No replies to this topic

#1 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,923 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:50 PM

1. I dropped my keys and while fishing them off the ground noticed underneath the seat that the seat was, in fact, produced and manufactured by the "Torture Products" division of Halliburton. Honestly, how do they expect people to enjoy a three and a half hour performance while sitting on cloth-covered plywood and steel?

2. What? Speak up. I was towards the back, and I found that I had a lot of trouble understanding the actors. I could hear them fine, I just couldn't make out the words in the sounds they were projecting. Some of them -- Buckingham, Margaret, Anne, I understood probably less than 50% of their words. Spacey had a few good rants -- i.e., condemning Hastings -- and I really felt that it would have been good to know what he said. Rather, I heard a throaty chorttle, similar to Chris Berman at the end of the Fastest Three Minutes in Sport. I understand, of course, that acting Shakespeare requires lines to be blasted out in spurts of arpeggios, but I wish they had someone not overly familiar with the dialogue sit up in the gallery on those awful seats for a rehearsal to yell, "enunciate, for the love of God, speak the words!"

3. I thought the play was spectacular. Loved the stage and lighting. Spacey's performance was incredible, although SethG's (I think) criticism of Daniel Day Lewis in There Will be Blood could be applied here -- Spacey was so over-the-top compared to any other character it was a little silly at times. (I know it's Richard III, but it tread close to comparison to The Goodbye Girl.) The other men on stage were mostly interchangeable, other than Buckingham, I couldn't tell them apart). The women stood out well when they could be understood. The decision to cast two women as the young heir and duke of york was silly -- they looked like they came from a Saturday Night Live skit. Loved the drums.

4. The directing was a bit much at times. It's nice to play up the humor in Shakespeare, but it went to far in places.

Spoiler

And she was.