55 replies to this topic

#31 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66,676 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:52 PM

Will Husk be hard as a walk-in, or making a reservation nearer the time?

#32 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,473 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:54 PM

Reserve well beforehand. My uncle was just down there, tried to reserve Husk about a week or two before and it was booked (they may have space, but it's popular space!). Fig wasn't a problem.

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#33 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66,676 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:14 PM

Thanks.

#34 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,611 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:02 PM

Reserve well beforehand. My uncle was just down there, tried to reserve Husk about a week or two before and it was booked (they may have space, but it's popular space!). Fig wasn't a problem.

I'd agree with this.

Husk had space for walk-in patrons after 1pm, and after 9pm on the day we visited. We received a same day reservation for 10 or 10.30, but they told us to stop by around 9pm "just in case". They seated us about half way into the first drink.

I understand that Sean Brock's company is very concerned about not overbooking or making people wait. The result is a fluid dining room at Husk, and probably McCrady's. The people were wonderfully pleasant.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#35 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,611 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:05 PM

an impromptu getaway to the area next week with stops at Cary to meet with friends at some local brewpub, then couple of nights in Charleston (day trip to Savannah), Asheville, and the last stop somewhere at Blue Ridge.
This thread is very helpful - made a reservation for McCrady's; would love to get recommendations for breakfast places and sightseeing (Paul's link is carefully studied :) )

Also any suggestions for food along the route...

Howd'ja make out with the trip?

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#36 robert40

robert40

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:09 PM

Lunch I made same day. Dinner about two weeks in advance.

#37 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,656 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:40 PM

Dinner at Fig was excellent. Similar to Husk in style, local food, excellent cocktails and nice wine list. Service was very relaxed and efficient. The coddled egg with crabmeat, peas and cream is sensual. The suckling pig served as a square brick highlight what is great about suckling pig. A very crisp skin and succulent fatty meat. All capped off with a delicious homemade mint chocolate chip ice cream.

And outside of Charleston, had dinner at the Fat Hen. I thought it was going to be more of a touristy gimmicky spot but the food was excellent low country fare. Their most popular dish is "The Rib" which is a gargantuan short rib that is first cold smoked for 2 hours, braised for 5 more and then grilled with a homemade bbq sauce. Super rich, better to share as eating an entire one is a bit much. The bacon cheese grits was pretty good too.

And at Kiawah Island, most surprised with the excellent Jasmine Porch at The Sanctuary. I thought this would be a run of the mill hotel restaurant served to people that were more interested in a tee time than a good dinner but the food here is also very good.

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#38 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,611 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:50 PM

Guy Fieri showcased a restaurant named "Fuel Cantina" the other night on his Diners, DriveIns, and Dives program. Looked pretty good, with Caribbean ingredients, local seafood, etc.

The restaurant's website appears to be down, but the discussion of Yelp is decidedly mixed. Some people liked the huevos rancheros, salads, etc, while others felt the cooking was awful, prices were high, parking was scarce, and the neighborhood was "skech" as one post put it. That might be a little harsh. We drove through the area on our way to connect with US 17 and saw a diverse neighborhood with lots of bbq, Mexican food, Caribbean groceries, a few music places, etc. I guess it depends on what you see when you look around. It's a mile or so from the "tourist" area of Charleston.

Fuel Cantina

211 Rutledge Ave
Charleston, SC 29403
(843) 737-5959

...Jonathan Waxman

#39 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,611 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:49 PM

Charleston made a "weekender" article in the Wall Street Journal this weekend. Many suggestions about what to do, where to drink and dine, etc.

The liked the Slightly North of Broad restaurant "Executive chef Frank Lee gives local ingredients expert treatment—as in the trademark "maverick shrimp and grits," a creamy concoction piled with country ham, sausage, tomatoes and green onions." The parent company also runs the well regarded High Cotton restaurants. Maverick

Saturdays are farmer's market days, so a trip to the old market is in order. It's a block long brick warehouse with open sides, and booths out in the parking lot. Market

Have a taxi take you up King Street for dinner at the Macintosh, a brick-walled, wood-beamed space where chef Jeremiah Bacon (yes, really) has been wowing diners with dishes like perfectly grilled deckle (the flavorful cap of a rib-eye steak that's unusual on menus) and rich bone marrow bread pudding (479 King St., themacintoshcharleston.com). ]

Chef Bacon will be cooking in June at Elements in Princeton NJ.

Walk down the street to Closed for Business (453 King St., closed for business). The industrial-eclectic bar has more than 40 beers on tap, and unlike many drinking spots in town, it isn't packed with college kids. If mixers are more your thing, the nearby Cocktail Club serves artisanal drinks, some with its house bitters (479 King St., second floor, cocktail club charleston).

Long weekend

...Jonathan Waxman

#40 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,611 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:28 PM

Chef Frank McMahon made Eater's list of Hot Chefs.  His Hank's Seafood Restaurant (Hayne and Church in Charleston) has an excellent sounding menu...

Shiitake Mushrooms, Seasonal Greens,
Fried Mashed Potatoes, Ginger Lime Coriander Vinaigrette ............30
GRILLED SWORDFISH
Fried Okra, Sauteed Spinach with a Sweet Corn, Leek,
and Ham Hock Bisque ...................................................................26
PEPPER CRUSTED BEEF TENDERLOIN
Crushed Cauliflower, Potato, Parsley and Blue Cheese
Cipollini Onions and a Red Wine Beet Reduction ...........................33
ROASTED SALMON
Roasted Fingerling Potatoes, Asparagus and Grape Tomatoes
with a Grain Mustard Horseradish Vinaigrette ...............................26
RARE SEARED TUNA
Caramelized Onions, Oven Roasted Tomatoes and Goat Cheese
with Black Olive Vinaigrette ..........................................................29
ROAST GROUPER
English Pea and Lobster Risotto with a Shrimp Basil Butter Ju s .......
SHELLFISH PASTA
Linguine with Shrimp, Scallop, Mussels and Clams
in a Shellfish Saffron Lemon Jus ....................................................

menu:  http://www.hanksseaf...inner_Hanks.pdf

http://www.hanksseaf...t.com/index.cfm

...Jonathan Waxman

#41 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,703 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

Ok, cool.. Heading to Charleston in a month or so.. I will have to book a night here. 

