No replies to this topic

#1 Really Nice!

Really Nice!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:08 PM

This recipe is for preserving foie gras through canning. I've found two recipes for it: Foie Gras, A Passion by Michael A. Ginor and Mitchell Davis, recipe by Nicole Manrique on page 106; and Goose Fat & Garlic by Jeanne Strang and Tony Gregson, page 39. Both recipes are similar. Sterilize canning jar, season foie and pack it into the jars, pour armagnac over foie, cover with lid, simmer at 180F for 1 to 1.5 hours.

The Manrique recipe says you can store this in your wine cellar for up to 10 years. So last fall I decided to make it after consulting both recipes.

The recipes say to pack 1 whole foie into 1 large jar or 1/2 a foie into 2 smaller 12 oz jars. I decided to go with 4 smaller 6 oz jars because I felt that 6 oz would be enough as an hors d'oeuvres for 4 people.

When I simmered the jars the fat started to quickly melt so I decided to take them out after 20 minutes. I opened a jar this weekend and it turned out okay. I was expecting some grittiness that you get from over-cooked foie, but to my surprise and pleasure this was smooth and silky.

Has anyone else tried canning foie gras in small jars? If yes, what's your experience?

Thanks!

BTW, there are some recipes written in French here, here, and there.