523 replies to this topic

#1 Nancy S.

Nancy S.

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:45 PM

I recently read that the "head consulting chef" at the new Acme Bar & Restaurant (same location as the former Acme Bar & Grill) will be Mads Refslund. My husband and I ate excellent dinners at Reflund's restaurant in Copenhagen, called MR, before it closed. Prior to opening his own place, Refslund, together with Rene Redzepi, launched Noma. I will be curious to see how his cooking translates in New York.

#2 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:59 PM

That is incredibly strange. I suppose the new Acme is not going to have much resemblance to the old Acme. Is it going to be all seafood?

PS -- What's a "head consulting chef"?
Bar Loser

MF Old

#3 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,064 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:16 PM

That is incredibly strange. I suppose the new Acme is not going to have much resemblance to the old Acme. Is it going to be all seafood?

NOLA + NOMA = ?
I never said that

#4 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,414 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:01 PM

Miguel Sanchez Romera?

Because it's allowed doesn't mean it isn't creepy. -- Sneakeater, April 10, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#5 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,414 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:02 PM

NOLA + NOMA = ?

NO NO

Nutria with a petroleum sauce?

Because it's allowed doesn't mean it isn't creepy. -- Sneakeater, April 10, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#6 Nancy S.

Nancy S.

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:32 PM

Mads Refslund's food was really delicious at MR, and the style and service of the restaurant were wonderful. I too am a bit confused by his title, but if, in fact, he has full reign of the food and preparation, I imagine that he could present some tasty meals.

#7 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:34 PM

I have a feeling he will see very little of the preparation.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#8 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:15 PM

It's hard to believe it, but Acme is now The Most Exciting Restaurant In New York.

It's in soft-opening phase. I went last night. Mads Refslund -- now called the "executive chef" rather than the "head consulting chef" -- was in the kitchen. I know this is true: he emerged and sat at the bar at the end of the night. We exchanged words. The bartender claimed Refslund is there for the duration. I don't believe it. Get there while you can.

The publicity (by which I mean a particularly clueless Eater post) says the food "still has a Southern accent." Maybe Southern Denmark. This is baby New Nordic, all the way. It's reminiscent of Koedbyens Fiskebaren in Copenhagen (although it loses out on ingredient quality). Low-key New Nordic, at popular prices.

Did I say this is now The Most Exciting Restaurant In New York?

I started with a cold appetizer of prawns in a sort-of-terrine with raw bison meat and some kind of lettuce. It had that typical I-don't-know-what-herbs-they're-using New Nordic flavor profile. And an interesting texture.

Then, turbot. I had two cocktails during Noche Flamenca before dinner, and one cocktail here before dinner, and a glass of wine with my appetizer as well as my main dish, and I just don't remember what the turbot was served with. It was excellently prepared, though -- and I remember thinking it was delicious.

As a side, I ordered some quasi-exotic type of carrots served in a vinegary sauce -- again, that distinctive New Nordic flavor profile.

There's one way the new Acme actually beats Copenhagen: they've come up with cocktails in the New Nordic style, which at least as of 2010 Copenhagen had failed at. I had a cocktail with gin, basil, and other stuff that I just loved.

The NYC restaurant this is most like, you'd have to say, is Isa. Although it's not as much fun as Isa -- not nearly as cool -- the food, I think, is even better.

Now the disclaimer: this is baby New Nordic. Don't go in here thinking you're going to be eating as at MR, Refslund's onetime Copenhagen fish restaurant. It's haute casual food. Fairly simple. No advanced cooking techniques. Few crazy ingredients.

But, this food, at these prices, at . . . Acme? I can't believe it.

ETA -- COMP DISCLOSURE: An after-dinner drink. (As if I needed it.)
Bar Loser

MF Old

#9 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,290 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:29 PM

Wow. This is the place that used to be a music club and southern kitchen?

#10 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:32 PM

Yeah. That place.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#11 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,865 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:36 PM

Yeah. That place.

I don't remember all the shows I saw back then, but a particular Alex Chilton show was a killer.

Is it F & F or just a "soft-open?"

Nashville Skyline

Follow My Blog:  Tasty Travails

#12 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:40 PM

Not F&F. Just a "soft open".
Bar Loser

MF Old

#13 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,290 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:04 PM

Wayne Kramer springs to mind. Brother Wayne Kramer, that is.

#14 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:38 PM

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the idea that one of the opening chefs of Noma is now cooking at Acme on Great Jones Street. It's just unbelievable.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#15 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,923 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:11 PM

How exciting!

Thanks for sharing this. .
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.