On Thanksgiving day Michelin released the 2012 famous stars for the restaurants in Spain. This year, more than any year in the past, the guide demonstrates their different way to measure Spain vs other countries out there. Overall the guide does not reflect AT ALL the gastronomic culture in Spain.
It is hard to believe why restaurants like Mugaritz, Atrio, Calima or Quique Dacosta did not get their 3rd start. Or what about the new Albert Adria restaurant in Barcelona Tickets, they did not even get 1 star. What a joke!
Last year 2011 Micheline awarded to Spain with new 21 stars ( 4 second stars and 17 first new stars ) and they demoted 16 stars. A balance of plus 5. This year we moved from plus 5 to minus 1, thanks to 16 new stars ( 3 new second stars and 13 new first stars ) and the lost of 17.
Anyway I guess it is time for the Spanish cuisine to reinvent themselves - one more time -, after El Bulli closure and push to move to the next level. That being said it is hard to see how the guide judges in a different way other countries or cities ie: New York, where everybody and their mother get a Michelin start or 2 or 3...
List of Changes:
- New 2 stars:
- Ábac (Barcelona)
- El Club Allard (Madrid)
- Diverxo (Madrid)
- Maralba (Almansa, Albacete),
- Solana (Ampuero, Cantabria),
- Rodrigo de la Calle (Aranjuez, Madrid),
- Nerua (Bilbao, Bizkaia),
- Choco (Córdoba),
- Lillas Pastia (Huesca),
- Casamar (Llafranc, Girona),
- Es Fum (Palmanova, Mallorca),
- Jardín (Port d'Alcúdia, Mallorca),
- Annua (San Vicente de la Barquera, Cantabria),
- Casa Marcelo (Santiago de Compostela, A Coruña)
- Silabario (Tui, Pontevedra).
- ElBulli (Ferran Adrià, Roses) Closed
- Can Fabes (Xavier Pellicer, Sant Celoni). His Chef died this year: Santi Santamaria. There is no doubt that with the new chef that took over the kitchen Xavier Pellicer, the 3rd start will be coming soon
- La Alquería (Rafa Zafra, Hacienda de Benazuza) Closed
- Koldo Miranda (Koldo Miranda, Avilés) Closed
- Drolma (Fermí Puig, Barcelona) Closed
- Lluçanès (Àngel Pasqual, Barcelona) Closed
- A Rexidora (Javier González, Bentraces)
- Gadus (Thierry Enderlin, Cala d’Or)
- La Solana (Gonzalo Pañeda, Gijón)
- La Broche (Ángel Palacios, Madrid) Closed
- Café de París (José Carlos García, Málaga)
- Tierra (Ismael Delgado, Torrico-Valdepalacios)
- Ramiro’s (Ramiro Ruiz, Valladolid)
- Ikea (Jose Ramon Berriozabal, Vitoria)