6 replies to this topic

#1 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,769 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 05:07 AM

I followed Alton Brown's recipe, which seems pretty standard. It was amazing when it finished, but as it's been sitting in the fridge, it seems to be separating a bit. It's darker yellow on the bottom, lighter pale on the top. I opened it, and the top is almost foamy -- although it still tastes great. Can I re-whisk it back together? Over heat, or no heat.

And she was.

#2 SethG

SethG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,288 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:17 PM

I'm sure it's fine. I would just whisk it without heat and see how it turns out. I think lemon curd may be one of those things that is best stored with plastic wrap directly on the surface to avoid a skin forming, but I wouldn't get too worked up about it.
Why yes, I do have a rock climbing blog! Climb and Punishment

#3 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,951 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:55 PM

I agree with Seth. If you use heat, it will darken and lose its lemony color. I suspect that you refrigerated it too soon after taking if off the fire, but that's just a guess.

#4 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,769 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:54 PM

Possible. After I put in the butter, it was pretty cool, so I put it in a jar and into the fridge. We'll see. It's better than my frangipane! I think that when you pre-bake a tart shell, you have to let it cool before putting in a butter-based filling. Cause the butter starts to melt. But I figured it would go right into a hot over, so ...

And she was.

#5 Really Nice!

Really Nice!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 06:46 PM

I always use Keller's Bouchon/TFL recipe and it never fails. I'm making it for tonight's dessert. As for the foam I reduce that by passing it through a strainer. Works for me.

#6 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,769 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 03:01 PM

So, I guess I should strain out the zest?

And she was.

#7 wingding

wingding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:04 AM

uh huh....BTW,citrus curd made with a combo of whole eggs and yolks is lighter,and a no fail.
G*d is in the details...