• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,210 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:36 PM

Allswell124 Bedford Ave
(between 11th St & 10th St)
Brooklyn, NY 11211
Neighborhood: Williamsburg - North Side

I am not a huge reader of what's going on in the food world.. I know many people here know about chefs the way baseball fans can rattle of stats on player's ERA's and RBI's and whatever else is recorded. Hell my brother in law can tell you the high school and college attended by most professional athletes.. I can not.. Sure, if I am a frequent customer of a place, I will most likely know who the chef is. And people's names like Ryan Skeen I read about because, who knows why he is given so much attention.. But, the whole point is, I don't know many chefs.. I feel like I will read about all of these new places opening somewhere and when it comes time to go to dinner, I am at a loss.. I backtrack through eater or grub street which I might glance at weekly and can never seem to find the places I read about..

Well, the other night, I remember reading something about Nate Smith.. Nate Smith, who I confused with Nate Appleman, who I heard about because he was a runner.. So, Nate Smith, was originally at this restaurant in Brooklyn where he was asked to leave or quit for some reason or another was written about because he worked at The Spotted Pig which, I thought was run by April Blumenthal (she I do know)

Anyway, it was Saturday night around 10 pm and we were on our way to this new restaurant, gastro pub type place..We called ahead of time to see if there were seats available.. I get a pretty good read on people so, when I called and spoke with Johnny Fancy Pants on the phone, despite his best efforts to be elusive and nonchalant, I could tell there were seats available. He didn't outright say there were seats available but, he didn't give me the big Ooooooo, so sorry, no soup for you, type attitude..

We arrive and the place is buzzing.. Most of the tables are occupied, a nice crowd at the bar with everyone provided with a seat. We were seated in a cozy nook.. The room was candle lit and warm.. Lots of woods and fabric wall papers.. I was happy..

The menu is small and concise.. Though, this is not the place for a light little meal. Most of the options have meat and are on the heavy side. A respectable thing for a Gastro Pub in the winter.. There were couple of cocktails, a really nice beer menu and a decent wine list. A fun place to grab a drink, even without any food.

Apparently the menu changes quiet a bit, perhaps daily and there is a special late night menu..

We stared with a kale ceasar salad.. Has the Kale, Ceasar! been done to death and am I just getting the joke now.. The salad was done very nicely.. Not much garlic though.. I am a garlic guy perhaps, in a hip place like this, people don't want to get all stinky. I could see that.. It was good none the less.. Homemade croutons, buttery and delicious..

With the ceasar we were served my favorite dish of the night.. It was smoked trout with little baby potato halves, pickled shallots and a really nice ricotta cheese.. All the flavors worked, it brought me to a salmon and cream cheese type thing. We were both fans of this dish..

Next we ordered the bottarga pasta.. The pasta was Tagliarini pasta.. It was a little wider than I was expecting but, the pasta was perfect.. Cooked al dente, you can tell made in house with lots of eggs.. It was a beautiful pasta.. The sauce however, was a let down.. It had very little bottarga taste and was more of a cream sauce.. It was good but, kind of one note and boring.,. But the pasta itself was the star of the show..

At this point, the clock struck 12 and the late night menu began.. We were about to leave when the waitress suggested we try the french fries.. Well, i don't think she suggested them but, we said, what's good on the late night menu.. She said the burger is amazing and so are the french fries.. Hand cut, double fried, large log cabin log looking fries.. We ordered them despite not being hungry, despite not "needing" them.. They came out and they looked amazing.. However, they were overcooked and dried out. They had potential for being amazing but, we got a bad batch...

Over all the place is comfortable, warm, the prices are reasonable, and the food changes often and is striving to be something.. There definitely seems to be an effort being made..

I think it's worth trying.. With something as good as the smoked trout dish being produced, I am sure there will be many lovely things coming from the kitchen..
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#2 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,210 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:17 PM

I check on their website rather often as they update it almost daily..

Their Valentines Day Menu looked really great to me.. I might have to go tonight and see if they are still serving last night's venison osso bucco..

Has anyone been recently?

Posted Image

#3 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,210 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:30 PM

Just had a wonderful meal there last night.. It was one of the more satisfying meals I have had in a long time. We arrived around 930 or 10 and the place was fairly empty.. The room is really pretty at night, very cozy and romantic. Waitstaff was so nice as well.

We started with their in house baked bread and their in house made ricotta cheese.. This was off the charts delicious.. The bread was thick and toasted and topped with some olive oil, in my mind I can't remember if there was a little rye or it was a sour dough.. The ricotta was so creamy in taste and texture.. For 5 dollars, we received three large pieces of bread and about a cup of cheese.. It was a great value..

Next up, smoked Artic Char on a potato pancake with some sour cream or crema.. The pancake was the size of an 8 inch plate. Topped with beautifully done char, some crema, i think some dill and capers.

We then moved on to this sort of sliced pork crudo tonnato.. Oh my this was good.. It looked like Berkshire Pork because of the beautiful ribbons of fat. .It was sliced paper thin and the tuna sauce was delicious.. This like all the dishes were beautifully balanced.. There were not like clumps or glopped on tuna sauce. There was a perfect amount that sent you searching around the plate and finding just enough..

