4 replies to this topic

#1 Nancy S.

Nancy S.

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:27 PM

Wow -- what an awful movie. The dialogue was laughable -- as if the movie were a parody. The acting was not much better.

#2 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,136 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:00 PM

I am sorry to hear this as I am obsessed with Viggo Mortenson, and, to a lesser degree, with Michael Fassbender. Mortenson has been getting very good notices for his portrayal of Freud, too.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#3 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,965 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:35 PM

I didn't think it was that bad, which is not to say that it's a good movie, just a very self-conscious "prestige" costume drama that might have worked better as a play. I thought Viggo Mortenson was very good.

#4 Nancy S.

Nancy S.

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:22 PM

I didn't think it was that bad, which is not to say that it's a good movie, just a very self-conscious "prestige" costume drama that might have worked better as a play. I thought Viggo Mortenson was very good.

How about the scene where Jung has dinner with Freud and his family. Given that Jung (so far in the film) has exhibited impeccable learning, manners, attire, etc., it was most absurd that he took 4 or 5 portions of the meat, clearly knowing that there were many, many other hungry mouths to feed around the table. Was this some sort of Mary Tyler Moore reference -- now that was a great scene when Lou takes 3 slices of the roast meant for a table of 6 diners at Mary's dinner party!

#5 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

I really liked this movie, so much so that I saw it at the movies then a week later at home. I've never been drawn to Jung (and Mortensen does a fine job as Freud in stating the reasons why), but Fassbender made Jung a very sympathetic character. I thought Knightley was fabulous, but then I always do.

Nancy, I thought it was funny that Jung was always eating big portions of food. He probably did in real life.
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid