25 replies to this topic

#16 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 40,249 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:21 PM

I know what you mean. But it isn't as bad there as you might think. The weird "extra" flavors don't impinge that much. (Kinda like what Wilfrid thinks is the effect of the smoked okra in the Oyster Slider remoulade.)
Bar Loser

MF Old

#17 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,688 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:28 PM

Actually, the pie (peach) for which I braced myself was quite delicious. Well done. See how ready I am to praise where praise is deserved.

The Dutch

Always fair minded. :cool:

#18 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,688 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:10 PM

The menu at this place looks quite appealing. Whelks, choucroute, duck confit. They even dare serve a smoked meat sandwich.

Is it packed with trendsters?

#19 uhockey

uhockey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:17 AM

The menu at this place looks quite appealing. Whelks, choucroute, duck confit. They even dare serve a smoked meat sandwich.

Strongly considering checking this place out for breakfast before visiting the New Museum one day - the duck confit hash browns caught my eye. Will report back.

#20 Nancy S.

Nancy S.

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:54 AM

Strongly considering checking this place out for breakfast before visiting the New Museum one day - the duck confit hash browns caught my eye. Will report back.

So far, all reports that I have read have been disappointing, especially since, for me, Motorino is the best pizza is Manhattan.

#21 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 40,249 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:41 PM

This place is neither as bad as you fear it might be, nor as good as you might hope.

When you're actually sitting there about to order dinner, the menu seems a bit less interesting than you thought it would. Isn't the thing about diner menus that they're VAST, with virtually limitless choices? Not so here.

It is nice to see whelks -- Wilfrid has got me on a sort of whelk kick (for which I'm grateful) -- but I opted to go with the steamers. For some reason, I had hoped that this place would do what no Manhattan restaurant in memory has yet done: make this favorite dish of my childhood right. THEY DID IT. Indeed, they did it by "elaborating" it. It would not have been apparent to me that steamed clams would taste beyond great if dipped into a side bowl of "confited duck fat" (whatever that is). But guess what? They're FANTASTIC that way. The fatty duck flavor somehow is a wonderful counterpoint to the flavor of clams. The clams otherwise come the right way -- in their own broth -- and are well cooked (my bowl containing only one reject).

I then had to try the Bowery Burger. The one with the pastrami on top. I couldn't really judge the quality of their housemade pastrami like this. What I COULD judge is the fact, now known to me, that I DON'T LIKE HAMBURGERS TOPPED WITH PASTRAMI. I understand the bacon analogy -- but in reality, pastrami doesn't taste anything like bacon. And I don't want it on top of my hamburger.

Otherwise, potential consumers should note that the burger was more of the In 'N' Out "stand" variety than the "pub" variety.

I had one of the spiked milkshakes for dessert, modified by me to suit my then mood. I don't remember what it contained, actually. It was good. But not as good as pie would have been.

Greg Sieder's (sorry, I forget how you spell Greg's name) cocktail list is fine. The by-the-glass wine list is serviceable -- but you only have to go to the Brooklyn Diner uptown to see how much better "serviceable" is than awful. You can say you don't need a wine list in a diner -- but this is all food with culinary pretenses.

The place was pretty empty at about 11 on a weekend night. Their attitude reflected that lack of custom: they were MUCH friendlier, nicer, and more welcoming than you'd expect at a potential "scene". I don't think this place is bad, and I wish them well. But I don't think it's great, either.

COMP DISCLOSURE: Several alcoholic beverages.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#22 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,688 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:56 PM

Oh, I thought it might be horrible late on a weekend night. That increases the chances of me going.

There's a gastropub called The Wren recently opened on The Bowery, and a glance at the crowd made me run screaming away.

#23 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,656 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:02 PM

There's a gastropub called The Wren recently opened on The Bowery, and a glance at the crowd made me run screaming away.

Seems to be a Freemans type of place (in terms of the crowd, I mean).
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#24 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,688 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:17 PM

Desperately empty again, late-ish on a Friday evening. Doesn't bode well.

I wasn't sure about dining here, but a spontaneous lunch turned out to be really enjoyable. Good burger, very good smoked meat, not bad duck confit hash (no it wasn't all for me). Amazing milk shake.

But then dinner turned out to be a series of disappointments, detailed at the Pig.

Looking at the online menu today, I think they're backing away from the French elements: whelks, duck confit, choucroute - I don't see them. Raw bar, burgers and sandwiches are what's left, and you know, that might be a wise move.

#25 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,688 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:27 PM

Eater has it on their "heat map" -- which should mean crowds are "flocking there."

The Wren, Saxon + Parole, Peels, and a bunch of other places within spitting distance, yes.
Er...

#26 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,688 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:02 PM

Gone.

The same owner will put a new restaurant in the space, but mean-time will be using it for a pop-up French bistro, Chez Jef.