4 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,034 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:34 PM

Eater has a guide to dining options at the Minneapolis St Paul airport. Unfortunately for travelers on Southwest, which uses terminal 2, just about all locations are about a mile away at terminal 1.

There's even a walking trail inside the terminal 1 structure, which will allow you a one point four mile walk. For folks less athletically inclined, there are several bars. Here are some of their top suggestions. There's a much longer list in the article.

1) Surdyk's Flights: ---grab-and-go case for fancy sandwiches, salads and cheese plates. Have a minute? Settle in for some small plates and a wine flight. --- [Terminal 1, The Mall]

French Meadow Bakery & Cafe: ---organic restaurant with plenty of vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free options available for your dietary restricted fellow passengers. Surprisingly large breakfast menu--- [Terminal 1, The Mall]

Ike's: --- Try the Weekender Bloody Mary (with beer back!) and a burger or an omelette, depending on time of day. [Two locations: Terminal 1, The Mall and Concourse F]

Axel's Bonfire: ---A solid dinner at a decent price (for an airport)--- [Terminal 1, The Mall]
[Photo: Axel's Bonfire]

Rock Bottom Brewery: The food ---is serviceable, but you're not here for the food. --- craft beer that's brewed in Minneapolis. [Concourse C]

Terminal 2 customers are out of luck. Two bars, and that's it. Better to stash your gear, take the (free) light rail to terminal 1 and enjoy that feast. Trains run about every 10 minutes during the day in my experience.

MSP

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#2 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,114 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:14 PM

Ike's is your best bet by far for edible food. Bonfire is good if you're looking to hook up with very drunk middle management types (of any gender) in their late 30s (you can use to the Larry Craig memorial stall that's just a few minutes away)
I never said that

#3 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,472 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:58 PM

Ike's is your best bet by far for edible food. Bonfire is good if you're looking to hook up with very drunk middle management types (of any gender) in their late 30s (you can use to the Larry Craig memorial stall that's just a few minutes away)

Completely agree about Ike's. The burger and the prime rib are always good (safe) choices.

#4 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,193 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:00 AM

I thought French Meadow was OK, but I only had a standard breakfast (toast, eggs, and sausage). How can you screw up a standard breakfast?

#5 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:46 PM

Completely agree about Ike's. The burger and the prime rib are always good (safe) choices.

Yep. I rarely eat there since I'm only there at the start and end of a trip but if I do have a meal I eat at Ike's. Low expectations are the keys to successful MSP eating.

French Meadow is OK for grab and go.

Note that all Bonfire restaurants are approximately as Orik describes. Not just the airport one.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.