40 replies to this topic

#16 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,451 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:00 AM

you people must travel on some special airlines. i've rarely seen kids be more than a nuisance.

my annoying opinions: untimely whisky reviews and occasional cultural commentary

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#17 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,798 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:33 AM

http://newsfeed.time...ing-sound-ever/
I never said that

#18 porkwah

porkwah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:35 AM

i think they should restrict infants and children on grayhound buses too

ABCDEFGHIJKLNMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

bob marleycorn must die 

this food left intentionally bland

and i swear that i don't have a pun

originality is a bitter

#19 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:09 AM

Unfortunately the little bastards are necessary to fund my pension.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#20 FoodDabbler

FoodDabbler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:27 AM

But isn't this the official sound of MF?

Go ahead Lex.

#21 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 03:47 PM

you people must travel on some special airlines. i've rarely seen kids be more than a nuisance.

I agree and I've flown on many, many domestic flights. Perhaps those who are seriously troubled with parents/children should check into MBSR.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#22 Eatmywords

Eatmywords

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 03:57 PM

And you should have all saved enough money by now from not having children to afford private jets.

#23 squibble

squibble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:44 PM

We flew country-to-country every two weeks or so for many years. There is sometimes a brief period after take-off and landing when a baby or two will cry from the pressure changes, but mostly the kids slept or played and were not a problem. In all that time, there was one situation that was a little taxing that involved a stinky diaper bag and a kid kicking my seat back for many hours. I had a much worse experience when 32 Chinese sports team members threw up as the plane swerved a bit during a landing. That was all dealt with quite well by the attendants, can't remember which airline.

#24 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,798 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:49 PM

And you should have all saved enough money by now from not having children to afford private jets.

We're trying to offset the environmental damage caused by children by flying coach.
I never said that

#25 TaliesinNYC

TaliesinNYC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,881 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:55 PM

But isn't this the official sound of MF?

Go ahead Lex.

Obvious trolling is obvious.

#26 fentona

fentona

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:01 PM

I think that flying has become very unpleasant in lots of ways, and children make a useful scapegoat.
Andrew Fenton

#27 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,451 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:17 PM

it's a curiously anti-child culture in the u.s. generally. flying is no more pleasant in india--indeed, given much greater flight delays etc. it's probably more unpleasant. but you never hear complaints about kids. if anything, other passengers are happy to help parents and amuse children. i've seen similar things in europe (though not on flights). i remember a wedding i attended in a small town in france: it was a solemn wedding in a church but the kids were all playing loudly in the back and right outside. nobody was freaking out.

if you believe everything you read, the majority of american kids these days are being brought up wrong. but so many of the complainers, who were presumably brought up right, seem so maladjusted and unhappy at worst, or lack a sense of proportion at best--maybe it's better to bring kids up wrong then.

my annoying opinions: untimely whisky reviews and occasional cultural commentary

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#28 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,798 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:24 PM

Yes, Indian culture has been very successful at bringing happiness and a sense of proportion to its adult population and Europeans have many babies because they love them so much. Posted Image

I'm personally not too bothered by screaming, pooping, babbling babies but since the average person is very much bothered by them I think it makes sense for airlines to respond rather than wait until US culture makes progress.
I never said that

#29 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:42 PM

I volunteered and did give up my bulkhead seat on a trip back from the UK to a mother and baby a few months ago. The air attendant politely asked the person next to me if he'd move too to give room for the cot and the father. The guy, maybe Czeck, who had briefly chatted to me in English before this happened feigned not to understand the French (this was on Air France) or English spoken by the attendant and was determined to stay put. He said under his breath the family should've got their act together when booking the flight. This person went way down in my estimation.
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#30 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,451 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:08 PM

Yes, Indian culture has been very successful at bringing happiness and a sense of proportion to its adult population and Europeans have many babies because they love them so much. Posted Image

no, it's just that the normal behaviour of small children does not appear to be one of the things they get their panties in a bunch over.

I'm personally not too bothered by screaming, pooping, babbling babies but since the average person is very much bothered by them I think it makes sense for airlines to respond rather than wait until US culture makes progress.

or people could increase the dosage of the meds they're already on. that's already a part of u.s. culture.

~homer simpson