531 replies to this topic

#286 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,129 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:33 PM

I could have sworn that, earlier today, Eater had an item reporting that the owners of Acme and Mads Refslund were going to open another, slightly fancier, restaurant, this time in Soho. But it seems to have vanished. Another flashback?
Bar Loser

MF Old

#287 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,018 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:28 AM

I could have sworn that, earlier today, Eater had an item reporting that the owners of Acme and Mads Refslund were going to open another, slightly fancier, restaurant, this time in Soho. But it seems to have vanished. Another flashback?

It is still in my RSS reader.
Why not mayo?

#288 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69,997 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:26 PM

I finally made it to Acme, although even on a Sunday evening it was heavily trafficked by lovely young people. To my surprise, I found the food, if not leaden, then certainly mildly favored and served in huge portions. Not what I'd expected at all. And the wheatgrass granite with fallen fruits was disgusting. Not in the same league as the dinners I ate at Isa a few months back.

More at the Pig.

#289 TaliesinNYC

TaliesinNYC

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,290 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:24 PM

oh no.

I was all set to go here based on Wells' enthusiasm, but now I shall have to dial my expectations back a bit. :(

#290 Jesikka

Jesikka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:47 PM

I ate brunch there last week and it was awesome. I ate food there a week and half ago that was as good as alwasys. It sounds like an off night and/or meal.

#291 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,129 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:57 PM

I think it's partly a matter of expectations. Even in my "The Most Exciting Restaurant In New York" write-up, I tried to express a caveat that this is essentially fancied-up comfort food rather than anything truly radical. I think people like me may not have emphasized that caveat enough. (It's also why I think Spanish Hipster was disappointed with Acme.)

I'm not backpedaling. I love this place. But I do think you have to manage your expectations.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#292 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69,997 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:18 PM

I didn't feel I ordered wrong. I saw some of the other touted dishes, and didn't think I was missing out.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice. But I was expecting at least Isa-level excitement. I would tell anyone to go to Empellon C. three times before going here.

#293 Jesikka

Jesikka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:25 PM

I think it's partly a matter of expectations. Even in my "The Most Exciting Restaurant In New York" write-up, I tried to express a caveat that this is essentially fancied-up comfort food rather than anything truly radical. I think people like me may not have emphasized that caveat enough. (It's also why I think Spanish Hipster was disappointed with Acme.)

I'm not backpedaling. I love this place. But I do think you have to manage your expectations.

Oh, agree completely. I actually misread the original post- I thought he said it wasn't as good as it used to be. Yeah, Acme is not doing anything revolutionary, but I also haven't found things to be mildly flavored.

#294 Jesikka

Jesikka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:27 PM

I didn't feel I ordered wrong. I saw some of the other touted dishes, and didn't think I was missing out.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice. But I was expecting at least Isa-level excitement. I would tell anyone to go to Empellon C. three times before going here.

I don't agree. Based on my visit to Empellon C, I don't feel any need to go back any time soon, whereas I eat at Acme pretty regularly.

#295 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69,997 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:27 PM

Also, it was $120 worth of nice, before tip. $70 plus tax was food. I didn't feel like it was a three-figure splurge meal, except in quantity.

#296 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69,997 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:31 PM

I don't agree. Based on my visit to Empellon C, I don't feel any need to go back any time soon, whereas I eat at Acme pretty regularly.

I'm shocked. I've had dishes at Empellon which were incredibly good - as good as anything I've eaten this year. The headcheese tacos, the crab flan, the egg-filled gordita. I'd run back for any of these. (Not to mention that the cocktails are really good.)

I'd be interested to know which dishes really appealed to you at Acme.

#297 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:35 PM

I finally made it to Acme, although even on a Sunday evening it was heavily trafficked by lovely young people. To my surprise, I found the food, if not leaden, then certainly mildly favored and served in huge portions. Not what I'd expected at all. And the wheatgrass granite with fallen fruits was disgusting. Not in the same league as the dinners I ate at Isa a few months back.

The Pig review sounds more positive than this short summary of it -- though clearly you're not as ecstatic as Wells and the other "early adopters." Of course, it's possible that Acme has slipped, and it's possible that Isa has slipped too. As Sneak always reminds us, most restaurants get worse, not better, with time.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#298 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69,997 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:37 PM

I did foreground the wheatgrass in my post here. I do hate wheatgrass, so it was my own fault.

#299 Jesikka

Jesikka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:37 PM

I'm shocked. I've had dishes at Empellon which were incredibly good - as good as anything I've eaten this year. The headcheese tacos, the crab flan, the egg-filled gordita. I'd run back for any of these. (Not to mention that the cocktails are really good.)

I'd be interested to know which dishes really appealed to you at Acme.

I'm nuts for the barley and clam dish and the chicken and egg. I've had a number of great fish dishes. They're nothing new, but I really like the cauliflower egg and the sunchokes.

I honestly think my experience at Empellon is a matter of expectations as well. I was looking for Topolobambo and to me the food is just modernist cuisine with some Mexican flavors thrown in here or there. I didn't eat any of the dishes you named, so I'll make sure that I do when I return. To me it was just a lot less layered and Mexican than I was hoping. I did have several good cocktails, but that didn't make me want to return at those prices.

#300 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69,997 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:38 PM

I'm nuts for the barley and clam dish and the chicken and egg. I've had a number of great fish dishes. They're nothing new, but I really like the cauliflower egg and the sunchokes.

Thanks, Jesikka. Yes, expectations are very important. I think a fish dish might have been a better idea than the pig cheeks, but it was Sunday night in a thunderstorm and I needed comforting. Honestly, the pig cheek dish might have been more fun if I could have seen what I was eating. It was basically brown things on a plate.