replies to this topic

#1 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,687 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:15 PM

From Drinks International. Odd looking list.

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#2 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,426 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:52 PM

Buddha Bar Posted Image

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#3 balex

balex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:11 PM

Buddha Bar Posted Image

Yes, wow.

But the Connaught bar is my favourite bar in London so they got something right.

#4 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70,002 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:40 PM

It's certainly a list you'd get by polling the people they polled (Playboy Clubís Salvatore Calabrese, King Cocktail Dale DeGroff, Esquire USís David Wondrich and diamond ice-carver Hidetsugu Ueno, etc). Hence the homogeneity and general lack of character - although not, of course, of professional polish.

#5 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,201 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:57 PM

It's certainly a list you'd get by polling the people they polled (Playboy Clubís Salvatore Calabrese, King Cocktail Dale DeGroff, Esquire USís David Wondrich and diamond ice-carver Hidetsugu Ueno, etc). Hence the homogeneity and general lack of character - although not, of course, of professional polish.

Have you ever been to Boadas in Barcelona? Because it strikes me as the sort of place that would be to your taste.

Buddha Bar, ha indeed. Drink champagne at Buddha Bar would be my advice, and make sure it's on someone else's dime. I do recall very competent although vertiginously expensive cocktails at the Ritz and the Plaza Athenee.

I love the bar in Rules.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#6 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,426 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:30 PM

It's certainly a list you'd get by polling the people they polled (Playboy Club's Salvatore Calabrese, King Cocktail Dale DeGroff, Esquire US's David Wondrich and diamond ice-carver Hidetsugu Ueno, etc). Hence the homogeneity and general lack of character - although not, of course, of professional polish.

Ueno has plenty of character. It's a bit unfortunate that some of that character involves beating his assistant when he's upset about the state of business and the lousy food he had in Taiwan the week before, but his bar is still a highly recommended stop. (but of course even though it's genuinely great, gets hyped above and beyond what might be justified in a city where there are bars offering hundreds of whiskeys and plenty of character)

Drink champagne at Buddha Bar would be my advice

And keep your eye on your drink at all times.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#7 Eatmywords

Eatmywords

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:30 PM

With Stoli as a sponsor I was surprised the list contained as many legitimate entries

#8 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,201 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:35 PM

Drink champagne at Buddha Bar would be my advice

And keep your eye on your drink at all times.

But of course. :ph43r:
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#9 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,951 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:47 PM

If I read this correctly, The Varnish in downtown LA is the 22d best bar in the world? Please! There are any number of other bars equal to or better than The Varnish (although I do like it a lot) downtown, in Hollywood, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills and elsewhere.

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#10 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70,002 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:19 PM

Walked past Boadas often enough, but didn't know it had a reputation. I don't really think of drinking around the Plaza de Catalunya (although there's a bar a little way down the Ramblas on the right which has a nice sausage plate).

#11 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 05:29 PM

I've been to only two of the bars on the list, Boadas being one of them (Pegu Club the other).

We loved Boadas - it was low key and made lovely cocktails.

For me, when I look at these lists I scan it looking for the places I've been, and then I decide whether or not the list has merit. Since I liked Boadas a lot, I'll probably use the list as a starting point when I travel to the other cities represented on it.
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#12 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,687 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 05:38 PM

Drink has no business being on the list despite its excellent cocktails.

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.