27 replies to this topic

#1 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,900 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:02 PM

I really liked it, but it deserves the mediocre reviews it's getting. It is a movie version of a book, much of which is investigation and not action. For the most part it's done very well and true to the novel. Daniel Craig is a bit too Bond at the beginning, with the sharp, intense movements and speech patterns. But he seems to lighten up as much as his rugged handsomeness will allow. Rooney Mara is excellent as Lisbeth. She's as good as Noomi Rapace -- better in some ways because she appears smaller and less attractive. For the most part it's a well-made movie of a book that doesn't translate so well to the big screen. I think anyone who didn't read and enjoy the book will be very disappointed.

I don't know what they were trying to do with the accents. Some of the actors try, in some scenes, to do something that seems like it might be Scandanavian. More the most part, this is one of those films that think the rest of the world speaks with a British accent.

The opening credit sequence is a dark music video with that bitchin' techno version of The Immigrant Song. It has nothing to do with the movie (other than some computer cables) but it's quite awesome.

Robin Wright-don't-call-me-Penn is still fucking gorgeous.

And she was.

#2 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:37 PM

I felt that Daniel Craig was a bit too muscly and action star like to be Blomkvist. And the Salander from the book came to life. The music done by Trent Reznor was fabulous. That opening sort of special affects Beyond The Minds Eye meets the Crow with the music was pretty intense. It set the mood and darkness for the whole movie.

I am definitely looking forward to the remaining movies. i might have to go again to see this one.
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#3 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,286 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:57 AM

How does it compare to the Swedish version? If someone enjoyed the latter, would s/he also enjoy this one?

#4 tsquare

tsquare

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 01:04 AM

We loved the Swedish version(s).

I did not care for the opening credits, M did.
I was bothered by the faux accents but can accept that this needed to feel more Swedish than it might have had they not tried.

I found myself drifting away from the movie at times - thinking I knew what was coming next (and it generally was), wondering how this might impact Rooney's career overall (though I have no idea what type of career she might want), and in general not feeling as glued to the screen. With the Swedish version, I had to pay such close attention to follow the story and read the subtitles that the rest of the world faded away.

I haven't read any of the books.
We will most likely see the next two.

#5 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,623 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:21 AM

How does it compare to the Swedish version? If someone enjoyed the latter, would s/he also enjoy this one?

i was wondering the same. the trailer gave the impression that many of the scenes were exactly the same as in the Swedish film
“Eat me,’’ it says. “Eat me and die.’’ -- Jonathan Gold

Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it's not the end.

#6 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,286 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 03:03 AM

i was wondering the same. the trailer gave the impression that many of the scenes were exactly the same as in the Swedish film

I haven't read any of the books, but I enjoyed the Swedish versions enough to think I would not enjoy the US versions if they were merely replicas. And if there are fake Swedish accents in the US versions, they will likely drive me nuts. I hate fake accents in movies.

#7 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 03:32 AM

Good question. I thought the Swedish film was so faithful to the book.
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#8 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69,577 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:53 AM

I'd heard the books are absolutely dreadful. True?

#9 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:43 AM

No. Story starts off like something new (can't recall if I've read one or two of them), but feels formulaic in the end. Page turner and entertaining along the way.
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#10 Nancy S.

Nancy S.

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:21 PM

Yes, at least for me. I found the first painful to read. In fact, I could not finish it, but tried, for the sake of my husband (who did, indeed, like the series).

#11 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,900 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:52 PM

Good question. I thought the Swedish film was so faithful to the book.

They're both very faithful to the book, from my recollection and the current film is, therefore, very similar to the Swedish film. The main difference to me was the Blomkvists. The Swidish guy was very "everyman", whereas Daniel Craig is Daniel Craig. There is also a difference, perhaps a quaintness to my ear, of the Swedish accents "leesbith saaalaandeeer" compared with the odd mostly British accents in the current movie. Whether it's better or worse, I don't know. The American version is also darker, people dress more stylish, and are generally more "attractive" in that Hollywood way that will lead to people here claiming wrongly that the woman who played Erika in the Swedish version is every bit as attractive as Robin Wright.

And she was.

#12 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:06 PM

I haven't read any of the books and don't intend to. What will this movie do for the state of my psyche?
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#13 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,286 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:29 PM

I haven't read any of the books and don't intend to. What will this movie do for the state of my psyche?

If you haven't read any of the books or seen the Swedish movies, I'd not attempt to watch this one quite yet. The Swedish movies were quite disturbing to me, and it took a bit of time to shake off that darkness (but violence in movies always disturbs me--I'm a bit of a wimp that way). If the US versions are similarly dark and disturbing, I'd not watch them unless I were in a very stable state.

#14 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,900 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:03 PM

There is one brutal rape scene; a fairly mild, although perhaps disturbing torture scene; quick violence against animals; and brief (too brief, considering the story line) discussion of rape.
Otherwise, it's always bright and sunny on Sweden.

And she was.

#15 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,021 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 03:46 AM

I've read all three. They are not literature by any stretch of the imagination, but they are page-turners, perfect for turning into movies. You aren't missing anything if you don't read them. You probably aren't missing anything by skipping the movie, either. I have no intention of seeing the movie(s) because I found the violence horrifying enough in print; I have no desire to see it on the screen.