3 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,097 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:19 PM

Susan on eGullet has a glowing review of a recent dinner at Ursino. It's a very polished looking restaurant in the Sciences building at Kean University (nee Kean College, Newark State Teachers College) on Morris Avenue in Union.

I'm not familiar with chef Peter Turso, but Richard Spalding was the long time FOH manager at David Drake in Rahway. He later trained staff at Ninety Acres, I believe. Good guy, real industry professional. His presence speaks well of the restaurant's credibility.

eGullet link

ample dinner entree items:

Pan Seared Barnegat Sea Scallops

Sunchokes, Frisée, Sweet Carrot Sauce | 28

---------------------------
Jail Island Salmon

Haricots Verts, Eggplant, Tomato-Fennel Broth | 25

---------------------------
East Coast Halibut

Beech Mushroom, Brussel Sprouts, Savory Jus | 27

----------------------------
Local Organic Polenta

Fall Vegetable Confit, Shaved Gruyere, Spaghetti Squash, Vin Cotto | 25

Ursino's site

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#2 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 12:35 AM

There have also been very positive reviews on Chowhound, which is where I first learned of Ursino's existence. When I looked at the website, I was surprised to see that Richard was now at Ursino since he was at the reception desk at 90 Acres when we had dinner there in May. There was a mix-up regarding our reservation for the special "BMF" dinner, and he straightened things out for us. Of course, we know him from David Drake. Ursino is at the top of my NJ "go to" list.

#3 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,097 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:05 PM

There have also been very positive reviews on Chowhound, which is where I first learned of Ursino's existence. When I looked at the website, I was surprised to see that Richard was now at Ursino since he was at the reception desk at 90 Acres when we had dinner there in May. There was a mix-up regarding our reservation for the special "BMF" dinner, and he straightened things out for us. Of course, we know him from David Drake. Ursino is at the top of my NJ "go to" list.

Nice write up in the Ledger

Ursino, which opened last fall, uses produce grown on the property. Their promise to be first with the spring crop — English peas, spinach, fava beans — is thanks to cold frame gardening. Local Eagle Scouts refurbished the school’s 18th century cold frames — garden frames topped by glass, providing a greenhouse effect.

The chef is Peter Turso, who has worked with David Drake and Nicholas Harary, two of Jersey’s finest, and who handles the ingredients in a pure manner. With carrots, he steeps the peels and blanches the tops, adding layers of intensity to the original vegetable; broccoli is hand-harvested to capture it at its sweetest. If this is what Turso can do with the lowly vegetables of winter, one can only imagine what luxuries spring and summer will bring. Even the bar pizza adheres to the philosophy of purity, with a homemade sourdough crust, kitchen-made mozzarella and homegrown basil.

First in its class

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#4 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,097 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:16 PM

Rosie has a nuanced review of a recent visit to Ursino.  A few of my  takeaways -

--where you sit is important, noise levels vary widely

--food was generally  very good, although there were a few clunkers

--service was generally not good

Definitely worth reading through

http://njmonthly.com....html#read_more

...Jonathan Waxman