4 replies to this topic

#1 VMTG

VMTG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:21 PM

In a few weeks I will be flying into CdG on a weekday at 18h00 on a flight within Europe. I am heading to Rambuteau, east of the Centre Pompidou. To avoid a 60+ Euro cab fare I will take either the RER or Roissybus to Opera. At that hour traffic should not be too bad so the bus won't be that much slower than the RER.

Since I am bringing a large bag, transfers through the RER will be a pain. Furthermore the closest stop to Rambuteau, Chatelet/Les Halles, is particularly unpleasant to negotiate and then there are several long blocks to walk until my final destination. The only reason why I am considering the RER at all is the thought that the Gare du Nord exit may not be as bad as the other. It certainly is a less cumbersome station than Chatelet/Les Halles and it is far enough away that taking a taxi makes sense (the other problem with the Les Halles station is because of the one-way system and pedestrian areas, a taxi takes as much time as walking).

Whatever the final station, there is still the problem of transferring from the airport terminal to the RER station.

How are the escalators at Gard du Nord? I assume that there is no elevator. How many stairways must one negotiate?

My inclination is to take the Roissybus to Opera, but is the RER through Gard du Nord worth considering?

#2 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,482 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:34 PM

I'd take the RER. Transferring in the airport is not a problem and requires no major acrobatics with your luggage.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#3 VMTG

VMTG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:54 PM

I'd take the RER. Transferring in the airport is not a problem and requires no major acrobatics with your luggage.

The issue is where to get off on the RER? How is the Gard du Nord with a bulky heavy bag?

#4 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,482 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:11 PM

The issue is where to get off on the RER? How is the Gard du Nord with a bulky heavy bag?

Easy. The taxi line can get long at times, but it's very well organized.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#5 VMTG

VMTG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:48 PM

As it turns out I never had to take public transport into Paris since someone I met on the flight gave me a ride into town. Going back to the airport a few days later in the middle of a week day I took a taxi from the Centre Pompidou area to the Opera stop of the Roissybus. It was the cheapest, simplest, easiest, and quickest route I could find. No complaints.

Without luggage the RER is fine, but for someone laden with bags Metro stations are the pits.