69 replies to this topic

#1 E.L.A.

E.L.A.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 06:09 PM

Looks like they are right on schedule and will be opening early next year. I had heard they were actually running ahead of schedule. The hiring trailer is in and they are hiring. A lot of positive buzz about the place. The Clifton location does well. I've been there several times, and I've even been to the Woodbridge location once as well.

Doherty Enterprises -- who owns/operates Johhny Carino's, various Panera Bread locations, Applebee's and Chevy's -- is the owner/operator of Shannon Rose. They are a top notch group and this is their 3rd location. I am looking forward to this place.

Happy and Healthy Thanksgiving Holiday to all.

#2 marauder

marauder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 12:06 AM

You're looking forward to Shannon Rose? Nobody serves bad variations of Irish pub food near you?

#3 menton1

menton1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 03:15 PM

You're looking forward to Shannon Rose? Nobody serves bad variations of Irish pub food near you?

Pearl River has a half-dozen Irish Pubs!! Then there's Finnegan's in Westwood, Davey's in Montvale, and MacMurphy's in Ridgewood. Well saturated.

Plus, any group that also operates Panera Bread places is a must to avoid.

#4 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,024 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 04:06 PM

I've been the Clifton [ETA: Shannon Rose] a few times, and enjoyed their burgers. Better than Zinburger, and a bit cheaper. Good beer, too.

Krug's in Newark is my gold standard for burgers, and the Shannon Rose isn't that good.

Edited for clarity given the subsequent development of the thread

Edited by Rail Paul, 01 December 2011 - 01:19 AM.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#5 E.L.A.

E.L.A.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 05:17 PM

Absolutely. Don't need the "Irish pub food" aspect. Like I said, I've been to Clifton location -- like the burgers, appetizers, a vast selection of draft beers, and entertainment. If I wanted "Irish" pub food or otherwise, there are other places I'd go. Thanks.

#6 E.L.A.

E.L.A.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 05:19 PM

I've been the Clifron store a few times, and enjoyed their burgers. Better than Zinburger, and a cheaper. Good beer, too.

Krug's in Newark is my gold standard for burgers, and the Shannon Rose isn't that good.

Yes, the burgers are good. I like 'em. Excellent beer selection. Not sure what they have planned for Ramsey, but I guess we'll soon see.

#7 marauder

marauder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:01 AM

I'm sorry...I just don't share you fella's excitement for the place. It's clear it is in the early stages of "concept restaurant" and just screams "chain" to me. Admittedly, I've never had a burger there, but their other offerings are straight out of the Applebees microwave, steamer, fryer modes of production.

#8 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,024 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:10 AM

I'm sorry...I just don't share you fella's excitement for the place. It's clear it is in the early stages of "concept restaurant" and just screams "chain" to me. Admittedly, I've never had a burger there, but their other offerings are straight out of the Applebees microwave, steamer, fryer modes of production.

You definitely want to try the burger. It's good. Not great, but good.

Tell you what. If you try their burger, and don't like it, I'll pay for your burger.

Never had anything else there, so I am not speaking to anything else on their menu.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#9 menton1

menton1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 07:25 PM

And the same group operates a few Panera Bread... YUK!!!

#10 marauder

marauder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 11:31 PM

You definitely want to try the burger. It's good. Not great, but good.

Tell you what. If you try their burger, and don't like it, I'll pay for your burger.

Never had anything else there, so I am not speaking to anything else on their menu.

Can't get a better recommendation than that...I'll report back. lol

#11 menton1

menton1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 12:26 AM

I thought some folks said that Dutch House Tavern, Fair Lawn, was THE place for a burger in that neck of the woods...

#12 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,024 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 01:54 AM

I thought some folks said that Dutch House Tavern, Fair Lawn, was THE place for a burger in that neck of the woods...

Dutch House is a better burger (IMHO) than Shannon Rose, and better than Zinburger. Not as good as Krug's though

...Jonathan Waxman

#13 E.L.A.

E.L.A.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 03:58 AM

Excellent burger at the Dutch House. Of course it's a very different kind of place. Had the Whirly burger last time I was there. Excellent as usual.

#14 JonJacob

JonJacob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:36 PM

Dutch House burger very overrated.

Shannon Rose Irish Pub....why bother?

#15 E.L.A.

E.L.A.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:48 PM

Dutch House burger very overrated.

Shannon Rose Irish Pub....why bother?

What burger do you like in the area? Ever try Davey's Locker? Iron Horse (currently closed due to a fire)? I used to like both very much, but I feel the Iron Horse had slipped in recent years. Davey's is not as "excellent" as I remember from years ago, but it's still very good. I'd have no hesitation about ordering a burger there (if I wanted one). If I was closer to my office and wanting to take a ride, I'd go to Cheeseburger Cheeseburger. Bobby Flay's is very close and I like that one as well.

I recently had a very good burger at Dinallo's (in River Edge, for lunch).

What are your favorites? Thanks.