60 replies to this topic

#1 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,944 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:24 AM

Somewhat lost amidst all the Penn State news, Coach Mike Krzyzewski got his 903rd win at Madison Square Garden passing his former coach, Bobby Knight. The man knows how to win ball games.

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#2 TheMatt

TheMatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:42 PM

Putting on my Crocodile Dundee hat: That wasn't lost, this was lost! Last night Herb Magee won his 923rd game as coach of the Philadelphia University Rams (45 years as coach). This now ties him with Don Meyer's NCAA record for most NCAA Men's Basketball coaching victories.
Dr TheMatt
Certified Nerd and Oh So Boring...

#3 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,944 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:58 PM

Putting on my Crocodile Dundee hat: That wasn't lost, this was lost! Last night Herb Magee won his 923rd game as coach of the Philadelphia University Rams (45 years as coach). This now ties him with Don Meyer's NCAA record for most NCAA Men's Basketball coaching victories.

Which division?

Big Freedia

#4 TheMatt

TheMatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:23 PM

Which division?

Division II. Which, admittedly, does make this less of an accomplishment. Still, it's impressive that anyone at any division does this.

And, of course, Pat Summitt is at 1071 and Geno Auriemma, in a decade or so after Summitt retires, might challenge her number if he keeps winning.
Dr TheMatt
Certified Nerd and Oh So Boring...

#5 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,944 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:21 PM

Which division?

Division II. Which, admittedly, does make this less of an accomplishment. Still, it's impressive that anyone at any division does this.

And, of course, Pat Summitt is at 1071 and Geno Auriemma, in a decade or so after Summitt retires, might challenge her number if he keeps winning.

I'm impressed.

Big Freedia

#6 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,331 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:22 PM

Ten years and 10 months after a plane crash took the lives of some of the OSU Men's basketball team's players and coaches, another crash takes the life of its women's basketball head coach and one of his assistants.

#7 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,331 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 05:19 PM

So Mr. Bonner, will I see you in Tuscaloosa on Thursday?

#8 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,361 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 06:40 PM

Maybe. We had to cancel our NOLA weekend that I originally planned around the game so my wife is def out. I'm gonna wait and see what my schedule looks like for the week tomorrow - I have a meeting I can't reschedule, but don't know what day it is this week yet, if I can pull it off and I can convince a few guys to come with I'm going to go. But I sort of doubt it. I'm looking forward to it. Hoyas looked better than expected in Maui, but they are so young I don't see them performing well in a true road game against a team with experience. If I were heartless I'd probably bet on Bama to cover

Watch the Frosh #22 tho - going to be a very very quality player. didn't play AAU ball so under the radar - ended up ranked #30 despite that. Sort of fell in our lap because Haith left Mizzou and his dad played ball at SWMS with one of the hoyas assistants. Its also a big game for the hoyas recruiting wise - historically the best recruiting team in the South in the Big East.
Why not mayo?

#9 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,331 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 12:13 AM

Maybe. We had to cancel our NOLA weekend that I originally planned around the game so my wife is def out. I'm gonna wait and see what my schedule looks like for the week tomorrow - I have a meeting I can't reschedule, but don't know what day it is this week yet, if I can pull it off and I can convince a few guys to come with I'm going to go. But I sort of doubt it. I'm looking forward to it. Hoyas looked better than expected in Maui, but they are so young I don't see them performing well in a true road game against a team with experience. If I were heartless I'd probably bet on Bama to cover

Watch the Frosh #22 tho - going to be a very very quality player. didn't play AAU ball so under the radar - ended up ranked #30 despite that. Sort of fell in our lap because Haith left Mizzou and his dad played ball at SWMS with one of the hoyas assistants. Its also a big game for the hoyas recruiting wise - historically the best recruiting team in the South in the Big East.

Keep me posted. I am flying in (coincidentally from NOLA the afternoon of the game. Would be fun to talk some smack in person.

