37 replies to this topic

#1 E.L.A.

E.L.A.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:25 PM

I am getting ready for my annual trek to Orlando for a conference. So while I am there, I eat dinner out every night and for the most part look to avoid Disney. I will probably have a lunch or two out as well. Sure, I might decide to go to the Swan & Dolphin Resort one night and go to Il Mulino -- but for the most part I look to avoid Disney.

So is there anything new and exciting in Orlando. I am going to go to Christini's one night and might decide to head down to I-Drive and go to Taverna Opa.

What are some of your favorites in Orlando?

1) Sushi?
2) Steak?
3) Seafood?
4) Nice, casual, etc. -- I am thinking Ravenous Pig!

Anything else?

Thank you in advance.

#2 OTB

OTB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 06:04 PM

I am getting ready for my annual trek to Orlando for a conference. So while I am there, I eat dinner out every night and for the most part look to avoid Disney. I will probably have a lunch or two out as well. Sure, I might decide to go to the Swan & Dolphin Resort one night and go to Il Mulino -- but for the most part I look to avoid Disney.

So is there anything new and exciting in Orlando. I am going to go to Christini's one night and might decide to head down to I-Drive and go to Taverna Opa.

What are some of your favorites in Orlando?

1) Sushi?
2) Steak?
3) Seafood?
4) Nice, casual, etc. -- I am thinking Ravenous Pig!

Anything else?

Thank you in advance.

If it's still there, there's a really good family owned ethiopian restaurant called Nile.

http://www.flickr.co...8083@N00&q=nile

For Steak, I like the Texas de Brazil location but it gets VERY busy.
Jason Perlow
Food Blogger, OffTheBroiler.com
Sr. Technology Editor, ZDNet / CBS Interactive
My Flickr Stream: Click Here for Food Photos

#3 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,199 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 08:33 PM

The Orlando Sentinel recently published its readers' choice awards. Although some of them are dubious, others look interesting.

Black Bean Deli - Black Bean Deli is a small mom and pop restaurant that has the best Cuban sandwich you can find. It also has great black beans and rice -- a meal made in heaven! Eat in cozy area or take out.

4 Rivers Smokehouse - 4 Rivers Smokehouse always has a line out the door and for a good reason. They set themselves apart from the other BBQ joints in town, with their famous Tex-style BBQ

Crave - Does your belly need a burger? Search no further than Crave. Explore their spin on the conventional favorites like the Blackened Bacon Bleu or the Truffled Mushroom Burger. Fancy a little more flavor? Then take a bite into the Jambalaya Burger with andouille sausage, chipotle aioli, and tempura shrimp or taste the comforts of home in their PB & J Burger with chunky peanut butter, grape jelly and crispy bacon.

Orlando Sentinel

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#4 E.L.A.

E.L.A.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 08:58 PM

The Orlando Sentinel recently published its readers' choice awards. Although some of them are dubious, others look interesting.

Black Bean Deli - Black Bean Deli is a small mom and pop restaurant that has the best Cuban sandwich you can find. It also has great black beans and rice -- a meal made in heaven! Eat in cozy area or take out.

4 Rivers Smokehouse - 4 Rivers Smokehouse always has a line out the door and for a good reason. They set themselves apart from the other BBQ joints in town, with their famous Tex-style BBQ

Crave - Does your belly need a burger? Search no further than Crave. Explore their spin on the conventional favorites like the Blackened Bacon Bleu or the Truffled Mushroom Burger. Fancy a little more flavor? Then take a bite into the Jambalaya Burger with andouille sausage, chipotle aioli, and tempura shrimp or taste the comforts of home in their PB & J Burger with chunky peanut butter, grape jelly and crispy bacon.

Orlando Sentinel

The link doesn't work -- can you check it again please? Thanks.

#5 E.L.A.

E.L.A.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 09:04 PM

http://www.orlandose...96500.htmlstory

I found the above "best bets" -- I'm not sure if this is it, but it looks like it from the searches.

That said, there's a few tips here -- and that's good -- but I don't need to hear Subway is the best sub-sandwich in Orlando, or that Olive Garden is the runner-up for the best Italian restaurant in Orlando.

Take what you like and leave the rest.

#6 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,199 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 09:21 PM

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/os-bestbets-2011,0,7696500.htmlstory

I found the above "best bets" -- I'm not sure if this is it, but it looks like it from the searches.

That said, there's a few tips here -- and that's good -- but I don't need to hear Subway is the best sub-sandwich in Orlando, or that Olive Garden is the runner-up for the best Italian restaurant in Orlando.

That's the correct link.

In the chain restaurant dominated area of central Florida, I've found that some of the less popular topics (Cuban, sushi, etc) may produce some real winners. There's no way to avoid Carraba's, Red Lobster etc on topics of broad interest.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#7 E.L.A.

E.L.A.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 09:22 PM

http://www.orlandose...249601.htmlpage

Also found this one.

#8 E.L.A.

E.L.A.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:43 PM

http://www.orlandose...96500.htmlstory

That's the correct link.

In the chain restaurant dominated area of central Florida, I've found that some of the less popular topics (Cuban, sushi, etc) may produce some real winners. There's no way to avoid Carraba's, Red Lobster etc on topics of broad interest.

Figured as much. As saturated as they might be, I still can't see a list with Macaroni Grill making the best bet list or anything of the like. There's got to be a Mamma's this or a So-and-so that! LOL. I've been to some excellent places in Orlando -- one has closed, another moved, and so on. I always had the right spots for sushi (closed), Greek, and a few others. However, with steak, you have a few of the "chains" and I still don't label Capital Grille as a chain per se.

Personally, I am just not going to go to the Olive Garden when I am in Orlando. I don't go here in NJ, so it won't happen there either. LOL.

#9 E.L.A.

E.L.A.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:34 PM

Anything new and exciting? Any new discoveries?

Thank you in advance.

#10 Jesikka

Jesikka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:14 PM

Anyone have any recent Orlando suggestions for me? I'm heading there for a training tonight and I'd love to have a dinner plan for a late dinner. My hotel is on Intl Drive if that means anything...

#11 irnscrabblechf52

irnscrabblechf52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:04 PM

the last time i was there, some place called Little Saigon was good. and Numero Uno. that was like 4 years ago though...
Immortal space traveler.

#12 E.L.A.

E.L.A.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:48 PM

Getting ready for my annual conference/trip to Orlando...so what's new?

I'd like to find a couple of "local" type, casual places...I still like to avoid Disney. I already have my fill of "fancy" or "fine dining" so I am set there. What else is around? Than you in advance.

#13 E.L.A.

E.L.A.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:03 PM

Here's the best bet list for 2013...

http://www.orlandose...92801.htmlstory

Again, I am not a fan of Burger King appearing on a list of best burger places...but as I've said...take what you like and leave the rest...

#14 E.L.A.

E.L.A.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:17 PM

And here's another one...much more on-point, and credible IMO...

http://www.orlandose...33.photogallery

#15 E.L.A.

E.L.A.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:21 PM

Here's the actual list...

http://www.orlandose...110678.htmlpage