19 replies to this topic

#1 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,864 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:16 PM

Needless to say, I was skeptical. But this was very good. Really very good. I haven't been to Motorino, Keste or those other fancy pizza places that have some people all a-flutter. I only had two smallish pieces of Roberta's -- which was very good. This place is as good as I remember Roberta's being and, other than personal preferences, I've got no criticisms.

We started with the Sorrento salad, with arugala, berries, balsamic, almonds and riccotta. A good salad with a nice pile of baby arugula. The arugala wasn't particularly spicy, but it is the middle of winter.

The fried pizza. They have two types of fried pizza. The first, the Montanara, is a fairly regular pizza in which the dough, after being rolled out, is first pan-fried in olive oil. Then it's made per usual in the big wood burning oven. I thought this was terrific. The frying left the dough lighter, just slightly crispy. The tomato sauce was fresh and flavorful. And the crust -- although a tad thin for my preferences in the middle -- was still chewy and substantial.

The other fried pizza is more of a calzone, but the crust looked thin and it wasn't packed full of cheese and sauce. We didn't get one, but they looked good.

We also got a Porta Capuana with arugula, prosciutto, and pecorino. I would have preferred the arugula sauteed instead of fresh, but the the pizza was still very good. The un-fried dough is pretty standard, with a nice bit and chewiness. Again, the crust was a tad thin in the middle, but that's personal preference.

Nice room. Service a little slow, but I think they had some production issues when we were there.

And she was.

#2 uhockey

uhockey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:20 PM

Needless to say, I was skeptical. But this was very good. Really very good. I haven't been to Motorino, Keste or those other fancy pizza places that have some people all a-flutter. I only had two smallish pieces of Roberta's -- which was very good. This place is as good as I remember Roberta's being and, other than personal preferences, I've got no criticisms.

We started with the Sorrento salad, with arugala, berries, balsamic, almonds and riccotta. A good salad with a nice pile of baby arugula. The arugala wasn't particularly spicy, but it is the middle of winter.

The fried pizza. They have two types of fried pizza. The first, the Montanara, is a fairly regular pizza in which the dough, after being rolled out, is first pan-fried in olive oil. Then it's made per usual in the big wood burning oven. I thought this was terrific. The frying left the dough lighter, just slightly crispy. The tomato sauce was fresh and flavorful. And the crust -- although a tad thin for my preferences in the middle -- was still chewy and substantial.

The other fried pizza is more of a calzone, but the crust looked thin and it wasn't packed full of cheese and sauce. We didn't get one, but they looked good.

We also got a Porta Capuana with arugula, prosciutto, and pecorino. I would have preferred the arugula sauteed instead of fresh, but the the pizza was still very good. The un-fried dough is pretty standard, with a nice bit and chewiness. Again, the crust was a tad thin in the middle, but that's personal preference.

Nice room. Service a little slow, but I think they had some production issues when we were there.

Nice. Looking forward to this one.

If you want to remedy your having never been to Keste and such you can come eat a buncha pizza with us on the 23rd.

#3 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,616 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:24 PM

i like montanara pizza a lot - the crust IS different and the inside dough softer. i tried theirs in BK and another place in Midtown, i'm sure there will be more places doing it soon too.
“Eat me,’’ it says. “Eat me and die.’’ -- Jonathan Gold

Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it's not the end.

#4 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 40,940 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:26 PM

Fried pizza is a reality.

(Obscure Funkadelic reference)
Bar Loser

MF Old

#5 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,111 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:38 PM

Had a really wonderful experience here last night in Brooklyn.

The ingredients are all top notch.. Homemade mozzarella, caputo flour from Italy, Tomatoes from Italy, beautiful pizza oven from Italy, Soppressata from Italy, waiters, from italy.

The room is beautiful. It was getting darker as the night progressed..

We started with the arancini and an arugula, orange, olive and fennel salad. The arancini was really nice. Had some meat in it, it was log shaped which I found interesting. The salad was light and refreshing. A perfect "winter" salad.

We ordered the fried pizza and the fried calazone which came with soppressata, smoked mozzarella, and ricotta cheese..

The fried pizza or montanara was really delicious.. It was lightly fried and then baked.. The frying definitely left it with that fried dough sweetness.. The pizza was still light and airy though, certainly more dense than what a baked pizza would have been.. The sauce and cheese was really nice..