I think we may be ranked higher than we deserve...will know more after tonight. We play VCU in a little over two hours. Should be interesting. We are like Georgetown in the 'youth' department. And, on injury away from going from being very competitive in the SEC, to the cellar.

#10 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,361 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:24 PM

Well that ended up a lot more exciting than it began. Tough matchups for both teams in terms of style and personnel. Gald the hoyas pulled it tho' it would have been pretty tough to lose after being up 9 under 2 to go. One of those games where you can't decide if the teams are playing poorly on offense or just incredibly on defense.

That first half though. Man. That was not fun to watch.
Why not mayo?

#11 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,948 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:58 PM

Well that ended up a lot more exciting than it began. Tough matchups for both teams in terms of style and personnel. Gald the hoyas pulled it tho' it would have been pretty tough to lose after being up 9 under 2 to go. One of those games where you can't decide if the teams are playing poorly on offense or just incredibly on defense.

Any predictions on next week's ranking for the Hoyas? I assume they will make it to the top 25 after that game.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#12 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,361 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 04:09 PM

Any predictions on next week's ranking for the Hoyas? I assume they will make it to the top 25 after that game.

one assumes. Given we've made it to 8 or 9 in January and then not made the tourney in the recent past, I actually prefer being unranked. We only have one OOC game left where we can lose - Memphis on the 22nd. The team was so young this year we've got a JT jr back to the future style OOC schedule. St. Leo's must have been booked.

I'll be very happy to get a bye at the BET and an NCAA birth. I think nearly all of the fan base would consider that a good year given expectations a month ago.

If I had to guess - I'd say 18-22. Even though they've beaten the #8 and #12 teams in the country at a neutral site and on the road, I suspect those wins will not be as impressive come March. I think Evelyn is right on about Bama. Great defensive team, but very flawed offensively. And as someone who was in school during the waning days of JT jr, I know from offensive flaws.
Why not mayo?

#13 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,331 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:28 PM

Damn ipad

#14 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,331 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:42 PM

one assumes. Given we've made it to 8 or 9 in January and then not made the tourney in the recent past, I actually prefer being unranked. We only have one OOC game left where we can lose - Memphis on the 22nd. The team was so young this year we've got a JT jr back to the future style OOC schedule. St. Leo's must have been booked.

I'll be very happy to get a bye at the BET and an NCAA birth. I think nearly all of the fan base would consider that a good year given expectations a month ago.

If I had to guess - I'd say 18-22. Even though they've beaten the #8 and #12 teams in the country at a neutral site and on the road, I suspect those wins will not be as impressive come March. I think Evelyn is right on about Bama. Great defensive team, but very flawed offensively. And as someone who was in school during the waning days of JT jr, I know from offensive flaws.

That first half was UGLY. And, it was tough to lose on a three like that. But, it was a helluva a shot.

As for Bama, all any team needs to do is play 2-3 zone against us. Once they get boxed out a couple of times, they get frustrated and go to the perimeter pass, long two or three ball shot to avoid a shot clock violation. No dribble drive penetration. When the get the ball inside to Mitchell or Green, they are tough to defend...but, they get away from that too easily. If Releford gets hurt, we are in trouble. We don't have another point guard who's experienced enough. And, if Green gets hurt, no big man inside. All that said, we are probaly a high teen, low top twenty team. I'd say the Hoyas are about the same.

If you haven't watched Kentucky play, be sure to give them a look. This team is going to be special. They are going to make the team two years ago look like a JUCO team.

#15 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,361 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:49 PM

If you haven't watched Kentucky play, be sure to give them a look. This team is going to be special. They are going to make the team two years ago look like a JUCO team.

Anthony Davis' block rate is 17% - that's just crazy. That said whomever scheduled KU vs SJU is just a sick sick person. There was no point to that matchup. Sure sure, it was planned before 3 of Lavin's big recruits got DQ'd - but I can't think of a worse matchup.

Calipari still can't coach and he is still an AAU whore, but man so much talent.
Why not mayo?