Finally, we had this broccolini with spaghetti.. The pasta was cooked like perfect, perfect. The pasta, I asked what brand, it was gustiamo.. I noticed there was something in the texture and color that was different.. No I see that it may have been made from farro.. .. http://gustiamo.com/...odotto?id=12681 .They separated the broccolini from the large stalk so there were just thin little spindles.. Tossed this in the spaghetti with a little cream sauce.. Oh my, I was expecting to be disappointed when I ordered it because it is something we make for Miss K all the time.. All I can say was wow, this dish was revelatory in it's execution and taste.. Just simple and delicious..

The menu is rather large and changes daily.. We could have ordered totally different dishes and not felt like we missed out.. I highly recommend coming here. I think I may come back tonight!

#4 jmoranmoya

jmoranmoya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:30 AM

Daniel thanks for your reviews about this place. I really don't know why not too many people commented about this restaurant or rave about it like for ACME. This place is phenomenal! One of the great openings in the last months.
We had an incredible duck, artic chart and outstanding Catalan stew. It was great, execution, taste, presentation... I mean I was blown away. Fully agree with your noted, I could not describe it better.
My only con is that it is always packed and tables are very close to each other, but overall The moment we left the place were were thinking on when to go back again!!!

#5 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69,577 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:01 AM

Thanks for that. Something is stirring, even in Brooklyn.

#6 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:52 PM

If only Sir John Franklin had had that arctic chart. He really needed it.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#7 jmoranmoya

jmoranmoya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:38 PM

If only Sir John Franklin had had that arctic chart. He really needed it.

Artic char :) excuse my English :P

#8 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,210 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:33 PM

Daniel thanks for your reviews about this place. I really don't know why not too many people commented about this restaurant or rave about it like for ACME. This place is phenomenal! One of the great openings in the last months.
We had an incredible duck, artic chart and outstanding Catalan stew. It was great, execution, taste, presentation... I mean I was blown away. Fully agree with your noted, I could not describe it better.
My only con is that it is always packed and tables are very close to each other, but overall The moment we left the place were were thinking on when to go back again!!!

Yeh, it's surprising that this place does not get more mentions.. We returned last night and had another wonderful experience. We had this smoked Hake Chowder that was outstanding. The best thing I have eaten well, since I had been here a couple of weeks ago. We were with a buddy of mine who is lactose intolerant (really so) which determined our choices. But, I could not pass on the chowder so, me and the Misses split it. I can;t wait to take Miss K back to try this soup, hoping they still have it.

We also had a lamb flat bread, brussel sprouts, potato pancakes with trout, these curry chicken pies that were equal to the Smoked Hake Chowder. They were 3 dollars a piece and were little pastries shaped like mini muffins filled with chicken, peas, a curry sauce and some other vegetables. On the side they served a coconut chutney. If I ate 5 of these things and called it a night I would have been happy. I tried to convince the table to order a dozen to go so we can have them for lunch. Pastry was flaky and perfect.

The brussel sprouts were cooked perfectly. They were plump and juicy topped with pecorino and honey. The pecorino and honey is a beautiful combination. The introduction of brussel sprouts did not change the combination. They all worked together.

Some people ordered cocktails which were tasty, i had a beer. We arrived around 930 or 10 and we had the last opened spot in the place. By the time we left, we were the only ones in the restaurant.

Waitstaff is super nice. They comped us a round of drinks and a ricotta plate with their homemade bread. Too bad for lactose guy.

#9 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,210 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:47 PM

Posted Image

#10 jmoranmoya

jmoranmoya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:48 AM

Some pictures from our last visit. The light of this place is not the best for photography, but it can give a good idea of the type of food.
We are looking forward going back again, specially now that we live so close.

Special picture of the artic charT for oakapple :)

#11 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,499 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:51 AM

I tried to go there around 9:45 or 10 PM last Thursday. The place was total bedlam. I am not complaining. I am happy for their success. I am only warning people not to expect to be able to walk into this place at anything approaching prime time.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#12 jmoranmoya

jmoranmoya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:46 AM

I tried to go there around 9:45 or 10 PM last Thursday. The place was total bedlam. I am not complaining. I am happy for their success. I am only warning people not to expect to be able to walk into this place at anything approaching prime time.

Yes, the waits and inability to make reservations at this place are the worst part.
Other option around Allswell that we normally do - if this place is packed - is Betto. It is from the INOteca guys. Not as good, but decent.

#13 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,342 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:11 PM

Deleted my post by mistake.

This is like northern spy/back forty, probably slightly better than the latter, but no burgers.

I think they boil the peel and eat shrimps before finishing them off on the plancha, a shame since they're fine otherwise.

The kitchen will be told about sand in the puntarelle.

Eat the excellent cured char separately from the latke.

Very very slow.
I never said that

#14 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,342 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:24 PM

We work with small farms and everything is made in house.

Yeah? Like you think I didnt get this new whole foods product of pre washed baby kales yesterday? How much baby kale can a person eat?
I never said that

#15 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,342 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:26 PM

Excellent pork chop
I never said that