12 replies to this topic

#1 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,352 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:36 PM

A knockout show for fans of the Broadway musical, as Patti and Mandy segue seamlessly and more-or-less thematically through a collection of familiar and unfamiliar showtunes from all over the map.

Highlights include a condensed "South Pacific," and it had never occurred to me to see Patti as Nelly Forbush; and in the second half, a condensed "Carousel" which is as tear-jerking as ever.

The stars are old friends, as Mandy explains in some detail, have fine chemistry, and are in good voice. Patti does "Everything's Coming Up Roses," rather than "Rose's Turn," but it's wonderful to see Mandy re-create his solo version of "Buddy's Blues," as a contrast to Danny Burstein's current performance which has it - as originally written - as a trio.

Second half begins with Lloyd Webber's tune from Evita, in both versions. :lol:

#2 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,551 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:40 PM

Years ago I saw them together in Evita at the Wintergarden. They were outstanding.

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52

#3 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,627 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:17 PM

I saw them in Evita, too, now that I think of it.
I think post-Yentl, he's turned into an obnoxious bore. And I think in many ways he ushered in the modern technique for "singing" on Broadway. He make my skin crawl.

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#4 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,551 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:26 PM

I've never seen Yentl and that's not an accident.

FWIW, Patinkin delivered an outstanding performance in Homeland, a cable mini-series on Starz.

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52

#5 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,415 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:21 PM

I'll pass. Two of my least favorite performers. In Anything Goes, she had all the magnetism of a piece of plastic. And I still can't forgive his "acting" as Hotspur in Henry IV Part 1, thirty years ago. He had to rock back and forth and plant himself before delivering each line. Even Tony Curtis ("My fadda da kalif") would have been better.

But I'm sure that for those who love them, the show is terrific.

Because it's allowed doesn't mean it isn't creepy. -- Sneakeater, April 10, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#6 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:39 PM

When I first say this I thought "suicide pact?".
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#7 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,627 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:57 PM

When I first say this I thought "suicide pact?".

That made me laugh.

I thought she was terrific as Rose. She added some sex appeal to the role and made her even sympathetic. She can also be a little strident, but that's show business, I guess.

I remember seeing the show about the recording of South Pacific. I think he has a tight little voice that doesn't appeal to me. I'm not saying he was great in Yentl (although he was kind of hot then), but since then he seems very full of himself, almost like he's confusing confidence with talent.

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#8 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,352 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:55 AM

Gosh.

Rancho, you should see Mandy live. His voice knocks down walls. But I do know what you mean. He's an unusual singer, with a very high tenor range and a big baritone. I think what you refer to as the "tight little voice" is his high register, but when he booms, he really booms.

#9 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,921 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:40 PM

The show is limping along, barely selling above 50% capacity. I'd expect discounts are widely available for anyone who would like to see the show.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#10 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,950 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:50 PM

Yeh, I got tickets.. Mandy and Patty are literally my wife's two favorite performers.. We had planned on going to see him sing Yiddish at some theater in QUeens last year but, were out of town. She is super excited and I am too, for her.
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#11 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,921 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:56 PM

Yeh, I got tickets.. Mandy and Patty are literally my wife's two favorite performers.. We had planned on going to see him sing Yiddish at some theater in QUeens last year but, were out of town. She is super excited and I am too, for her.

Dee and I saw the road tour in 2010 at the Newark Performing Arts center. It was a work in progress, but they seemed to have a good time reminiscing, singing their favorite show tunes, etc.

Patti had a lot of fun belting out the songs from Sunset Boulevard, and poking a little fun at others who've played and sung the role

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#12 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,352 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:14 PM

Yes, I got good discounts. It wasn't full. A bit of a niche show.

#13 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,352 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:08 PM

Gosh.

Rancho, you should see Mandy live. His voice knocks down walls. But I do know what you mean. He's an unusual singer, with a very high tenor range and a big baritone. I think what you refer to as the "tight little voice" is his high register, but when he booms, he really booms.

Someone just shared this with me. A great illustration of what I was saying, especially at 2:02 and 3:16. Take the roof off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MCVsMSsIJU&feature=player_embedded#!