1 reply to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,904 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:55 PM

Pete Genovese visits the new Jersey City outpost of the popular Philippine chicken and pork joint. Authentic food, with a wide variety of offerings. Kare-Kare (oxtail, ox tripe and chuck), Pancit canton(shrimp, chicken, chicken liver and gizzard), etc

The pork was crispy pata, a formidable piece of pork knuckle with a crackly, fatty skin that was impossible to resist. I blame my sidewalk dining on the friendly counter girl who said they leave the top of takeout boxes open so the meat won’t dry out. The smell of the pork and fat was so overpowering, I just had to stop on the street and rip off chunks of the perfectly cooked skin

He enjoyed the chicken, as well.

The chicken? Tender, with a crispy golden skin that tasted fine fresh or reheated in a convection oven eight hours later. A whole chicken is $12.95, a half $7.95. The crispy pata ($12.95 small, $17.95 large) may be even better; whether eaten at home or on the sidewalk, the pig knuckle is a juicy snap-crackly delight.

687 Newark Avenue, in Little Manila (where else)

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#2 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,925 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:11 PM

Yes, now that me and Miss A are in NJ we are going to try to eat in Jersey once a week.. Jersey City is definitely a place we are going to have to explore.. Specifically for their Filipino Food.
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.