Thank you

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#42 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,611 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:03 PM

Dee and I had an impromptu dinner at Husk last week.  It remains at the top of the restaurant game.

The focus on locally sourced products continues, and is showing considerable benefits. North Carolina sparkling wine had a very pleasant, bubbly taste. The restaurant was among the earliest adopters I was told.   A bacon infused chocolate porter

Sea Island red pea hummus with pickled ramps, Ambrose Farms tomatoes, Geechie Boy corn cakes, and Georgia olive oil.  I liked this a lot. Served in a small three legged iron pot, with the corn cakes on the side.  An abundance of flavors.

Dee had an Ambrose Farms salad: arugula and strawberries, glaed beets, candied pecans, Georgia blue cheese, country ham vinaigrette. The strawberries were wood smoked, which provided a different and engaging fragrance and taste.

Dee had the Mibek Farms strip steak with roasted cauliflower, herbed carrots, Mepkin Abbey mushrooms, and marrow jus.She ordered a Russian River pinot to go with that.  Liked the steak a lot, was less impressed with the cauliflower.  She liked the steak (perfectly cooked, but with the grassy finish typical of natural beef), wasn't as impressed with the vegetables.

Virginia heritage pork from Adam Musick with creamy pit beans and smoky tomatoes and lacinato kale. The pork was served on the bone, perfectly cooked but I found the meat tough to cut. One tendon got in the way, and cutting around the bone took a while. Good flavor, but the vegetables were superb. I could eat the beans and tomatoes seven days a week.

Lots of nice touches, like butter infused with pork fat and honey (I thought immediately of Dave Santos and Louro) with a pretzel finish roll.

Pecan tart was suitably sticky and gooey. I had a snifter of the Ezra Brooks 12 year old single malt. Generous serving prob two oz. Knocked me on my butt.

The restaurant was about 1/2 full at 7pm.  We called earlier, and they were happy to accomodate us. The house wasn't full during our visit although the downstairs rooms and upstairs rooms were in use. Our server told us that Sean Brock and several of his purveyors were hosting a table at the Taste of Charleston tent city a few blocks away.

Service was wonderful. Attentive, observant, careful.  Absolutely nothing to criticize.

Not a cheap establishment.  With tip, the bill was slightly over $200.

-------------------------------------------

The principal reason for our detour was an opportunity to visit the HGTV Dream House on Kiawah Island.

The TV network sponsors a house building and decoration as part of an annual give away.  Working with local contractors and national sponsors, HGTV throws up a house in a luxury area, and raffles off the house and furnishings to a lucky TV viewer. Previous dream home locations have included the Yellowstone area, the south Georgia coastal islands, Txeas, etc.

The home is located on an estuary, with a bird reserve adjacent. It's on 15 foot pilings, which makes for a steep set of front steps. Huge picture windows facing the water. The glass is a German high impact, hurricane resistant designs which cranks inward for cleaning, and also opens conventionally. Propane gas service. Three bedrooms, four baths, can sleep ten with bunk beds and other built in devices.  A Chevy Tahoe his and hers sea kayaks and all furnishings are included. And a half million in cash to pay the taxes.

Kiawah is not a place visited by accident. There's a main gate where credentials are reviewed, liccense plates photographed, and a colored guest pass issued, etc. Many homes are inside this first level of security. There's a second gate / checkpoint farther down the road, with more neighborhoods inside that perimeter. The HGTV house is in this sector. There's a third gated area inside the second area with its own attended checkpoint and guards.

...Jonathan Waxman

#43 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,611 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:36 PM

I want to throw in a mention of Hyman's Seafood (215 Meeting Street), about four blocks from Husk.

When we walked past on our way to Husk, there was a large crowd standing outside the filled seafood restaurant.  Relatively young crowd, many people had drinks, etc. Festive. A woman had a clipboard and asked if we were already on the list.

When we backed back past Hyman's a few hours later there was still a decent sized crowd waiting outside the filled seafood restaurant.  Smaller than before, but probably 30 people.  Slate board of specials, list of local fisher purveyors, and a happy hour from 4 to 7 pm.

No experience with them, but it did win a Southern Living citation as Best Seafood Restaurant in South Carolina, FWIW

http://www.hymanseafood.com/

...Jonathan Waxman

#44 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,611 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:40 PM

The Ordinary, a new Charleston restaurant, made the James Beard Foundation's regional list for best new restaurants.

Oyster Sliders

Baked Otter Island Oysters, Bottarga Butter

Steamed Clams & Braised Pork Shoulder, Chili

BBQ White Shrimp, Charred Bread

Clam Cake, Coriander Crème Fraîche

Crispy Skate Wing Sandwich, Chow Chow Tartar

http://eattheordinar...the-restaurant/

...Jonathan Waxman

#45 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,703 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:38 AM

Just booked the flight this morning.  Made a reservation at Husk for Monday the 1st.  I am in town for a friends wedding.  I am trying to rent an apartment.  VRBO, AirBnB, all don't seem that great.  I obviously know it's last minute.  Worse comes to worse i can get a hotel room.  Easter weekend isn't helping things.  

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.