5 replies to this topic

#1 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,025 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 02:29 PM

This nearly silent, black-and-white film that utilizes many of the techniques of silent movies -- camera angles, opticals, and so forth -- brilliantly illustrates some of the problems of the transition from silent to sound. The story is mash-up of "Singin' in the Rain" and "A Star is Born," yet, it is totally original.

#2 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,783 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 02:10 AM

Saw it last night and enjoyed it a great deal.

Even in B&W, the costumes are gorgeous.

I don't want to seem obsessed with this, but . . . -- Sneakeater, August 13, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#3 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,873 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:21 PM

It's a classy work and the costumes are lovely. I thought the story moved a little too slowly at times. It was sweet listening to comments of older viewers after the film. They really liked it, almost as if it made them feel younger.

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#4 Really Nice!

Really Nice!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:53 AM

Just saw it tonight at Big Picture Seattle after dinner at El Gaucho. Big Picture is a great theater for watching a movie if for no other reason than 1) There are no coming attractions... the movie starts at the published time. Wow! What a concept! You don't have to sit through 20 minutes of commercials you see everyday on your own TV! 2) You can get a beer, wine, or martini at the bar and bring it into the theater and sit in the big, comfy chair. "Would you like us to replenish your drink at the half-way point?" Yeah, :rolleyes: sure, :rolleyes: okay :rolleyes:

I thought the movie was very good, but the editor in me noticed the French punctuation in the English title cards. I was distracted. Which means my wife was distracted at me. Which means I shut up and enjoyed the movie.

#5 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,655 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:04 PM

I LIKE coming attractions. (I guess it's cuz I don't watch TV.)
Bar Loser

MF Old

#6 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,783 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:00 PM

I LIKE coming attractions. (I guess it's cuz I don't watch TV.)

Me, too. For the same reason, plus:
  • I get to make nasty comments about how awful and stupid and the same every movie looks (I swear, I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference between Coriolanus and Ben Hur, based on previews)
  • I get to say things like, "That's what he looks like nowadays?! Man, he hasn't aged well at all."
  • they offer justification for my not going to the movies more than once a year (twice in a big year)

I don't want to seem obsessed with this, but . . . -- Sneakeater, August 13, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table