15 replies to this topic

#1 Nancy S.

Nancy S.

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:50 PM

I read that Saxelby is selling Animal Farm butter -- the very type used at Per Se, for $59 for 2 pounds!

#2 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,593 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:31 PM

I read that Saxelby is selling Animal Farm butter -- the very type used at Per Se, for $59 for 2 pounds!

cheaper to buy dinner at per se and keep asking for butter to put in a ziploc bag in your purse

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#3 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,610 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:35 PM

If per se saw you doing that, they'd probably give you a zip-lock bag and a purse to take the butter home in so you wouldn't wreck the purse you came in with.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#4 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,068 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:42 PM

Is it good?
I never said that

#5 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:43 PM

Is it good?

It's very good, but not $30/lb. good.

#6 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,948 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:48 PM

What is animal farm butter? Is it butter made from Animals, like bone marrow butter, or what? I am so confused.. Isn't most butter from animal farms.. Do, i need to repost the photo of the butter in the PDUTCH market that comes from the guys cows that live outside his back door?

Not trying to be stupid but, what is Animal Farm Butter? Where is it from? I made butter once when I made a mistake and over whipped my whipped cream.. should i have sold it
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#7 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,049 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:51 PM

Wow. That's pretty steep.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#8 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,068 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:52 PM

I think it costs me more to make cultured butter from illegal-milk-club cream and then it goes bad pretty quickly.

Nancy - do they sell smaller quantities or just 2lb?
I never said that

#9 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,347 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:53 PM

Daniel, it seems it's a farm in Vermont, named Animal Farm because it's in a village called Orwell. So you can have a chuckle about the name while spreading your $30lb butter very thinly on your toast.

#10 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,948 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:58 PM

Ahhhh.. It's not like local so, yeh, you can keep your blood diamond butter.
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#11 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,593 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:59 PM

If per se saw you doing that, they'd probably give you a zip-lock bag and a purse to take the butter home in so you wouldn't wreck the purse you came in with.

i know, that's why i'd ask. that way i'd get free butter and a nice new purse and save 20 cents on a ziploc bag!

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#12 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,049 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:12 PM

I think it costs me more to make cultured butter from illegal-milk-club cream and then it goes bad pretty quickly.

Doing the math, I think I could make 2 lbs of butter from very good cream (local, small herd, grass fed, pastured, HTST pasteurizing, etc.) for about $18. So maybe with labor, packaging, and distribution $30 isn't that bad. It certainly is shocking when you see that number in print.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#13 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,068 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:17 PM

Doing the math, I think I could make 2 lbs of butter from very good cream (local, small herd, grass fed, pastured, HTST pasteurizing, etc.) for about $18. So maybe with labor, packaging, and distribution $30 isn't that bad. It certainly is shocking when you see that number in print.

Yup. And don't forget the cost of farmland out east is just insane.

You also realize how amazing the Keller marketing apparatus is - I mean Bordier is only about $12/lb. I think Echire is about the same.
I never said that

#14 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,921 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:18 PM

Maybe Cooks Illustrated could include this butter in its next taste test...

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#15 Eatmywords

Eatmywords

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:21 PM

Each cow is repeatedly hugged and nuzzled under a human breast before milking which justifies the price.