12 replies to this topic

#1 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,888 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:51 PM

If time is limited, and the traveler has never been to Spain, which city makes a better destination, considering a day or two for side trips? Food is important, of course, but gastronomy is not the primary consideration.

#2 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,798 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:02 PM

Five hours and twenty minutes by train from Seville to Barcelona. Why choose?
I never said that

#3 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,888 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:20 PM

I'm afraid that it wouldn't give me enough time in either place. (I'm finding Spain overwhelming.)

#4 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,445 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:36 PM

you can't go wrong with either. There is more stuff to do in BCN, Sevilla suffers less from disnification and is more laid back.

Eating is much less a reason to go to Sevilla. I think the day trips might be better. Also a day in Granada to see the Alhambra if you have not been should be a priority if you are in the south.

One thing to keep in mind is weather. Seville even in early spring/late fall can be damn hot.
Why not mayo?

#5 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,888 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 08:00 PM

Granada is a definite side trip, for at least a day, if we choose Seville. Day trips from Barcelona would be Girona and Montserrat. We are looking at mid-April. There is a possibility that we may be able to get away for two weeks, in which case the "problem" would be resolved.

#6 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66,673 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 08:21 PM

If you've never been to Spain, Barcelona is your number one destination. For someone even moderately interested in architectural history, let alone fanatical about it, there's no need to think further.

As for side-trips, Montserrat is half a day, and worth doing. Otherwise, I'd devote all the limited time you have to Barcelona. A week will barely scrape the service.

Choosing Granada or Seville would be like a first time visitor to the States choosing Savannah and Charleston over New York. If you do make Granada or Seville your base, over my protests, do spend a day in Toledo.

#7 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,798 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 08:28 PM

I'm afraid that it wouldn't give me enough time in either place. (I'm finding Spain overwhelming.)

I imagine your interest in architecture and history makes Seville and vicinity more interesting than I find it but an entire week still seems like a lot to spend in that region, whereas spending two days there and five in Barcelona can work.

eta: didn't notice Wilf and AB already responded.
I never said that

#8 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,888 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:50 PM

I imagine your interest in architecture and history makes Seville and vicinity more interesting

It's actually the architecture and history that make Barcelona interesting to me. Seville seems more culturally Spanish (rather than Catalonian) and particularly beautiful in a more emotional, romantic way.

#9 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,798 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:52 PM

Whatever.
I never said that

#10 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,008 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:35 AM

I imagine your interest in architecture and history makes Seville and vicinity more interesting

It's actually the architecture and history that make Barcelona interesting to me. Seville seems more culturally Spanish (rather than Catalonian) and particularly beautiful in a more emotional, romantic way.

I love Barcelona, and would counsel more time there than in Seville because I think it more interesting for lack of a better word. But there are places and things in Seville that are heart-stoppingly beautiful in just the way you describe. I once described it as enchanting, and I think that's apt.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#11 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66,673 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:43 AM

In a sense, if you go to Barcelona you will miss Spain - at least, the Spain of romantic imaginings, which is very much Andalusia, with its powerful Moorish influences. Barcelona just isn't as Spain-y, but it's magnificent in its own way.

Again, seeing New York isn't quite the same as seeing America, but I'd put New York first.

#12 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,489 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:52 AM

i'd vote Barcelona as well (and i just got back from Seville). You could spend 2 days in Seville - you don't need a week, unless you want to do it very leisurely. It's all about Barrio Santa Cruz and everything is so close. The Alcazar in Seville is fabulous, gives Alhambra a run for its money. Ther cathedral's exterior impressed me more than the interior. Cordoba side trip - don't need more than half a day. One advantage in April - orange trees in blossom, disadvantge - the tourist season kicks off. Food forgettable. Barcelona - so much to do and see: Gaudi, Gaudi, Gaudi, and more. And to eat :lol: (yes, i know it's not a priority for you but the food was so eh in Seville. Granada was much better.)
“Eat me,’’ it says. “Eat me and die.’’ -- Jonathan Gold

Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it's not the end.

#13 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,888 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:49 AM

Thanks, everyone. So far, we will be based in Barcelona for a week toward the end of March.