#1 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,932 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:27 PM

http://www.unionporkstore.com/

So, the wifey has just moved to a new job in Union NJ.. Which means, I will be dropping her off and picking her up ever day. Some people would look at this as a burden, I am appreciative that I get to spend more time with her and that it takes me to a new area.., I love new areas because, well, they are new places to eat.

So, after a brief perusal of the land, I have found some fun things in Union.. There is a sub place, a couple of bagel shops, a few diners, a Hot Dog place, a Chef's Warehouse or Depot Place, and this Union Pork Store.. Because of timing and the holiday, I really have not had time to go to any of these places but, they are high on my list. I just can't justify shopping for more food when, we are stocked for the next few weeks.

However, I did go in the other day on a recon mission. I met this really sweet lady there who was behind the counter. I told her my story, that I live in BK, that I am in the area now, and she was so happy to show me around.. They make their own deli meats, they have 30 types of sausages, they have liver wurst, imported cheeses I have never heard, they make their own hot dogs, beautiful in house smoked ham hocks, nice looking rye bread, groceries both German and Polish, they smoke fish, salmon, lox, trout, they make jerky, and they have cuts of meat, roasts, steaks, pork and meat.. She is a super proud, no nonsense German Lady.. She is awesome!

Anyway, I guess this is the start of me writing about this place.. Check out their website, the sausage section alone is ridiculous.Something like 80 sausages.
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#2 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,768 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:32 PM

that looks great. now i miss that place in Grand Central even more. Is there any store like that left in Manhattan?

By the way, let me know when you guys are ready to sell your BK townhouse and move to Jersey.

And she was.

#3 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,932 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:43 PM

that looks great. now i miss that place in Grand Central even more. Is there any store like that left in Manhattan?

By the way, let me know when you guys are ready to sell your BK townhouse and move to Jersey.

Haha.. That's what so many people say.. However, if that would occur, we would rent out our place and move their temporarily.. I can't pay NJ taxes..

#4 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,905 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:16 PM

Union Pork Store is a wonderful place. If you enjoyed it, I'm sure you would enjoy Lutz's Pork Store, which is at 1055 Stuyvesant, a few yards north of Morris Avenue. it's been mentioned here on occasion.

The family makes the sausages in the back.

ETA: Here's the NY Times article on Lutz's

Lutz's

=========

Gaiser's European Specialties is a few blocks west at 2019 Morris Avenue. meats, breads, mustard, etc

Edited by Rail Paul, 30 December 2011 - 03:22 PM.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#5 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,932 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:33 PM

Oh awesome.. That is cool, looks like I might be moving to Jersey after all! How do the two compare? Have you ever done a side by side.

#6 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,905 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:43 PM

Oh awesome.. That is cool, looks like I might be moving to Jersey after all! How do the two compare? Have you ever done a side by side.

I've not compared the three (Union Pork, Lutz's, and Gaiser's) side by side, but each has superior quality meats. I have a few clunkers over the years, but not many. In the summer, and around the holidays, the places become a zoo. People buying 10 pound packs of these sausages, cheeses, breads, etc.

You might want to sample, and see what you think.

Don't forget that Wine Library is just a 10 minute ride up Morris Avenue, too. Your wife will probably discover the Short Hills mall on her own.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#7 hotdoglover

hotdoglover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 03:49 PM

I live in Union and just came home from the Union Pork Store. I've posted about them, Lutz's, Gaiser's, and Fritz's (now gone) on here before. All very good, but in Union most people consider the Union Pork Store the best of the three. I would agree. As for side by side comparisons, I've only had a few items from each. Hot dogs, bratwurst, and kabanosy. Union Pork Store has the best of each in my opinion.

I recently did a hot dog tasting featuring Union Pork Store, Kocher's (whose franks are served and sold at Karl Ehmer's in Hillsdale), Thumann's, Pulaski, and Schmalz. Schmalz makes the packaged franks for Lutz. On this particular day I preferred the frank from the Union Pork Store. For a German style beef/pork frank, this is top of the line. I spoke with the sausage maker a few minutes ago who told me that the franks are 60% beef, 40% pork, absolutely no additives or preservatives and made with whole cuts (rather than trimmings) of quality beef and pork. New Jersey Monthly did a short piece on these franks a few years ago.

The bratwurst is the best I've had. And that includes Usinger's. A friend travels from Pennsylvania to pick up these brats for his parties.

The other places are good too. Lutz was a stop on the New Jersey Hot Dog Tour 2 years ago. They graciously put out a spread for 2 busloads of hot dog fanatics.

Gaiser's used to provide franks for the famous Galloping Hill Inn hot dog stand at Five Points in Union. The people who bought the GHI in 1988 were afraid that Gaiser's would be sold (it was) so they took the recipe and now have their dogs made by Grote & Weigel of Connecticut.

