4 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,199 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 02:26 AM

Food scientist Harold McGee offers his thoughts on why dry aged meat tastes so damn good.

But sometimes we can get our food to make itself more delicious, by treating it in a way that creates favorable conditions for the enzymes that are already in the food to work together in a certain fashion.

Enzymes are molecules that exist in foods-and in microbes intimately involved with food-that can transform those basic, bland building blocks. They're nanocooks-the true molecular cooks. Dry-aging, ripening, and fermentation are all processes that take advantage of enzymes to make foods delicious before cooking.

Most meat, by contrast, is prepared for the market very quickly. The animal is slaughtered, the various parts of the muscle system are separated and packages, and then they're distributed. That's about it.

much more in the Gizmodo article, noted by Eater

Article in Gizmodo

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#2 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,770 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 04:39 PM

The bits that follow, on taste perception, are worth reading, too.

I don't want to seem obsessed with this, but . . . -- Sneakeater, August 13, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#3 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:36 PM

I must remember to use orthonasal in my conversations from now on.
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#4 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,351 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 08:37 PM

He used to write better pieces. He explains what dry aged meat is, but not why we like what we should probably want to avoid.
I never said that

#5 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,557 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 09:42 PM

If anyone ever explains why we like what we should probably want to avoid, that person will be one of the most important in human history.
Bar Loser

MF Old