The calzone is where we had a slight issue. We felt it was extremely heavy with the soppressata.. It threw off the balance of the calzone. The soppressata was really porky and delicious, there was just too much of it.. It hid the smoked mozzarella flavor. The texture was amazing.. It was not soggy. I was able to split it in half and hold the half of calzone with my hands.

Miss K had her own pizza and claimed it to be as good as Saraghina and Sotto Casa.. So she was super happy.

We had a quartino of their house Sangiovese for 11 bucks and it was about 4 glasses.. Which is a nice deal..

For dessert we had millefoglia. It was a light crunchy pastry with marscapone and cream with some chocolate and nutella drizzled around.. I literally could eat have eaten 10 of these things.. I used a lot of restraint as I was going to order at least a second one. And by showing restraint, the misses shamed me into stopping..

For pizza fans, this is a must try.. The regular pizza is as good as any of the top places around town.. Good stuff, we will be back for sure.
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#6 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,124 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:04 PM

From our recent "Manhattan Pizza Crawl" (see other thread... to be fair, Roz & Ghostie weren't as impressed as we were):

"...Forcella (Bowery off E. 3rd/Bond): I heard about the fried pizza and was skeptical. The fried pizza is very good, the inventive white pizza with corn (yep, corn) was very good and the calzone was very good. All in all, the most interesting of the day for me, even though I was already pretty full. As I said, very good. And a nice modern room with personable staff. Worth checking out. I wonder how the Bklyn branch is".

At some point I'll gather all my thoughts and photos but I largely agree with Steve.... Forcella stayed open for us when they were supposed to be closed. That alone got them points. Then the food was incredible - best pizza of the day for me by a slim margin over Keste.

Glad to hear the Bklyn branch is as good.

This space available… contact owner.

#7 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,263 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:44 AM

Tried the Bowery location. While I dislike the genre in general, I found it substantially worse than keste. The dough was undercooked (not just the center) on the regular pies, and the fried pie tasted like fried donuts. Then again, the place was practically full of italian tourists, many of them from Napoli or nearby, I'm sure they know something I don't
I never said that

#8 uhockey

uhockey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:54 AM

Tried the Bowery location. While I dislike the genre in general, I found it substantially worse than keste. The dough was undercooked (not just the center) on the regular pies, and the fried pie tasted like fried donuts. Then again, the place was practically full of italian tourists, many of them from Napoli or nearby, I'm sure they know something I don't

Maybe an off night, because the fried pie was barely oily at all when we visited - more a bit crisp. The standard was definitely wet, but I attributed that to our toppings of creme fraiche along with the cheese.

All in all I liked Keste's Neapolitain style the best of any I've had in New York.

#9 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,836 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:37 PM

Orik - why go to Forcella if you don't like that style of pizza? Not questioning your critique or challenging the ability to make relative judgements for something you don't care for, but rather - why eat what you don't like?

BTW went to Don Antonio's on Sunday. Now that was a fried pizza that tasted like a doughnut. The non-fired pizza was excellent tho. Certainly up there with the best places in town.
Why not mayo?

#10 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,111 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:27 PM

I had a Caesar salad slice of pizza last night at Anna Maria in Williamsburg.. It was around 2 am.. I loved it then but, i would not recommend it now.

#11 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 40,940 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:44 PM

I KNEW IT
Bar Loser

MF Old

#12 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,263 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:36 PM

Maybe an off night, because the fried pie was barely oily at all when we visited - more a bit crisp. The standard was definitely wet, but I attributed that to our toppings of creme fraiche along with the cheese.

All in all I liked Keste's Neapolitain style the best of any I've had in New York.

I know the center tends to be wet, but the ring of dough surrounding it was very under-cooked too. I'm sure this may vary from night to night depending on who's on oven duty.

AB - It's not like eating poison or anything. I think it's a silly thing to fetishize but if friends want to try a new place then I don't sit there actively hating the bread and cheese we're stuffing our faces with (which doesn't mean I suspend judgment of gluten development, char, topping quality, etc.).
I never said that

#13 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,111 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:52 PM

I KNEW IT

you missed out.

#14 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 40,940 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:10 PM

Doesn't sound like it.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#15 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,111 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:14 PM

I didn't say you missed out on something good.. You just missed out.