Union has a lot of good places to eat. Joe's Pizzeria in the Vauxhall section is one of the best pizzerias around. I also like Proud Pappas. Church's Chicken (not the chain) makes the best fried chicken I've had. Galloping Hill Inn is a classic roadside joint serving one of the best hot dogs in the state. There is also Burnet Barbecue and Mario's Italian Restaurant. Carmens is one of the better bakeries.

I'm sure there are other places I can't think of now, but Union is fairly large with many good restaurants and stores. Manny's Texas Weiners. Lioni Lattacini for cheese. A great Italian deli at Five Points whose name escapes me. PiPaola bakery. Benito's Italian restaurant. A favorite of Governors McGreevey and Codey. And more that I'll post about when I think of them.

#8 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,932 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:26 PM

Wow, thanks so much, J.. I really appreciate you doing that write up and providing other places.. I am so excited.. I have been eating way too much meat lately so, I am now on a fish thing for the next couple of days and then heading out of town for a week.. So, I am thinking my Union Pork Store relationship will be blossoming come Jan 16th!

#9 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,932 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:31 PM

Ok, so me and my man Jabi have a burgeoning friendship. Perhaps I have a crush. It is a lot of fun speaking with him because he is so enthusiastic. He is a young guy, like 30 to 35 years old and seems to be the mastermind behind of lot of the production.. He shows me these amazing ham hocks, they are huge, I buy a couple, he shows me this bone in bacon he is boiling in the back, I buy 5 pounds, he runs into the back and comes out with a steak tartare on a piece of rye bread with pickles and onions.. He is so proud, I happily eat it.. It's 8 in the morning and a great breakfast.

I have gone to the Pork Store perhaps 4 times in the last month. I really love the Polish Ham they have.. It is medium rare slices of ham with a beautiful ribbon of fat surrounding the pink juicy ham.. There is a smokey taste and it's just awesome. Today for example, I will be putting slices of the ham with over schnitzel I made last night.

In addition to the Polish Ham, I have another favorite item there.. It is this raw pork puree with lightly smoke with garlic.. They make it in house and it's just wonderful spread.. It's like whipped pork fat with little pieces of ground pork. This is a delicious spread..

This morning, I went in to order about 20 tenderized pork cutlets. His eyes light up.. He gives me what is ready and I leave with it.. I will come back tonight at 6 to pick up the rest. He is giving me credit.. I say, let me pay now, he say's for 20 bucks, you are not going to run off.. That means you would never eat this food again. He is right.

The German Potato salad with their homemade bacon is pretty brilliant... Anyway, I am slowly working my way through the store.. A few more visits and I will bust out the camera. Big fan of this place.

#10 hotdoglover

hotdoglover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:09 PM

Forgot about the German Potato Salad with bacon. I get it most of the time I stop in. Definitely try their German franks and bratwurst. You can buy as little as one each. I would recommend only buying what you intend to have within the next day or 2 as these sausages have no preservatives. They are delicious.

#11 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,932 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:20 PM

So, I have a lot of people from my wife's new job going over to Union Pork Store.. It appears that when she brings lunch, people have been starting to ask questions about what she is eating.. Someone also spoke of Pulaski Meat Market in Linden.. I read on yelp that they too make their own hot dogs.. Have you tried Pulaski?

#12 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,768 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:34 PM

About those 20 pork cutlets. . .
About when would those be getting cooked?

And she was.

#13 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,905 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:55 PM

Pulaski Meats

...Jonathan Waxman

#14 hotdoglover

hotdoglover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:43 PM

So, I have a lot of people from my wife's new job going over to Union Pork Store.. It appears that when she brings lunch, people have been starting to ask questions about what she is eating.. Someone also spoke of Pulaski Meat Market in Linden.. I read on yelp that they too make their own hot dogs.. Have you tried Pulaski?

Yes, I was there about 2 months ago to buy some hot dogs. They are excellent as well and are carried by some A&P's in Union County and some other supermarkets. In the same league as Union Pork Store, Kocher's, and the Kielbasy Store (formerly Continental Provisions) they are 60% pork, 40% beef with a fairly tight casing and good snap. Pulaski is bigger than other pork store/butcher shops I've been to. Like a small supermarket. You can also get a hot dog prepared there to eat. They were unavailable when I went because they were out of hot dog buns. I've only had their franks, and kielbasy, which was very good. They have many kinds of kielbasy.

#15 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,932 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:29 PM

I am so porked out and the belt is getting a little tight.. The Union Pork Store is going to get me in trouble for certain.. Being that you are a citizen of Union, I might ask you about some Italian Place I passed by the other day.. It looked like an old Italian Pork Store. I got of on 78 and instead of taking the right onto Liberty, I think, I stayed straight or something and noticed an old school Italian looking place. I passed it on my left before making a right to get on Morris ave and eventually have to make the left at the light to get on to Liberty Ave.. Not the one on Morris Ave but, a different one.. I have been looking for that but, can't remember what I did..

Also, there seems to be an interesting looking Filipino restaurant on Morris as well as Red Cadillac.. Any insight on these place would be appreciated.. I am meeting someone for lunch in Union this Thursday and will most likely opt for the Manila place..

Thanks.